Tim Kask Speaketh
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:05 am 

I'd like to point out to people having missed it that in Dragontooth's forums there is a very interesting Q&A thread with Tim Kask (if you don't know who was Tim Kask, you didn't complete your homework). I discovered it yesterday surfing the net in the store (to avoid the very unpleasant climate here...). It's long (I guess it reached 40 pages  8O ) but worthy of our attention.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... f1cf2b8dd9

Just to arouse your interest, Tim Kask has many things to say about David Arneson, not very nice ones  :!:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:41 am 

Sounds similar to Richard Snider's comments about him.  I guess Arneson was not that easy to work with.   :(

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 am 

Kask has posted here as well. I seem to recall him acting quite elitist, but I'm not positive.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:59 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Kask has posted here as well. I seem to recall him acting quite elitist, but I'm not positive.

I met Tim at the LGGC earlier this year. He was a great guy, not elitist in the least. He is pretty opinionated, which is actually quite cool. :)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:23 am 

Wasn't Kask the one who posted those incredibly convoluted auctions?  I never could find my way to the actual item descriptions.  Just endless cryptic lists and cross-references among threads.  'Course, that might say more about me than it does about him... :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:57 pm 

I haven't read Tim Kask's comments above yet...but when he posts here he is not elitist.

Rather...he acted exactly the opposite.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:01 pm 

Just for the heck of it I thought I would have a look at Tim Kask's eBay profile to see if he has been selling/buying lately.

One of the feedbacks left for him might be somebody worth adding to your blocked bidders list.

User named mbeans hit Tim with a negative for having been asked if the parcel was received and to please leave feedback.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... tForOthers

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:52 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Just for the heck of it I thought I would have a look at Tim Kask's eBay profile to see if he has been selling/buying lately.

One of the feedbacks left for him might be somebody worth adding to your blocked bidders list.
User named mbeans hit Tim with a negative for having been asked if the parcel was received and to please leave feedback.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... tForOthers

thats the kind of thing that really p's me off. there is just totally no need for that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:59 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:User named mbeans hit Tim with a negative for having been asked if the parcel was received and to please leave feedback.

And Tim did not jump down his throat for the negative.  Maybe he felt sorry for the guy (mbeans = 7 total feedback, started in 1999).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:04 pm 

Some people just don't like leaving feedback and feel that the notion that its somehow "obligatory" to be asinine, sort of like the same people that don't leave tips for waiters or waitresses... so, I can sort of understand, but that doesn't make it "right." Annoying, of course.

Tim seems like a nice guy... wish I'd have met him at LGGC.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:58 pm 

I must have confused him with someone else. It happens (as I said, I wasn't positive).

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:17 pm 

serleran wrote:Some people just don't like leaving feedback and feel that the notion that its somehow "obligatory" to be asinine, sort of like the same people that don't leave tips for waiters or waitresses... so, I can sort of understand, but that doesn't make it "right." Annoying, of course.

Tim seems like a nice guy... wish I'd have met him at LGGC.

Always love the guys that don't leave tips...and then go back time and again to the same restaurants.  Uh, guys, the waiters/waitresses DO know who you are, and they DO mess with your food (spit in it, blow nose in it, put crickets in it, and worse).  Both my daughters are/have been waitresses, and have SEEN worse happen to serial non-tippers.

My advice?  You don't want to tip, stick to fast food or the buffet line.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:48 pm 

I've worked as a waiter before... really, it is best to be nice to the staff   8O

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:05 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Kask has posted here as well. I seem to recall him acting quite elitist, but I'm not positive.

I don't know about elitist, but certainly quite picky about his plurals.  The mooses and I will never forgive him.  :lol:

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 pm 

could have been meeses but i think they are smaller. best to stay clear of arneson gygax politics things always get more complex :) :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:40 pm 

As others have said, I wouldn't say he was elitist. Educated certainly, and although the two often go together I don't think it's the case with Tim.

Just reading the DF thread now... up to page 6, interesting stuff.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:48 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:could have been meeses but i think they are smaller. best to stay clear of arneson gygax politics things always get more complex :) :)

Yesteday I saw a pair of meese with a little baby mosling. :lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:50 pm 

I just finished reading all 39 pages that this thread has so far (it's still going).  It's well worth the time for info on the early days of TSR and The Dragon magazine.  A lot of little tidbits, and other early TSR people are chiming in too.

And yeah, Dave Arneson appears to have been less than popular...

Next