Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 42 of 114123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:41 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Thinking maybe it was to bump the bids up higher (ie put the bid but not wanting to win it)?

Is this a case for Super Clarkie (dun dun dah - dramatic music)?

Where are the superheroes when you need them.........{attempts to put sherlock holmes cape back onto BC} :wink:

(jeez I use a lot of brackets when I type :oops: )

<==== Retired.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 am 

That's what Michael Jordan said...

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:46 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Sorry, I can't buy into the "stolen user id" thing. The ID gets stolen and the thief happens to bid on an ultra-rare D&D book? Please............

It sounds shady . . . but it can happen.  Granted, they weren't "high priced" items like Rahasia, but still . . .  if you bid with a roommates ID . . . or your kid bids with yours . . . or you bid with your wife's ID . . . or you win and your wife finds out and you want out of the transaction, so you lie and say that it was "Stolen".  :D

Once reported stolen, ebay will instantly remove the auction (I think) and then investigate later.

It could be a way out of a purchase that you get cold feet on . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:18 am 

There is one other possible explanation.
More than one person is sharing a computer.
One person logs into ebay and does not log out.
The other user thinks that it is their account that they are logged into and bids.
The first user gets an email saying they won an auction (for a large sum) that they know they did not bid on.
Before asking anybody they freak out and immediately contact eBay to report that their account was hacked.
eBay puts the brakes on the auction until they can do damage control.
Things get sorted out, seller is notified, etc. etc.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 pm 

There's a hundred scenarios, some slightly plausible, others not.
Sorry, I just can't see someone CRACKING (proper term) an eBay account and bidding on Rahasia. A million-dollar condo, yes. A $1,000 module, no. If research was done on the shiller, I would bet that only one item was being bid on.
My diagnosis is acute shillitis. Unfortunately, there is no cure; either someone will bid on it again at or near the previous price, or the seller has already noted who the second bidder was and made an off-eBay offer.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:53 pm 

- Yes I put in a marker bid so Rakeesh sah Tarna can keep his yap shut about me "protecting my Gencon purchase'[/quote]
you did it again more like :) :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:00 pm 

- My diagnosis is acute shillitis. Unfortunately, there is no cure; either someone will bid on it again at or near the previous price, or the seller has already noted who the second bidder was and made an off-eBay offer.[/quote]
surprise they did not do that but seller says not seen until cancelled so no bid history available. looks more like high bid chickening out but crazy fast ebay response. bap454?? who they?? :? :?
feedback. great transaction Cougar cards thanks you Keep collecting. wrong cougar :) :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:25 pm 

Rakeesh - I guess it doesn't really matter . . . but I've been wondering for a long time now . . . how come you can't quote properly?  Are you always erasing the the beginning [quote=username] tag?

Like I say . . . it doesn't matter really . . . but . . . I mean . . . are you doing it on purpose or accidentally?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:32 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:There's a hundred scenarios, some slightly plausible, others not.
Sorry, I just can't see someone CRACKING (proper term) an eBay account and bidding on Rahasia. A million-dollar condo, yes. A $1,000 module, no. If research was done on the shiller, I would bet that only one item was being bid on.
My diagnosis is acute shillitis. Unfortunately, there is no cure; either someone will bid on it again at or near the previous price, or the seller has already noted who the second bidder was and made an off-eBay offer.

Believe it or not, I've heard of accounts cracked for less than that.  I once got caught up in a huge investigation, someone buying D&D stuff (yeh, D&D stuff, figure that) with about 10 stolen accounts.  He had bought a couple of real innoccuous items from me, somethinglike Player's handbooks for 1st ed, ebay sent me a note telling me not to send the money and report any contact with the person, that the account had been compromised.  The guy had also sent an "alternative" address to send the stuff instead of the one indicated.  I noticed at the time he had bid on a bunch of other D&D items. Curiousity got the better of me, I contacted another seller he bought from, same story Ebay had sent them a similar note.  Weird stuff.  The buyer's id then was cancelled and disappeared.  Probably some stupid kid.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:47 pm 

hmm. better?? sorry if getting on all your nerves :oops: :oops:
board quote system is broken if replying already one quote so did not think important
Beyondthebreach wrote:Rakeesh - I guess it doesn't really matter . . . but I've been wondering for a long time now . . . how come you can't quote properly?  Are you always erasing the the beginning [quote=username] tag?

Like I say . . . it doesn't matter really . . . but . . . I mean . . . are you doing it on purpose or accidentally?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:17 pm 

I'd say a griffin who's learned to type in human language has already accomplished quite a lot, regardless of how well the quote boxes are used.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:19 pm 

sauromatian wrote:I'd say a griffin who's learned to type in human language has already accomplished quite a lot, regardless of how well the quote boxes are used.

(chirps) thanks sauromatian ^v^

talons are a pain for typing in any language

:lol: :lol:

two sets oce books no box under $30 + OK shipping in next day. first no ref sheets might just go at sensible $$$. maybe not but is as much hope unless can find a bargain bin before bclarkie ;) ;)

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:talons are a pain for typing in any language

Now, that is wierd...because I always picture you pecking at the keys with your beak.

Given that it would be nearly impossible to see the target key at the instant of striking it...I have always marveled at your accuracy.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:52 pm 

handful of modules - watch for the coug bid! (no international,no problem!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:48 am 

Basic set still in SW

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:52 pm 

have no clue on this but at the end it is still D&D:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:48 pm 

La Derniere Illusion

As far as I can tell, given my powers in the French language, the title either means:

The Illusion's Butt

or

That Darned Illusion

(Possibly, The Dark Illusion?)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:07 pm 

The Last Illusion.

No idea what it is though... :?

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 42 of 114123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 112113114