RJK's Bottle City updates
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:05 pm 

Obviously Rob is quite ill, maybe even beyond ill at this point.  I'm not concerned at all about whether I receive my copies or not.  If it's within Rob's abilities at this point to make sure they get shipped, then they will.  If not, then who cares about a damned limited edition module when a guy's life is on the line?  

Good luck, Rob.  And thanks for the updates, Allan and Deogolf.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:11 pm 

bombadil wrote:Obviously Rob is quite ill, maybe even beyond ill at this point.  I'm not concerned at all about whether I receive my copies or not.  If it's within Rob's abilities at this point to make sure they get shipped, then they will.  If not, then who cares about a damned limited edition module when a guy's life is on the line?  

Good luck, Rob.  And thanks for the updates, Allan and Deogolf.

IF Rob is deathly ill, then I wish him a fast recovery.  And I would still like to receive my fully paid for copies of Bottle City in the future.....these two things are not mutually exclusive no matter what the circumstances.

Why is Rob still turning away assistance at this point?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:43 am 

This post of Gary's might shed a bit of light on the situation.
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... &start=434

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:18 pm 

NetRodent wrote:This post of Gary's might shed a bit of light on the situation.
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... &start=434

Thanks for the link, Net.  Another unfortunate piece of the puzzle, it seems.

It might be too soon to start mentioning the words no one wants to hear...but the clock is ticking.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:18 pm 

That's old news :D  The TLG blog speaks to this in some detail @ http://trolldens.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:29 pm 

grodog wrote:That's old news :D  The TLG blog speaks to this in some detail @ http://trolldens.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

The item from Gary was as follows:

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to answer a real question!

As a matter of fact, Rob Kuntz and I have parted company since he reneged on his agreement to co-develop the Castle Zagyg campaign project material, doing so in a most ungentlemanly manner. I was taken aback at that since he originally approached me to do the work and then agreed to terms set forth in a written agreement, accepted an advance payment.

All I can assume is that he is going through some rough personal times.

Of course I could convince neither of my two older sons to assist me in the project, but nontheless it is now going forward full bore.

Happy New Year,
Gary

The announcement from TLG sounds very formal and vague, while Gary's explanation appears more personal and off the cuff. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between.  I don't want to point to this as proof Rob is a "bad" person because I know from insiders EGG is a hard man to work with sometimes.  But I still believe it shows a certain pattern of behavior that is germane to events here and now.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:47 pm 

Necromancer Games, Kenzer & Company, Troll Lords, now his fans: Take upfront money, not deliver on promises.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:01 pm 

I've seen a pattern in the past where people tend to cut famous gaming figures WAAAAAAAAAY too much slack. They can be greedy and underhanded, too. As a matter of fact, they are MORE likely to be greedy and underhanded because........................ people tend to cut them slack.
If this was an eBay account with this track record, this forum would have long ago tagged it as a cheater and blocked it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:06 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I've seen a pattern in the past where people tend to cut famous gaming figures WAAAAAAAAAY too much slack.

I agree with this 1,000 percent. It's one of the reasons, in fact, that I never got too excited about the first release (the Cairn one, right?) ... it seemed like a vanity project more than anything else.

As to the current situation, I'm an interested observer. I do not have a dog in this fight. I hope it all works out — I sincerely hope that Rob's deal turns out to be just severe allergies and that all of his customers get the items they've paid for — but I can't help but wonder what the fallout will be if these orders go unfilled. I suspect it will help put an end to much of the automatic goodwill that industry "names" seem to get from many gamers ... especially if those "names" are holding their hands out for money. A cynical view, I know, but I suspect that such will be the case.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:40 pm 

I don't see that happening. Look at the facts:

1. This "illness" has been going on for many months.
2. Rob is well aware of the delay, and has had multiple offers for help.
3. He has a track record of taking the money and running.

Either he knows he's gonna croak, and doesn't care about anything, or he intends to walk off with the cash. Either way, I have to put a checkmark in the scumbag column. Hell, he doesn't even have the decency to post an update here.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote: I do not have a dog in this fight. I hope it all works out — I sincerely hope that Rob's deal turns out to be just severe allergies and that all of his customers get the items they've paid for — but I can't help but wonder what the fallout will be if these orders go unfilled. I suspect it will help put an end to much of the automatic goodwill that industry "names" seem to get from many gamers ... especially if those "names" are holding their hands out for money. A cynical view, I know, but I suspect that such will be the case.

I think it's definitely the end of Pied Piper Games....and a lot of Aceaum members seem to agree with me (if I count the private PMs I've been getting).  Even if Rob's illness is 100% completely legit, the problems here have shown no one should be running a "pay and print" company like this without some sort of support system.  Being as the sales market for this type of product is already a niche of a niche, I can't see there being any sort of target audience anymore that matters when half of what is already a tiny number have been alienated.   Very unfortunately, because I do think there are a lot of dedicated gamers that would like to see the stuff being put out by these types of companies.  I misstep like this, however, is impossible to recover from.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:
IF Rob is deathly ill, then I wish him a fast recovery.  And I would still like to receive my fully paid for copies of Bottle City in the future.....these two things are not mutually exclusive no matter what the circumstances.

Why is Rob still turning away assistance at this point?

Mike B.

"If"? Hmmm...

Rob is definitely ill - deathly, I haven't the foggiest. It's definitely not allergies.

I highly doubt its a matter of taking the money and running. It's not like he's making a million bucks on this and heading for Tahiti. I'm sure he has valid reasons for what's going on right now.

I know Rob is not the easiest guy to get along with, but, I think he has respect for his fanbase. Even I don't know what is going on. I can only assume that because he's been so quiet, that it can't be a good thing. Just speculation.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:33 pm 

Deogolf wrote:
"If"? Hmmm...

Rob is definitely ill - deathly, I haven't the foggiest. It's definitely not allergies.

I highly doubt its a matter of taking the money and running. It's not like he's making a million bucks on this and heading for Tahiti. I'm sure he has valid reasons for what's going on right now.

I know Rob is not the easiest guy to get along with, but, I think he has respect for his fanbase. Even I don't know what is going on. I can only assume that because he's been so quiet, that it can't be a good thing. Just speculation.

There might be many valid reasons...but IMO only one springs readily to mind due to the circumstances of Rob's (and Pied Pipers) disappearing act.

And people don't have to have the incentive of a million bucks to take money...people have taken far less.  I'm not even saying it's for malicious reasons....maybe Rob has just gotten behind on his bills. Whatever the reason the continued delay and silence is troubling.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:05 pm 

I've reached the "concern" stage as well. It seems there have been several false start attempts at shipping. At this point if BC is anything less than great, I'll be disappointed.

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:11 pm 

How much were the presale copies?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:How much were the presale copies?

Regular copies were $20 I believe....I don't know how much the limited edition copies were.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:14 pm 

Deogolf wrote:
Just speculation.

Just to note....everything here is just speculation...because nothing has been heard from the main figure in this for several months.  Not to mention it is coming up on a year from when pre-orders were made for Bottle City.

Unfortunately speculation is going to continue to run rampant until something more definite than "went to see Rob and he's sick" or "talked to Rob and he doesn't feel well but should ship someday" is put forth.  Sorry, it's the nature of the beast.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:26 pm 

http://p085.ezboard.com/fpiedpiperpubli ... =433.topic

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing