The End
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:04 pm 

8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:36 pm 

Yep, and you can note that the Canadian auction attempted to charge $25 shipping. Likewise the UK auction, though that was a much higher $32. You might note that I used the account to bid on foreign items and questionable sellers, having been burned in the feedback arena for questioning shipping. It appears to me that you are whining about items that you were outbid on. Feel free to contact the sellers and pay the "handling" charges. I'm sure they still have the items. I don't recall eBay having a policy about multiple accounts, although they don't allow shill bidding. Do some more detective work and you will discover no shill bidding.
Your argument is childish. Did you even note that I DID pay for the Aussie lot, since the shipping was agreeable and there were no "eBay", "Paypal" and "handling" charges?
No one complains about you paying stupid amounts of cash for duplicates of what you already have. If I decide to protect my main eBay account by using a second account for what I deem are questionable auctions, that is my right. I could argue that you jack up the prices of items you already have, thereby costing us more money.
Or is this about the Dwarven Glory?.....................

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:51 pm 

:roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:23 pm 

As a member of the ebay community (loud laugh on that one) I have a number of problems with how Frank handled this. Frank, you state that the Canadian auction was trying to charge $25 for shipping and the English auction was $32. How could they try to pull that one off when each of the auctions states a predetermined amount for the shipping, $3 for the Canadian and and £3 for the UK. If they actually did try to take you to the cleaners with the shipping then you should leave feedback accordingly.

So how about we take a step back and look at this entire situation and at any evidence that may either support or call into question any of Frank's statements that he is only using this account to bid on items of foreign/questionable sellers.

1. Ebay has record of Magadunar bidding on 6 auctions since the middle of October. Of these, 3 are foreign and 3 are from the US. None of the three US sellers had any negatives and he even bought from one of them before with the eyeamgawd account. None of the three foreign auctions had any history of negative feedback (one guy had 1 neg out of 3000+ feedbacks).

2. the Magadunar account has left feedback for 1 person (same person for two different auctions that ended the same day). The complaint that resulted in the negative feedback was high shipping charges. The seller states a shipping price of $2.49 on one of the auctions but gives no quote for the second auction. It would be my guess that Frank expected a reasonable shipping quote, but in both auctions he was the only person and the seller may have tried to squeeze him by charging a lot for the second item or refusing to combine shipping. The seller has 97% positive feedback (24 unique negatives) which is not a very good rating.

Therefore, I would conclude that:

1. Frank does use his Magadunar account for foreign and problem accounts.  Why he used it on the non-problem US auctions is a mystery...but one of the US auctions was a $300 reserve so I can understand that one. He could have just been logged in with it at the time.

2. There is no evidence that he is just using the account to jack up the price on people or one particular person. There just is not enough of a history to draw that conclusion...and Burnie does bid on a lot so there is certainly not a dearth of opportunity.

3. Burnie never said anything about shill bidding and what he is accusing Frank of is not shill bidding (shill bidding requires collusion between the seller and the shill/bidder).

Burnie, you know I would be the last person to come to Frank's defense if he did something that was wrong. I have always supported you against the screaming hordes of whiners that have posted complaints about your willingness to win an auction. I have to say that there just is not enough evidence to support your claim about Frank trying to jack up your auction prices.

-PD

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:34 am 

8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:49 am 

Ah, so THAT'S what this is about. You think I'm jacking up your auction prices.
Well, two things pertain here:

1. Even if that was what I was doing, you jack up the price of EVERY decent item. Everyone seems to be in agreement about that.

2. Don't bid so high and you won't have to worry about paying so much.

If this is a case of sour grapes, you can either relax and accept the fact that I am protecting my account against unscrupulous eBayers, or sit up at night biting your nails, wondering if you're going to be outbid on the hundreds of items you buy every month. I care not either way. By your own admission you got the item anyways, after I had been the one to do the e-mail battle with sellers who think I am ignorant of eBay policies and currency conversion rates. So be content to own your prrreccioussss item (gollum gollum). I think you take this hobby way too seriously.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:51 am 

I think the easiest way to settle this would be to send in an e-mail the location of this thread to the two sellers. I am sure they would be more than happy to verify if Frank is making up his statements about shipping...and if Frank is not making it up then they will probably not make any response (because it would be they who breached the contract by changing their stated shipping). This is a rather well-known website and if someone is being libeled about their shipping charges then they should have a chance to defend themselves.

