Wet UK
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:16 am 

Hi All,

the UK is currently very wet.

Is everyone here dry - and, perhaps, just as importantly, are all your collections dry too?

Cheers,
Malc

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:17 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi All,

Is everyone here dry - and, perhaps, just as importantly, are all your collections dry too?

Cheers,
Malc
The past couple of months here in North Central Texas have been VERY wet.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:27 am 

Anyone who is getting wet can sent me his collection for safekeeping.  M-Bag preferred.   :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:48 am 

Its pretty dry here in Ontario too.  I am also on the Canadian shield that is pretty much earthquake proof.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:56 am 

Cheers,
Malc

malc

we have had pretty bad weather in the north-west, but being on somewhat higher ground, its not been toooo bad, though some surrounding areas are pretty grim. how is it down your way?

central england looks pretty bad indeed! i was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who works in insurance, and she was telling me their company has currently got claims running to £600m or so....add to the rest and thats gonna be one helluva bill!

she was also saying that they cant do general sweeping changes to policies because of government laws (oh but they want to of course), so what they are prb going to do is stop insuring people who live on the flood plains!!!

not good man!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:12 pm 

Hiya Al,

not too bad here in Essex, but yeah, central england looks hammered.

We've got a friend in Newbury who was flooded out on Friday. His doors held, but it came in thru all his air vent bricks. He's lived there 20 years, and not had anything like it. I think he had time to get his rpg stuff upstairs tho  :D  Apparently the water stinks really bad.

Now a third of a million people without drinking water (ironically) and thousands without power....

Strangely, no death toll. I can't believe no-ones died. Either they're keeping it quiet or they havent found many yet  :(

Its chucking it down here again now   :(

Cheers,
malc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:19 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:she was also saying that they cant do general sweeping changes to policies because of government laws (oh but they want to of course), so what they are prb going to do is stop insuring people who live on the flood plains!!!

Well they wouldn't be insurance companies if they weren't trying to figure out some way of not having to pay out. :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:02 pm 

g026r wrote:
Well they wouldn't be insurance companies if they weren't trying to figure out some way of not having to pay out. :roll:

In the states, after the Katrina hurricaine, several insurance companies were sued by the state and federal government for avoidance of payment, to the tune of many millions of dollars. What happened was: If you had wind and storm insurance, well, the flooding caused all your damage, and you weren't covered.  If you had flood and water insurance, well, the wind and storm caused all your damage, you weren't covered.If you had both, your claim was tied up forever as they attempted to find the most advantageous category to put your home under, or try to somehow claim you weren't covered anyway.  It was incredibly crooked.

I think the lawsuits basically forced the companies to pay no matter what the coverage.  Many of the companies, in a pout, then pulled out of those states completely.

My youngest brother has worked in the insurance business for over a decade now.  You have to realize it's a business first, second, and last.  They have zero compasion for you or your family, and every single decision they make in any regard is looking towards their bottom line.  If an agent shows compasion and helpfulness, they won't last long, and they are weeded out.  There is a saying in the business to not insure anyone you are friends with, because when time comes to make a claim, you won't be friends any longer, it's pretty much true.  One of the scummiest and sleeziest industries out there.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:22 pm 

Just fine here. But, I keep all my stuff off the ground, out of boxes, and arranged such that it would take a massive flood to hurt anything... except the computer.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:31 pm 

Badmike wrote:
In the states, after the Katrina hurricaine, several insurance companies were sued by the state and federal government for avoidance of payment, to the tune of many millions of dollars. What happened was: If you had wind and storm insurance, well, the flooding caused all your damage, and you weren't covered.  If you had flood and water insurance, well, the wind and storm caused all your damage, you weren't covered.If you had both, your claim was tied up forever as they attempted to find the most advantageous category to put your home under, or try to somehow claim you weren't covered anyway.  It was incredibly crooked.

I think the lawsuits basically forced the companies to pay no matter what the coverage.  Many of the companies, in a pout, then pulled out of those states completely.

My youngest brother has worked in the insurance business for over a decade now.  You have to realize it's a business first, second, and last.  They have zero compasion for you or your family, and every single decision they make in any regard is looking towards their bottom line.  If an agent shows compasion and helpfulness, they won't last long, and they are weeded out.  There is a saying in the business to not insure anyone you are friends with, because when time comes to make a claim, you won't be friends any longer, it's pretty much true.  One of the scummiest and sleeziest industries out there.

Mike B.

Ooohhh Mike...you better be glad my wife doesnt read this forum.  :wink:

Insurance is like anything else...you get what you pay for.  My wife works for one of the higher end insurance companies and tells me all sorts of stories about the claims she has to handle on a daily basis.  Some of them I have a hard time believing myself they are so crazy.  Most of the time the stories are about the sheer stupidity and greed of the people she has to deal with.  Trying to get tens of thousands of dollars for a simple fender-bender, faking injuries, false claims, etc.  A lot of the time the lawyers are to blame....telling the claimant they can get them a six figure settlement but not explaining that they get 50% of that settlement and the rest is eaten up because of medical bills and attorney and court costs.

