What program is finoreddrale using?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:06 pm 

Both finoreddrale and flamesong are regular, repeat buyers of my items on auction.  They are both great folks that simply have a love for this stuff along with the money to gather what they want.  They are readers, users (players) and collectors of this stuff and I am sure they both frequent thhis site.

AWB

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:58 pm 

Interesting discussion and thoughts on motivations for bidding. I must say though that if I were financially in a very good position, I would also be a fearsome bidding adversary.  I have usually taken the patient wait to get items cheaply path, but if I had more cash, I may pay well over just to end the frustration of constantly losing an item.

One of the last modules I got for my common base AD&D module set was I11 needle. I swear I bid on this and lost 20 times before finally getting one for $10. Pretty silly really. Why not pay $20 and save all that wasted time!

Well finoreddrale. We have a thread in your honour now. If you are lurking, why not join us. This forum is fun. And the more that contribute to the core information on the site, the better it gets!!!  :study:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:20 pm 

I find that I have to wait for the surge to end when I want an item.

By "surge," I mean that the appearance of an item on the market often comes with a surge of interest in it.

The item sells for quite a bit the first time and possibly more the second and third times.

When sellers see that a certain item is going for good prices, they rush to put a copy up for auction...with multiple items appearing at the same time.

At this point, the surge buyers are finished buying.  The fifth or sixth duplicate sells for considerably less and the follow-on with the large reserve does not sell at all.

This is particularly true when an item has been discussed on the Acaeum.

I try not to be the surge buyer because after I have paid $15 for shipping, another copy goes up for sale for $2 shipping.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:24 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Irritating as it might be to be outbid by someone who does not know or care about market prices....

With all of this talk about market price, I think most people forget that the Market Price can change daily, weekly, monthly or even hourly.

Wikipedia wrote:
In classical economics, the market price of a good or service is established in relation with demand, and in inverse relation with supply, which is to say the market price decreases as supply increases; increases as supply decreases; increases as demand increases; and decreases as demand decreases. The actual market price will establish a particular price point, valid for a short period which is the meshing of current demand and supply

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_price"

The Market Price for the D1, D2 and D3 modules that I just sold was in the 20 & 30 dollar range even though the valuation board on this site says they are only worth around 10 dollars.

I think Market Price which is short term is being mixed up with the long term value of an item.

Just my thoughts.

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:32 pm 

They are constantly paying two, three, five, and even ten times the going rate of any particular item when they could get it much cheaper if only they would have some patience.

Time = Money.

I think if you were a millionaire, you wouldn't be spending hours on your computer refreshing auction screens to find the newest underpriced BIN to show up.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:40 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Irritating as it might be to be outbid by someone who does not know or care about market prices....

Isn't it great that this guy is so interested in RPG collecting that he has posted 800 bids in 30 days?

We ought to invite him here.

In fact, I think I will...  8O

Oh, he doesn't always outbid me. ;)

That said: I meant to be more expressing confusion as to what he bids on and what he doesn't, rather than actually complaining about him.

If it sounded otherwise, then I apologise to him if he ever reads this. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:40 pm 

I think Market Price which is short term is being mixed up with the long term value of an item.

What's the longterm value of an item? No one here has any idea whatsover, although there are some people that seem to think they do.. I've seen some selling their collections and charging "appreciation" into the price lol.

Anyways, people pay only what they are willing to pay and when they win, they get what they paid for. Everyone has different preferences, life situation, and levels of wealth. Rather than make fun of people "overpaying" for things.. one should be almost admire them as it may mark them as being incredibly wealthy or one who does not waste their time sitting at a computer all day.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:22 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote: it may mark them as being incredibly wealthy or one who does not waste their time sitting at a computer all day.

If you read above, you will find that the Ebay bidder in question seems to be sitting at their computer all day and bidding high.  

The question is actually if the bidder is really that intense or if they are using some unknown sort of automatic bidding.

If I were a millionaire, and inclined to think of my time as valuable, I would snipe.  The person in question seems to be having fun doing exactly the opposite.

As for market value...the viewpoint being discussed is the market value viewpoint of the person losing the auction...and who therefore disagrees with the final price set by the winner.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:05 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote: one should be almost admire them as it may mark them as being incredibly wealthy or one who does not waste their time sitting at a computer all day.