However, if it were to come down to a he said/she said sort of thing, then all I would have to go on would be the honesty and integrity of each person as displayed by their prior actions; and we all know who would win that one.

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:58 am 

Frank, I imagine the exchange rate comment is directed at the UK auction. Did the seller try to exceed the 1.55 exchange rate he has posted on the auction page. It is really not that bad of a rate...it is the excessive ones that I have a problem with. I suppose my question for such UK sellers would be: "Paypal already has an exchange rate so why are you as sellers setting your own?" Oh, wait, that's right, to pad their profits! nevermind.

-PD

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:42 am 

Wow, new signature, Farris? I liked tho old one much better.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:56 pm 

I still think you have a crush on me, Ralphie. You seem to get very excited whenever I am the subject of attention. Down, boy. Heel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:22 pm 

My last post for this:

This is the e-mail explanation I got for an item which cost $5.77 to ship but for which I was charged $10.

In most cases, eBay and PayPal charge me $2.50 combined for all fees, and
as I have no manner for weighing boxes I ship, I charge a blanket amount
for the auctions.  Bookshelf and board games are $10, RPG box supplements
are $8.30, rpg books are $5.30, and single cards are $2.00.

Cheers!

Craig Gaddis

The auction said nothing about this.
And you wonder why.............

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:26 pm 

BTW, I lucked out because he left me feedback first. Kind of relates to the earlier debate..........

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:07 am 

PD - the problem with bidding history might be that this eBay search only returns the bids from the last weeks or so. There are two interesting auctions, where magadunar appears, too. Both ended with 1,000 $:

eBay Deutschland Gebotsübersicht (C1)
eBay Deutschland Gebotsübersicht (C2)

I think these were the auctions the magadunar account was created for.

Now assume, you'd own both of these modules. What would your purpose be in bidding on these with a freshly created 0-feedback account?

Does anybody REALLY think, Frank would have paid, if he'd outbid T-Bax by mistake???

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:21 am 

Yep, and like I said in the earlier post (Did you read it? CAN you read?), foreign AND questionable auctions. I e-mailed the seller about what the reserve was and got a fairly nasty reply, therefore I didnt feel it wise to use my regular account. My rule of thumb is going to be anything that should go over $100. And yes, if they went for $1,000 each and I won I'd have gladly paid for them.
This is my last post about this. I see no reason to defend my actions, nor any reason to add fuel to the Whiny Fire. Grow up. If you want to spend endless hours researching Big Bad Frank the Outlaw's auctions, be my guest, but how about PMing me or each other and avoiding cluttering up the Acaeum with yet another bashing thread. It's childish.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:43 am 

PMing you??? In the end you think I do this for YOU? You are pushing rare items (without the intention of buying them) all the time. Just to keep prices high. You know it, I know it and the rest of the informed collectors know it, too. It just had to be said to the rest, too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:14 pm 

Ralf, I did say that there is not enough history to make any claims against Frank and my statement was due to the fact that ebay only had about 3 weeks of bidding history in its records. I was going to type in my exposition that I do remember seeing the Magadunar account name as bidding in a number of auctions. But since I had no evidence to put forth of such I was only going to stick with the facts at hand.

But let's look at the two pieces of evidence you have brought. Both of these auctions had a reserve and it appears to me that Frank created the account just to test what that reserve might be. The problem is the Outbid-TBax-theory does not work, he actually outbid T-Bax once but it was still below the reserve. Frank even states in the C1/C2 thread in this forum that the reserve is, as he suspected, $1000. So it is not as to whether had Frank outbid T-Bax would he pay, it is: Had Frank found a reserve of $950 and gone over with his $955 bid, would he pay. I think that is the question. Malcolm did say that there was something slightly odd going on...and there you have it. I think you can draw your own conclusions.

-PD

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:58 pm 

Actually, I knew the reserve was $1,000 apiece when the seller responded to my e-mail. That was the most I was willing to pay, and t-bax (whom I have e-mailed back and forth with on a friendly basis) outbid me. Pretty simple.
Broke my own rule here with the responding post, my apologies. I'm pretty tired of these games, so post away and speculate if you wish. Since I'm selling off all my high-end items right now, I don't think Burnie or anyone else has to worry about me beating them out anymore. Oh BTW, nice job grabbing that First Quest LP, Burnie. That makes 2, right? Hmmmmm. I didn't know First Quest had multiple printings.........

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:00 pm 

Why do you sell them as a private auction where no bidder IDs can be seen?

Next