Insurance companies are like any other, they are trying to make money on top of taking care of their customers.  They arent non-profit entities.  And they hire people who make mistakes and are lazy just like every other company.  And I am pretty sure that for every story you hear about someone getting screwed over by their insurance company you don't hear about the 100 others that were taken care of and got their belongings, house, and car back because of their insurance company.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:50 pm 

Wet here but no flooding (yet). It is really bad over here in England now - and the worst is set to come later on tonight/early tomorrow.  Looks likely that parts of London will flood too, but mostly the SW and since I am more central I should be OK (fingers crossed).  Having said that my flat is ground floor and the Thames - which is only 100 yards away - is going to get very high...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:51 pm 

The Beeb are covering this pretty well I think (bless 'em).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:12 pm 

Today is actually the first time I have heard or seen any reference to all of the bad weather over there.  It is also the first time I have seen reference to the Thames Barrier.  So I had to look it up....pretty impressive feat of engineering if you ask me.

The article I read mentioned what some think is the causality of all the bad weather.  
Britain had one of its hottest and driest summers on record last year.
 Now that is a bit odd....wasnt last year extremely hot and dry in Texas as well?  Coincidence?  :!:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:52 pm 

Cheers,
Malc

I just purchased a ranch in the Atacama desert. That should keep my collection dry. :jocolor:

Wow. Jokes aside, I was just reading the Yahoo News. That is some serious flooding. Check out the slide show linked to that site.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:33 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Ooohhh Mike...you better be glad my wife doesnt read this forum.  :wink:

Insurance is like anything else...you get what you pay for.  My wife works for one of the higher end insurance companies and tells me all sorts of stories about the claims she has to handle on a daily basis.  Some of them I have a hard time believing myself they are so crazy.  Most of the time the stories are about the sheer stupidity and greed of the people she has to deal with.  Trying to get tens of thousands of dollars for a simple fender-bender, faking injuries, false claims, etc.  A lot of the time the lawyers are to blame....telling the claimant they can get them a six figure settlement but not explaining that they get 50% of that settlement and the rest is eaten up because of medical bills and attorney and court costs.

Insurance companies are like any other, they are trying to make money on top of taking care of their customers.  They arent non-profit entities.  And they hire people who make mistakes and are lazy just like every other company.  And I am pretty sure that for every story you hear about someone getting screwed over by their insurance company you don't hear about the 100 others that were taken care of and got their belongings, house, and car back because of their insurance company.

Well it goes both ways.  The worst customers in that regard are the car insurance customers...my brother worked for Progressive almost a decade, he can tell you stories that are simply nuts (customers that figure their fender bender allows them to get a brand new car, or that basically take a hammer to their car and try to say "hail did it"). And of course the long line of entitled people who figures their whiplash allows them to retire on millions of dollars (which, BTW, despite what you have heard, NEVER happens in those sorts of wrecks..you have to be missing major body parts and/or be dead or paralyzed to even sniff close to that).  But he'll even admit the business pretty much lacks a soul....he has stories of 20 year customers cancelled five minutes after their first $500 claim, just because statistics say that once you claim your first time, the second will occur within the next year, so why not just cut and run while they are ahead (BTW that is an industry wide practice, it's happened to friends of mine several times)....He's also seen legit claims denied just because the company knew the customer was under financial stress...and BTW, if an insurance company denies your claim, you are pretty much screwed unless you have the jack to haul them into court and sue them...which they count on, that way they can settle for far less in a "settlement" that is less than the claim would have been.  And hope to god you don't get a claims agent that is a drunk, drug user, or just plain incomptent, you might wait months or years for a check if they screw up your paperwork. As a matter of fact he just left Progressive because the business practices there have taken an even more hellish bent in recent years, couldn't stomach it anymore.....
 Then again, I'm sure it's like the restaurant down the street who has employees shoving their raw hamburger into their pants before throwing it on the grill, unless you are on the inside you never hear these things, every business has a dark side  We'll catch lunch with him someday and let him tell us about some of his wilder tales.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:30 am 

At least the south of England is where most of the muppets who deny climate change live. There's nothing quite like watching 50% fall off of your house price to make you reconsider your belief system. Maybe they'll buy outboard motors for their 4x4s. :lol:  

I also question the sanity of people who buy a house in an area of the country with questionable drainage and lovely views of the river, and then winge when their house gets wet and their car floats away.

How stupid do you have to be to pat £200K for a pretty house in a riverside town or open a pub in a village on a flood plain.

It's called natural selection.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:20 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:At least the south of England is where most of the muppets who deny climate change live. There's nothing quite like watching 50% fall off of your house price to make you reconsider your belief system. Maybe they'll buy outboard motors for their 4x4s. :lol:  

I also question the sanity of people who buy a house in an area of the country with questionable drainage and lovely views of the river, and then winge when their house gets wet and their car floats away.

How stupid do you have to be to pat £200K for a pretty house in a riverside town or open a pub in a village on a flood plain.

Remember back during Hurricane Katrina...and some UK guys wondering why George W. Bush was not personally leading the rush to parachute into the disaster zone carrying teleporters and personal automated butt wipers?

Most of New Orleans is below sea level.  

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 am 

Badmike wrote:  Then again, I'm sure it's like the restaurant down the street who has employees shoving their raw hamburger into their pants before throwing it on the grill

Trouser food!
While I understand and agree that insurance companies are businesses and are in it to make money, they are also obligated to pay according to the terms of the insurance. This is what the customer pays them for. Attempting to weasel out should be made a federal crime; if it was, you'd see insurance companies paying claims a lot faster.
There should be a lot of flooding in the coming years, given the massive amounts of water being added to the cycle. My gaming stuff is flood-safe now, but I worry for those who have never had to deal with excessive precipitation before.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next