RJK's Bottle City updates
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 48123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 464748
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:12 am 

Holy smokes! Clark is my new hero. I just wish I'd read that thread sooner. Looks like that all went down about 6 months before I got involved with PPP. Then again, to be absolutely honest, Rob treated me like a prince when I first joined up - even paying more than he had promised for the first bit of work I did for him. Nothing went sour between us until June of 2007.

I remember in the summer of 2006, I was driving with Rob to an ATM to get half of a payment, and he was babbling something about NG and about the (then) recent bashing he was taking over his withdrawal from the project with Gary over at TLG. I honestly wasn't in the loop enough to have heard any of the scuttlebutt, so I just nodded politely and lent an ear as he told his side of things. I hadn't had any exposure to either of the other companies at the time, but it sure did sound like everyone was dog-piling on poor old RJC. My experiences with the Trolls since then have been stellar, so the thread over on NG sure makes sense in retrospect.

Regarding Bottle City, I appreciate everyone's concern for the state of my payments. I'm not sure who else (aside from perhaps grodog?) still hasn't been paid from it - it was pretty much a 3-man show, but I know he still owes Jim Holloway for work on Tower of Blood. At any rate, I've given up any hope or expectation of remuneration. Despite grodog's best efforts to hasten my compensation, Rob is obviously taking me at my word that it's payment enough just to be done with his BS.

That's fine with me, since I'm a man of my word. Trust me, I'm not starving because some guy owes me a couple-hundred bucks. Sure, it would have been nice to have that extra scratch after the dozens of hours I put into his vaporware, but it's honestly been more about Rob's gall and the absolute frustration of the fans & collectors whom I busted my rump to satisfy. It pleases me that everyone's getting their stuff! As soon as the LE's drop into your eager little hands, I'll be happy to call this chapter closed.

The damage done to PPP's reputation is karma. We all know that the RPG industry is a tiny little world. The world of freelance artists is even smaller, so rest assured that his name is sullied among those ranks as well. I wonder if he ponders why all of his new artists ask for payment in advance...

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
http://www.jasonbraun.com

Last edited by Jaybird216 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:46 am 

grodog wrote:Hmmm.  Some folks have reported problems accessing the file via Firefox and needing to update an Acrobat plugin first.  I'm also having a looping problem trying to load the file from IE via the published URL of http://www.pied-piper-publishing.com/in ... nscription

David/DCAS just changed how the redirect is handled, and IE works fine for me now, too.  Please let David or me know if you still have problems accessing the .pdf file via the above link (published in the module).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:16 am 

I am now able to download the transcription. Thanks grodog.

Suzdal

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 pm 

Yeah I got the pdf just fine too.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:42 pm 

grodog wrote:Side job on a volunteer basis, Mark.  My real job that pays the bills is with Juniper Networks (and my job title is in flux, changing from Senior Knowledge Engineer to something like Senior User Experience Architect for Support, though that's too wordy ;) ).  Linked-in details, if you're more curious:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/allangrohe

Allan, you used to write poetry, no?  Or maybe you still do?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 am 

I haven't written or published much poetry in several years, Stephen, but you can read much of what I have written at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/poem.html (which links out to several other not-too-well-organized poems groupings).  

I've been meaning to get back to writing and reading more poetry, just haven't made the time yet (though I do still jot down the inspiring ideas/titles/synopses/etc. as they pop into my head, for later expansion):  gaming stuff's been driving most of my creative energy since about 2000.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 am 

just checking, has the LE shipped yet?  i ordered my copy the first day it was available.  last time i called home it hadn't arrived yet.

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:31 am 

Still waiting -- and waiting -- and waiting -- on my SE  :roll:

Shanghai fun & friends!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:45 pm 

The natives are getting restless on Dragonsfoot now. Was bound to happen:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27898&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=68f388a8fa40da3bd7a1f737c69cdfe0

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:05 pm 

Badmike wrote:The natives are getting restless on Dragonsfoot now. Was bound to happen:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27898&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=68f388a8fa40da3bd7a1f737c69cdfe0

Mike B.

Just reading that...seems Noble Knight maybe out of copies for sale as well.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:36 am 

Plaag wrote:
Just reading that...seems Noble Knight maybe out of copies for sale as well.

ShaneG.

I am sure you did not mean it to sound as it does.

PPP did not run out of copies to sell, they simply have not shipped all the copies that were PRE-ordered and PAID for.

Still waiting for my PRE-ordered and PRE PAID copies of the LE, for what has it been now? Two weeks after Rob told that other fan site (who are apparently No longer fans) that all the BC copies had been mailed. I am not exactly located in the back country mountainous areas of Sri LonKa here. It should not take more than a few days for mail to arrive from Rob's location.

As was stated above. The Fantasy Gaming / Publishing world is too small to screw so many people and hope to get away with it. Rob will likely have to find another scam ...... umn   sorry, I meant avenue of income.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:24 am 

Got my Noble Knights copy over the weekend...five days after placing my order and having it shipped to Europe.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:16 am 

I don't get over to the Acaeum very often, mostly due to lack of free time and personal interest. I work a lot, and I'm personally more interested in gaming than collecting.

That being said, I followed a link from DF to here, and this thread was certainly an eye opener. If I'd known months ago the information here about the status of Bottle City, Jason Braun not getting paid for his work, etc., I'd have called my credit card company long before this and had the charges reversed for my order to Pied Piper.  :evil:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:39 am 

Jaybird216 wrote:it would have been nice to have that extra scratch after the dozens of hours I put into his vaporware

Interesting phrase, that. After I used it in August '06 ('way back here) Rob sent me a special (prescient?) autograph... subtitled "Vapor Man".  :!:

The way this has unfortunately turned out, I wonder what that autograph is worth...  8O

I do honestly hope that Rob gets his feces together. But matters do appear grim.

Frank

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:16 pm 

For the record (and because I always find myself defending people whether they deserve that defense or not), Rob paid me for Tower of Blood, so know that he hasn't left everyone turning in the wind.

Do pre-orders represent a sustainable business model?  Nope.  I recently received a refund on an OSRIC product that never materialized.  

Is Rob a good businessman?  That's debatable.

Is Rob a good guy?  Yes.  I can only speak for myself, but he has been nothing but straightforward with me, both personally and professionally.

Peace,

L

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:33 pm 

Lance Hawvermale wrote:Is Rob a good businessman?  That's debatable.

No, it's not. There's no reason to sugar-coat that aspect of what's been going on here. "Good" businessmen ship products, avoid using never-ending strings of excuses, are able to use basic forms of communication, and don't alienate their customers.

I have no comment on anything else, having never met the man and having spent zero lifetime dollars on PPP products. For all I know, RJK is kind to animals and volunteers to teach Sunday School. But let's not call him any sort of businessman. Using interest-free loans to capitalize a project that has been nothing short of disastrous is not "business."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 pm 

Sorry.   By "debatable" I meant "no."  Sarcasm doesn't translate well through this medium.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 pm 

I received my copy of BC from Noble Knight today - NK rocks.  Still waiting on the one from PPP.

I have only had a chance to skim through it but I was wondering ... on the last page, the license agreement page, it says "This printing of Tower of Blood is done under version 1.0a of the Open Gaming License."

Was this error caught and fixed part way through or is it characteristic of all the copies?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 48123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 464748