RJK's Bottle City updates
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:44 am 

Aneoth wrote:I lived in San Diego 30 years ago (for four years) and it was famous even then for its unbelievable level of smog. We would sometimes camp out in the low hills east of the city in a state park. From there at ANY time of the day you will see the HUGE nasty looking HEAVY Cloud of smog cloaking the entire city in its deadly embrace.  NO matter what season, before a rain, after a rain, DURING the rain (Not that it rained that much). Windy or still no matter. The smog is always there.

It aint marine layer......... or fog.

I've lived in Southern California continuously for the last 35 years from San Diego to Santa Barbara. I know what Los Angeles was like 30 years ago, your lungs burned from the air when you played outside. I've lived inland, I've lived on the coast. I have friends who live inland now, I live effectively on the coast now. How it was 3 decades ago when you lived 120 miles from Los Angeles and how it is now is not even night and day, even when you compare out in Riverside and the rest of the Inland Empire.

That said, where I live now, 2 miles from the coast, near Santa Monica, it's not SMOG. Only when there are Santa Ana winds (the winds that blow from the high deserts off of the Santa Ana mountains) do we get the SMOG out here on the coast. I know, I can tell you which days it's happening, my lungs can tell you which days it's happening. The rest of the time, it's not SMOG. In fact, it's clear more days than not. But, you're right, you probably know better than I do.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:54 am 

Busman wrote:
I've lived in Southern California continuously for the last 35 years from San Diego to Santa Barbara. I know what Los Angeles was like 30 years ago, your lungs burned from the air when you played outside. I've lived inland, I've lived on the coast. I have friends who live inland now, I live effectively on the coast now. How it was 3 decades ago when you lived 120 miles from Los Angeles and how it is now is not even night and day, even when you compare out in Riverside and the rest of the Inland Empire.

That said, where I live now, 2 miles from the coast, near Santa Monica, it's not SMOG. Only when there are Santa Ana winds (the winds that blow from the high deserts off of the Santa Ana mountains) do we get the SMOG out here on the coast. I know, I can tell you which days it's happening, my lungs can tell you which days it's happening. The rest of the time, it's not SMOG. In fact, it's clear more days than not. But, you're right, you probably know better than I do.

I am happy for you and Santa Monica (West of LA aint it?), but I was refering to my experience in SAN DIEGO, as you stated about 120 miles from LA and Santa Monica...........

Nowhere in my post did I ever mention Santa Monica. I am sticking by my post.
Wasnt it formerly a quiet little suburb of LA?
I mean before it became the tourist meka it is now?
Since you've lived there 35 years, you know that Santa Monica has little or no pollution from any industries, otherwise it too would be clouded with SMOG.
From what I understand, it is all but completely a Tourist/Beach City, and as such it would NEVER allow any industries to pollute its biggest money maker.

While I was there (yes 30 years ago) in San Diego there was an orangish colored haze on and over it almost all the time.
(Not easy to see inside the city, but in the hills looking out towards the coast it was all too obvious).
Fog is White or perhaps greyish not Orange, or black..........
I lived there for 4 years (I was stationed there while in the Navy).
Perhaps they have cleared all that up since then, but I doubt it.

BTW: I did NOT make up those stats about LA being the most polluted city in the USA.
I saw an article on the browser (MSN).
Perhaps that was simply an Internet Hoax and LA is actually one of the cleanest Cities in the USA instead.....   :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:17 am 

whilst on one of my trips....i happened to be able to visit San Diego way back in 1995. i only stayed there about 2-3 days and wasnt really that fussed on the place. it was at the end of June, i seem to remember.

i remember going for a walk down to the waterfront, to take in the view of the warships etc. it was a nice warm sunny day, and from the photos i took (i checked them just a few hours ago), there wasnt any fog/smog or any form of general cloudiness.

course i could have just caught the place on a good day or something.

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:57 am 

So, um, anyone else read BC yet?  :D  8O

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:00 pm 

grodog wrote:So, um, anyone else read BC yet?  :D  8O

I did....quite enjoyable.  The only thing that, in my opinion, would have made it better is an updated black and white map to go along with the original.

Hopefully PPP has turned a corner and will continue to put out excellent stuff in a timely manner.  Looking forward to The Stalk in particular.  By the way Allan, whatever happened to the proposed Murlynd's Castle?  I was really anticipating that more than anything.  :(

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:27 pm 

Copies of BC still available?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:28 pm 

After all the encouring news, was just about to buy it but cheapest shipping to UK was $27 - for a $20 mod. Booooo! Anyone got a copy in the UK for sale?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:30 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Copies of BC still available?

