RJK's Bottle City updates
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 pm 

Busman wrote:Screw Texas, Wisconsin, AND Florida... So. Cal. where it's 72+/-, sunny, and not humid over 350 days a year.

At least in Texas we can see the horizon most days of the year.  The last time I was in So. Cal I couldnt even see the Pacific Ocean from two miles away due to all the damn smog.  :x

San Diego was nice.  Crappy beaches though.  Not that Texas beaches are much better....half of them are still probably covered with patches of oil from the last major oil spill.  :cry:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
At least in Texas we can see the horizon most days of the year.  The last time I was in So. Cal I couldnt even see the Pacific Ocean from two miles away due to all the damn smog.  :x

San Diego was nice.  Crappy beaches though.  Not that Texas beaches are much better....half of them are still probably covered with patches of oil from the last major oil spill.  :cry:

I think you're confusing marine layer with Smog. Smog doesn't really occur on near the beaches. It's very bad 80 miles in, no doubt, but not 2 miles. I know, I live right around 2 miles from the beach everyday.

Oh, and Mike, you'll be happy to know that averages house prices in LA have been dropping, it's only 550k for the average house now! w00t!

Back to the topic at hand, I found the apology to be a bit lacking, personally. Thanks to those who stuck with me, here's my big list of excuses once again. I won't do that again. Eh, I give it a 5 of 10. Long overdue and it wasn't really a mea culpa. Personally, I'll be waiting to see how they deliver on their next projects before I make a decision to buy.

That said, everyone can have a bad run of luck, and assuming PPP can turn the corner and deliver high quality and aren't expecting handouts, it can only be good for everyone.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:23 am 

Already the healing process begins.

A basic premise:  

When you find out you are wrong, admit you are wrong as fast as possible so you can start fixing the problem.

That is, unless there is a lawsuit, in which case never admit anything.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:19 am 

Good to hear Eric Shook stepped up and helped his friend.  I'm not sure if it had anything to do with a rabid lemur chastising him or not...but when is that a bad thing, really? :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=104963#104963

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Arrggghhh!!! Grey text on a grey background. Take pity on my poor old eyes.
Since PPP is appealing to "old school" gamers, please keep in mind that some of us don't have the eyesight to read low contrast text.   :wink:

Still working the color scheme, but in the meantime, in either Internet Explorer or Firefox you can use the shortcut command of CONTROL++ to increase the font size. The layout will scale. Other modern browsers also sport this feature. Especially Netscape.  But I'm unsure of the command. Try the view menu, if there is one.

Behold! It appears to work on the Acaeum as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:10 pm 

enshook wrote:Still working the color scheme, but in the meantime, in either Internet Explorer or Firefox you can use the shortcut command of CONTROL++ to increase the font size.

Control + scroll wheel in Firefox will do the same thing.  Dunno if that works in IE though.

My only complaint is that it's Ctrl + scrolling down to increase the font size, and Ctrl + scrolling up to decrease it.  For some reason that just seems counter-intuitive to me.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:16 pm 

I thought folks here might be interested in reading the review of BC  @ Grognardia (as well as checking out the blog itself, if you weren't already familiar with it):  http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... -city.html

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm 

grodog wrote:I thought folks here might be interested in reading the review of BC  @ Grognardia (as well as checking out the blog itself, if you weren't already familiar with it):  http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... -city.html

Well written review.  And, thanks for the link to that site...very interesting.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:29 pm 

Excellent blog: why haven't I seen a link to that before?
Thanks, gro'. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:27 pm 

faro wrote:Excellent blog: why haven't I seen a link to that before?
Thanks, gro'. :)

De nada:  I hadn't been aware of it until corresponding with James in the past few days, figured folks here and elsewhere might be interested! :D

BC-relatedly, for folks who've been keeping score at home, PPP and its artists have squared their accounts, too:

Jason Braun over on K&K wrote:Howdy folks!

Allan gave me a little bump-bump to come pipe in here. I'm happy to report that Rob and I have worked everything out like adults. The art is paid in full as of about 2 weeks ago  and I even received my comp copies last week. I'm in frequent contact with Jim Holloway, so I know he's been paid on some old outstanding debts as well.

I do appreciate the support, gang.

Link:  http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb/v ... 1&start=15

The PPP site is currently down for some additional development work that should be completing soon; I'll be talking to Eric Shook to get specifics on when it'll be available again later tonight (hopefully).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm 

What a great turnaround of events!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:41 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:What a great turnaround of events!!!

Echoed.  I would have bet anything the debacle at PPP was insurmountable; kudos to Grodog, Eric Shook, and others who seem to have helped pull this mess out of the abyss.  Especially good to hear of the settling up with Jim and Jason; that was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't see myself purchasing anything from PPP ever again. It truly seems the slate is about wiped clean; I'm eager to see what offerings PPP has for the future!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 am 

Busman wrote:I think you're confusing marine layer with Smog. Smog doesn't really occur on near the beaches. It's very bad 80 miles in, no doubt, but not 2 miles. I know, I live right around 2 miles from the beach everyday.

Oh, and Mike, you'll be happy to know that averages house prices in LA have been dropping, it's only 550k for the average house now! w00t!

Speaking of LA, it was just ranked as the MOST polluted City in the USA.
Three of the top five are in California and of those two are along the Coast.

BTW: It aint marine layer......... or fog.

Marine layer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A marine layer is an air mass which develops over the surface of a large body of water such as the ocean or large lake in the presence of a temperature inversion. The inversion itself is usually initiated by the cooling effect of the water on the surface layer of an otherwise warm air mass. As it cools, the surface air becomes more dense than the warmer air above it, and thus is trapped below it. The layer may thicken through turbulence generated within the developing marine layer itself. It may also thicken if the warmer air above it is lifted by an approaching area of low pressure. The layer will also gradually increase its humidity by evaporation of the ocean surface, as well as by the effect of cooling itself. Fog will form within a marine layer where the humidity is high enough and cooling sufficient to produce condensation. Stratus and stratocumulus will also form at the top of a marine layer in the presence of the same conditions there.

In the case of coastal California, the offshore marine layer is typically propelled inland by a pressure gradient which develops as a result of intense heating inland, blanketing coastal communities in cooler air which, if saturated, also contains fog. The fog can last until midday when the heat of the sun is frequently strong enough to evaporate it. An approaching frontal system or trough can also drive the marine layer onshore.

A marine layer will disperse and break up in the presence of instability such as may be caused by the passage of frontal system or trough, or any upper air turbulence which reaches the surface. A marine layer can also be driven away by sufficiently strong winds.

It is SMOG!

I lived in San Diego 30 years ago (for four years) and it was famous even then for its unbelievable level of smog. We would sometimes camp out in the low hills east of the city in a state park. From there at ANY time of the day you will see the HUGE nasty looking HEAVY Cloud of smog cloaking the entire city in its deadly embrace.  NO matter what season, before a rain, after a rain, DURING the rain (Not that it rained that much). Windy or still no matter. The smog is always there.

It aint marine layer......... or fog.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu May 01, 2008 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:07 am 

Speaking of LA, it was just ranked as the MOST polluted City in the USA.
Three of the top five are in California and of those two are along the Coast.

Maybe, but look at who just came in as the "sootiest" city in the coutry.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353559,00.html

Pittsburgh...go figure.  Maybe that is why we havent heard from bclarkie in awhile.  He has probably been attending all of the "Clean up the Pitt" rallies at city hall and just hasnt had time to post.  :wink:

Sootiest.....never even assumed that was an actual word.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:13 am 

Aneoth wrote:

It is SMOG!

I lived in San Diego 30 years ago (for four years) and it was famous even then for its unbelievable level of smog. We would sometimes camp out in the low hills east of the city in a state park. From there at ANY time of the day you will see the HUGE nasty looking HEAVY Cloud of smog cloaking the entire city in its deadly embrace.  NO matter what season, before a rain, after a rain, DUring the rain, whatever. The smog is always there.

It aint marine layer......... or fog.

back in the '50s / '60s, Liverpool (UK), used to have pretty bad smog. my dad used to be coming back home from work and 50 yards from their house, he couldnt see it!

sometimes when he was on a night out on the town, on the way home, you couldnt even see 2 feet in front of your face, it was that bad. they used to make their way home on instinct (and actually get there too!).

its nothing like that now. rare you ever get anything like that, so things/times change.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:17 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
back in the '50s / '60s, Liverpool (UK), used to have pretty bad smog. my dad used to be coming back home from work and 50 yards from their house, he couldnt see it!

sometimes when he was on a night out on the town, on the way home, you couldnt even see 2 feet in front of your face, it was that bad. they used to make their way home on instinct (and actually get there too!).

its nothing like that now. rare you ever get anything like that, so things/times change.

Al

Well, I will admit that FOG due to marine layer, or perhaps aided by it was prevailant (And still is I am sure) along the entire coast of California.

But the stuff that is clinging to the Cities is NOT fog....... it is SMOG, which is basically man made POLLUTION.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am 

I cannot fathom how anyone can live like that, or even allow it to happen. Boggles the mind.
On a different note, for anyone who hasn't seen UserFriendly before:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080426

They frequently have D&D references.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 am 

For the artists who post in this thread, just a quick tip that Keith Herber (who wrote many of the best Call of Cthulhu works for Chaosium) is working out a deal to publish some Call of Cthulhu material and will be looking for contributors.

Following thread:
http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... 46&start=0

He mentions:
If I managed to put together a company to publish books (I've done this before, it ain't no big deal) and called it "Golden Age Publications" or something, are there enough CoC authors and artists out there to support the venture?

I do not know what he is looking at paying but the latest posts in the thread above looks like this is pretty much a done deal.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext