RJK's Bottle City updates
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 48123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 464748
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:30 pm 

I'd just like to toot my own horn one more time (and shill for Joe and Suzi as well)...

It is, IMO, freaking cool to hear that your work is sitting on a FLGS shelf somewhere.  Yeah, yeah... hundreds have done it before me.  I know, but I don't do this professionally.  It's truly a rush to know about it, and I'm glad XRP acquired a distribution line to make it happen.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 am 

gyg wrote:And I bet at least one member of this forum has all of the posts saved on his computer in any case :wink:

I certainly do (I compulsively archive everything remotely interesting). Archive copies available on request.  :wink:

On an other note, I can do nothing but endorse XRP's OSRIC line. They are not "collectibles", but they are high quality, no-nonsense old school products you might expect to see from old TSR or Judges Guild. All three I own (so far) have been outstanding. In addition, delivery has been nothing but exemplary, and they even included a cool hand-written thank you note in my packages. That, folks, is class.  :)

Last edited by Melan on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:48 am 

SemajTheSilent wrote:It is, IMO, freaking cool to hear that your work is sitting on a FLGS shelf somewhere.

I once saw an RPG book which contained a dozen or so of my illustrations on the shelf at Half Price Books. I was torn. On one hand, it was beyond awesome to see it sitting there on the shelf. On the other, someone had bought it and then pawned it... ;)

For what it's worth ERP modules are sold in my local game store here in San Antonio. Very very cool. Good job guys!

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
http://www.jasonbraun.com

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 am 

XRP
OSRIC
ERP

Definitions for the ignorant please.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 am 

OSRIC is Old-School Reference & Index Compendium.  It's an attempt to create a free implementation of the 1st ed. AD&D rules that people can then use to create and publish 1st ed. compatible adventures and supplements without running into copyright issues.

XRP is Expeditious Retreat Press.  They publish modules using OSRIC (among other systems, but that's the important one for this discussion).  I'm assuming ERP is the same.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:50 am 

ERP and XRP are both shorthand for Expeditious Retreat Press (it seems XRP is the preferred version).

OSRIC stands for "Old School Reference & Index Compilation" - Basically an emulation of old 1e rules and themes through the OGL (Open Gaming License).

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:57 am 

Thanks folks.
I suspected the ERP/XRP definitions but had no idea about OSRIC.

FLGS..............?
Another question mark there.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:59 am 

Aneoth wrote:Thanks folks.
I suspected the ERP/XRP definitions but had no idea about OSRIC.

FLGS..............?
Another question mark there.

Friendly local game shop(or store)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:07 am 

The texting thing is going to kill us old farts.
No longer do we see actual words used.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:32 am 

Just to fill in a little more info since Aneoth is not the only person on this forum to have asked.   OSRIC allows people to write adventures that are fully AD&D compatible.  Whereas they would normally have to be extremely careful each and everytime not to reference anything written in the AD&D  PH, DMG, and MM and thus be open to legal action, they can now work from the OSRIC SRD instead.

The basis for this is that game rules cannot be copyrighted, only their artistic presentation and of course the name of the game itself (AD&D).

Similarly then OSRIC is a name or mark that writers and publishers can slap on the cover of their modules to denote them as being compatible with OSRIC, thus alerting you the buyer that the module is compatible with AD&D with out them directly saying so.   :wink:

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 pm 

islestrike wrote:Just to fill in a little more info since Aneoth is not the only person on this forum to have asked.   OSRIC allows people to write adventures that are fully AD&D compatible.  Whereas they would normally have to be extremely careful each and everytime not to reference anything written in the AD&D  PH, DMG, and MM and thus be open to legal action, they can now work from the OSRIC SRD instead.

The basis for this is that game rules cannot be copyrighted, only their artistic presentation and of course the name of the game itself (AD&D).

Similarly then OSRIC is a name or mark that writers and publishers can slap on the cover of their modules to denote them as being compatible with OSRIC, thus alerting you the buyer that the module is compatible with AD&D with out them directly saying so.   :wink:

Cheers!

SRD
:?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
SRD
:?

System Reference Documents

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:14 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:
System Reference Documents

You forgot to include another TLA in there to further confuse people. ;)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm 

Aneoth:
Rewrite 1E so you can't be sued = OSRIC.
Document which explains how to do so = SRD.

IMHO, it's just CYA, because if WotC started an IP case, it would be thrown out PDQ.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:25 pm 

Now, to be fair, we can't make too much fun of anyone else relying on the use of TLAs ... or else we'll be total hypocrites. After all, we're all big fans of a game (a system, really) that introduced such gems as GPs, XP, AC, HD, THAC0, INT, WIS, DEX, a lowercase "d" that was universally acknowledged to mean "die" or "dice" ... and I could go on and on. We could fill pages and pages with D&D references here.

It was all second nature to us Back In The Day, but, remember, we had friends, family members, and neighbors who would look at it all and get no more meaning out of it than the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm 

AD&D?  :wink:

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire

WWW YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 pm 

Jaybird216 wrote:AD&D?  :wink:

Accidental Death and Dismemberment

You know, the AD&D trademark has actually lapsed . . . so wouldn't it be cool to create an OSRIC knockoff called Accidental Death & Dismemberment, so that products could be called "AD&D compatible"?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:22 pm 

dcas wrote:Accidental Death and Dismemberment

You know, the AD&D trademark has actually lapsed . . . so wouldn't it be cool to create an OSRIC knockoff called Accidental Death & Dismemberment, so that products could be called "AD&D compatible"?
 :lol:

That would be SWEET! Your ideas intrigue me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire

WWW YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 48123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 464748