200 left according to web site.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:33 pm 

grodog wrote:So, um, anyone else read BC yet?  :D  8O

Yeah, but there was too much smog in the Bottle City...

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:55 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:whilst on one of my trips....i happened to be able to visit San Diego way back in 1995. i only stayed there about 2-3 days and wasnt really that fussed on the place. it was at the end of June, i seem to remember.

i remember going for a walk down to the waterfront, to take in the view of the warships etc. it was a nice warm sunny day, and from the photos i took (i checked them just a few hours ago), there wasnt any fog/smog or any form of general cloudiness.

course i could have just caught the place on a good day or something.

:)

Al

I lived in San Diego for a month almost two years prior to your visit.  Loved the place, and really don't remember any smog.  This was in March, of course, so maybe it wasn't smog season yet.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I did....quite enjoyable.  The only thing that, in my opinion, would have made it better is an updated black and white map to go along with the original.

Perhaps something like that can be done as a web freebie sometime, or as an add-on for later purchase, King.  I'll mention it when I talk to Rob next (he should be in sunny [?] FL by now).  

Kingofpain89 wrote:Looking forward to The Stalk in particular.  

I should probably start to work on the manuscript transcription for that, since it's a bit more extensive than BC was (though not nearly the bear that Lost City of the Elders is...).  

Kingofpain89 wrote:By the way Allan, whatever happened to the proposed Murlynd's Castle?  I was really anticipating that more than anything.  :(

It's still in the works, though I don't know whether it's still in the works for this year or later:  Rob and I still need to plot out the next releases after The Stalk for the LGC&C line, relative to what other efforts he has underway.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:18 am 

Adding this post from the Interesting TSR items thread @ viewtopic.php?p=111373#111373 to here, for easier searching later:

===

I'll some clarifications and summaries on how to tell the differences between the editions of Bottle City posted to the PPP forums and/or site, and will let you guys know once they're up.

In short.  Both the "standard edition/SE" and "limited edition/LE" are limited editions in that both are signed and numbered.  SE is 500 copies, LE is 51 or 53.  Rob has also signed out Author's Copies, sometimes numbered in the past (but this is the first time I've heard that done with BC).  Both the LE and SE prices are enumerated on back cover of BC, and both contain links to the transcription of the original ms. on the PPP site (this is just a text reproduction of the original ms. and not a scan of it).  

LE has a single-sheet, high-quality-paper poster map, as well as a color reproduction of the original manuscript.  LE copies are signed and numbered as X of 51 or 53 in ink (don't recall the color offhand, re: IDing replacements mailed out later) in the signing box; the signing box still has a printed "of 500" at the bottom of the box.  

SE has a two-piece poster map printed on lesser-quality paper, and does not contain the original ms. reproduction.  LE copies are numbered as X of 500, where the "of 500" is printed and only the X is hand-written.  

I'm sure other details will surface after I hear back from RJK and ENS.  Anyway, that should hopefully help in the meanwhile.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Last edited by grodog on Sat May 24, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:25 am 

Allan, are all of these versions listed with the "Limited Collectors edition, $150 + S&H" on the back?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:28 am 

Busman, I'll double-check tomorrow, but I believe that there was only one cardstock cover printed, which is used in both editions.  That's why both editions are listed on the back:  the LE in the lower-left back corner, the SE in the lower-right back corner.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:55 am 

Eric Shook's reply from the thread @ viewtopic.php?t=5896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1960

enshook wrote:BOTTLE CITY

Surefire method of identification

Green Pen : Limited Edition.

Black Pen : Standard edition.

SE Serial numbers

Limited Edition : 51 Signed and numbered copies.

Standard Edition(SE): Less than 450 will be put into circulation due to damaged product.

NUMBERING

SE: Issued directly to the public:  1>

SE: Issued in lots to game stores, such as Noble Knight Games: 500<

The Last Nazgul copy 489 was therefore likely purchased through NKG.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:41 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
ummmmnnn .........   no they are not.
At least none of the copies I was sent anyway.

I have two copies of each type of the Bottle City Module (4 total) and NONE of them are numbered x/51.

ALL of them are signed and numbered by hand  x/ 500       with the 500 being in print, the LE's and SA's both.

The LE's (and not the SA's) had the Module number added by hand (RJK-1).
The only other real difference in the signatures is the color of ink (Green for the LE's, and black fo the SA's) and the size of the map (Larger for the LE's, and the map was folded into fourths) and a copy (Scan/print) of several pages of Rob's original notes for the game in the package for the LE's.

Perhaps the LE's that were being replaced later on due to shipping damage are different, but neither of the LE's I have (#11 and #12) were numbered x/51 as you stated.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

PreviousNext