I am not sure people here are making fun.  Take gyg, KoP or FormCritic's posts as examples.  However, for as long as we here spend our time hunting for a (relatively) small number of items it will be very interesting when someone else suddenly starts bidding high on the same items.  It will always be talked about  :D .  As to whether we should admire people who are wealthy...  I tend to admire people for certain qualities they have - that has rarely anything to do with wealth.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:41 am 

Yeah, I don't admire the wealthy either, especially if its flaunted, which bidding on 800 items a week can be construed as doing... but, that's just one way of many to see things. Personally, I could care less. If I want something, I can either pay for it, or wait longer. Or, I can look elsewhere. eBay is not the only option in the universe.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:10 am 

Hi  :D ,

Thanks again FormCritic for the invitation.Where should i start?Ok, as Boreas has stated i am a reader,user(player) and a now a collector.When i first started on Ebay it was to get back all the D&D,AD&D and Battletech stuff i lost in a flood.Which included stuff of my brother and two friends.So what we decided was to pool our money and get everything we lost (Not Rich ).And to be honest i didnt do much searching or homework to see prices etc (Should Have).All i knew is that Ebay tends to have high prices and alot of sniping.So all i had in mind was buy and thats about it.But i didnt want to be known as a sniper so i figured you keep bidding as you did at a regular bidding auction.Keep raising until you were at your highest price willing to spend.Well i kept buying got most of the stuff we lost Except Battletech so far.And i ran into Acaeum about a month or so ago.And saw that it became so much bigger than i thought it was and its something that makes me happy and i enjoy it so much i said why not collect it as well.Ive rambled enough so to get to the bottom line i dont use any programs theres 4 of us that take turns on Ebay me being the one most on it.And nope dont use cell updates either.Yes i am sick and disabled since 91.So Bclarkie was right.I dont feel im stupid just wanted what i wanted at that time and didnt do homework.Did we make some silly bids yep.In a whole all that did write about me was right in some ways and i took nothing as personal or making fun of.We all have our thoughts and ideas thats what makes us all unique and i wont think bad of that person because of that.And red_bus i agree with you 100% with what you just wrote money doesnt make a person.Its the person that makes a person.

Sincerly,

Chris AKA Finoreddrale

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:18 am 

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum  :)  

You were so effective at bidding I thought you may have had some new program that did it!  :oops: But thanks a lot for joining us and letting us know your background.

It must have been heartbreaking to lose all your earlier stuff. Great that you are able to get it all back!!! Incidentally, I just noticed another new member has listed a heap of FASA Battletech stuff in the Classifieds LINK. Reasonable prices too - you may be able to pick some of lost items from there.

You'll find lots of like minded people here!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:42 am 

Hi HermitFromPluto,

I appreciate your welcome!!  :D

Yes it was.But like they say stuff happens and you have to roll with the punches.Thanks!!Great ill take a look i appreciate that!!

Sounds wonderfull!! Seems like most are very close here.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:04 pm 

gyg wrote:It's only way too much if you are buying D&D and the kids aren't getting fed! Let's face it I see the amount of money being spent now and in the past by people such as (but not limited to) the following and I wonder what the f*** is going on in the world, until I realise that if I had the cash I would probably do the same!

(Roll of honour - no offense meant, I'm just jealous! - Burntwire, Aneoth, Lofenloc, Madmaksid (traveller fella), Blackmoor, tfm, red_bus (woody!), theshield2000, masteryaya - sorry if I missed you)

(edit - just read that back and it reads a bit mean spirited - particularly to the guys on the list and to Sauromation
A few years ago when I was spending gobs of money on E-Bay I was earning gobs of spare money at my job... and then 2 years ago I left that Very Good paying job with all the gobs of spending money to open my own company. The E-Baying stoppped immediately. Not because I wanted to but because my financial situation had a major change. Instead of spending gobs of money on D&D stuff I began spending it on supplies, a new work truck, office and field equipment, paying the new companies bills, and yes.... feeding the family.

I didn't bid on anything for about two years. However; I am not totally done with E-Bay and I recently began bidding on cheap D&D items and will continue to do so from time to time. But unless a major change in my money situation happens, The big money rare items are for the big spenders out there. They are well out of my reach for now.

But, if I win the big bucks lotto, or someone leaves me gazillions of dollars in their will to spend as I want.... stand back and watch E-Bay, here I come.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:31 pm 

Hi Chris,

Please tell us how to properly pronounce 'Finoreddrale'!

I need to know this so that the next time I lose an auction to you, and I spitefully shout out your name, I will be saying it correctly...
"Dang that fine-ol-red-trolley!!!!"

I am being somewhat jestful here.  I lose a lot of auctions and have learned to have a lot of funning doing so!

Welcome to the forum.

bonk!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:42 pm 

bonk! wrote:Please tell us how to properly pronounce 'Finoreddrale'!

I need to know this so that the next time I lose an auction to you, and I spitefully shout out your name, I will be saying it correctly...
"Dang that fine-ol-red-trolley!!!!"

So I'm not the only one that does that when seeing a familiar name bidding on an auction!

Welcome to the Acaeum, Chris.  I have always morphed your name into "Finned-Drake" or "Finned-Red-Drake".

Now if I only knew how to correctly pronounce "Acaeum" . . .  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:40 pm 

Welcome, Chris!

Glad you showed up here!

I tend to pronounce your Ebay name as one word, because it looks to me like the name of a D&D character.  "FIN-or-eddale"

But, it strikes me that it could be "Fin o' Red Dale"...that is, a guy named Fin, from Red Dale.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:00 pm 

erm i thought it was a type of cheese from yorkshire, england :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext