RJK's Bottle City updates
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 pm 

I've never been big on prepay anything.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am 

Well, I can say with all confidence that it wasn't from lack of a good team. Grodog and I busted our rumps to get that thing put to bed back in August. It's good to read that folks have had some faith in that, at least.

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
http://www.jasonbraun.com

WWW YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:56 pm 

I'm in for the long haul.  

He has good products and excellent production values on what I've purchased thus far.

I'm willing to give "mom & pop" companies a lot of lee-way.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:51 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I've never been big on prepay anything.

Just to make a note on that:  Rob's process of pre-ordering has always been to fund the development of the product being ordered, not merely to pre-order it like you do on Amazon.  The model is different, though similar in terms of how the transaction occurs.  Without the support of folks on the Acaeum and other collectors and fans, there would not have been a Bottle City at all (vs. there merely being a late Bottle City).  I am hoping that we'll be able to work out a better way to plan and deliver PPP's products, so that the release schedule will become more predictable, which will make all of us happier :D

The sponsorship model does emphasize the sole-propieter nature of PPP's business model, though too:  it's Rob's, and his alone.  There are folks who help him on his projects (such as me or Jaybird, for example), but when Rob's down hard, things can (and have, obviously) grind to a halt.  PPP doesn't have much in the way of additional backup, that you would have in a more-robust/larger business.

That said, getting products out the door if you're sick is something we'll talk about, re: the USPS options that Mike mentioned.  I'm pretty sure that Rob's not aware that such services exist, so that'll be something we talk about in our next chat (to help avoid these single-points-of-failure pitfalls in the future).  

Anyway, enough rambling.  I've got some scanning to do ;-)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 pm 

I hope all of you Acaeum members who pre-paid for Bottle City are still happy to wait a bit.

I bought Cairn of the Skeleton King knowing that it might be late.  

I hope Rob does two things: I hope he continues Pied Piper Publishing.  I also hope he steps up his game and runs his business better.  He certainly has nothing but best wishes from me.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:43 pm 

grodog wrote:Rob's process of pre-ordering has always been to fund the development of the product being ordered

Probably appropriate for games with a pseudo-medieval setting, as this is how it was done a few hundred years ago. Buying a book was like a magazine subscription. The author used subscriber's fees to finance the writing of the book, which would be sent in installments as it was printed. Then you'd stitch the installments into a single cover. Eventually, this system split into modern books & magazines.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:25 pm 

It's not just Bottle City; I don't preorder anything. I'm sure Rob will eventually make good, but it's just in my nature.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:38 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:It's not just Bottle City; I don't preorder anything. I'm sure Rob will eventually make good, but it's just in my nature.

Sorry, Frank:  I wasn't trying to single you out or anything, just responding to the thoughts raised by your post :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:58 am 

You were picking on me! You're just not a nice guy, Allan! You big meanie you!
How are you involved in the project, Allan? I know very little about it. I think you mentioned it when we spoke earlier in the year, but anything that happened over 24 hours ago is next to impossible for me to remember.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:48 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:You were picking on me! You're just not a nice guy, Allan! You big meanie you!
How are you involved in the project, Allan? I know very little about it. I think you mentioned it when we spoke earlier in the year, but anything that happened over 24 hours ago is next to impossible for me to remember.

Ah that explains it.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:43 pm 

I pre-ordered sometime ago and actually forgot that I had...not a big deal. I think I'm more excited to get  it now than before.

Despite taking a while I'm still interested in Merlynd's Castle as well(hopefully that's on tap for 08).

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:06 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:You were picking on me! You're just not a nice guy, Allan! You big meanie you!

;)

Deadlord39 wrote:How are you involved in the project, Allan? I know very little about it. I think you mentioned it when we spoke earlier in the year, but anything that happened over 24 hours ago is next to impossible for me to remember.

I edited Rob's manuscript, and wrote the intro.  Jason did the layout work and he and I kibbitzed back and forth on that for a couple of months or so.  I also transcribed the original manuscript for the free web enhancement.  I also co-DM'd it with Rob at GenCon, which was a blast.  I'm really looking forward to BC arriving in peoples' hands, since I think it's PPP's best product yet.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Last edited by grodog on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:08 pm 

Cattledog wrote:I pre-ordered sometime ago and actually forgot that I had...not a big deal. I think I'm more excited to get  it now than before.

Glad to hear it :D

Cattledog wrote:Despite taking a while I'm still interested in Merlynd's Castle as well(hopefully that's on tap for 08).

I'm not quite sure what the project schedule will be for next year yet.  Hopefully Rob'll have some more detail soon.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:36 am 

grodog wrote:I edited Rob's manuscript, and wrote the intro.

Such an understatement. Allan's contributions are Herculean in every aspect.

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
http://www.jasonbraun.com

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:09 am 

Allan's always been humble.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:39 am 

Well, before Merlynd's, I'd like to get those "Demonic and Arcane" products! Hopefully, Rob can make a living with this sort of slower output...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:27 pm 

grodog wrote:
I edited Rob's manuscript, and wrote the intro.  Jason did the layout work and he and I kibbitzed back and forth on that for a couple of months or so.  I also transcribed the original manuscript for the free web enhancement.  I also co-DM'd it with Rob at GenCon, which was a blast.  I'm really looking forward to BC arriving in peoples' hands, since I think it's PPP's best product yet.

I'm looking forward to it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 pm 

Anyone heard any recent news?

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

PreviousNext