Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 114123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:49 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:It's because you foreigners are so shady.
Did you know that Gaypal charges a fee on top of the exchange rate for foreign payments?

It's double the US fee, too.  Stupid.  I personally love overseas buyers for the most part.... :D   But you do have to jump through a few more hoops.  It's worth it though, IMO.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Could have a lot to do with people not wanting the hassle of dealing with the customs guys. Twice now I've been shafted by the customs process. First I fell for the Troll and Toad thing which amounted to an additional charge of $50 tax on a mixed bag of junk/ good stuff. Now it appears I've 'lost' another $120 on a missing parcel because the customs bod confused the UK with Western Samoa and re-directed my stuff accordingly (easy mistake to make of course  8O). By comparison, with a probable ratio of 10 UK deliveries to 1 international, I've had no problems with domestic postage. That said, I've had US sellers tell me on more than a few occasions that opening up their bids to at least Europe and Oz was the smartest thing they ever did on eBay.

Sure it is, if you want to make more money!  International customers have lots of bills and money falling out of their overstuffed wallets to spend on American goodies.  :D  But there are a few more hoops to jump through.  
As for the customs, I find the problem comes because when you print out international postage online, it oftens separately names each item on the print out customs form, causing confusion. Instead of "Atlas of the Dragonlance World", "Knight of the Living Dead", "Five Fighting Fantasy Books", and "Players Handbook" printed on the customs form, you need to clear it out and just list it as "Used Books" to avoid any problems.  Customs officials don't know what all the above names are; they know what used books are.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:03 pm 

Opening my sales up to overseas buyers was one of my best moves.  My main problem has been with the Italian Post Office.  The buyers are fine, but the Post Office takes forever unless it is sent Registered.  This jacks up the price, but the headaches it avoids are worth it to me.  I hate to punish my Italian buyers, but they usually seem to understand.  Sad. :cry:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Last edited by benjoshua on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Sure it is, if you want to make more money!  International customers have lots of bills and money falling out of their overstuffed wallets to spend on American goodies.

No I don't. But since you started the war in Iraq, doing business in the US is so deliciously convenient due to favorable currency rates...  :twisted:

Actually, the only time my wallet was overstuffed was when I was living in Connecticut, working at United Technologies.

benjoshua wrote:Opening my sales up to overseas buyers was one of my best moves.  My man problem has been with the Italian Post Office.  The buyers are fine, but the Post Office takes forever unless it is sent Registered.  This jacks up the price, but the headaches it avoids are worth it to me.  I hate to punish my Italian buyers, but they usually seem to understand.  Sad. :cry:

Argh, you've plunged into a bleeding wound!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:35 pm 

Badmike wrote:Instead of "Atlas of the Dragonlance World", "Knight of the Living Dead", "Five Fighting Fantasy Books", and "Players Handbook" printed on the customs form, you need to clear it out and just list it as "Used Books" to avoid any problems.  Customs officials don't know what all the above names are; they know what used books are.

Second what Mike says.  I got hit with my last customs charge because they didn't recognise the names and assumed they were software when opened up.  (They were still sealed Dark Sun modules, so they were a bunch of thin boxes.)

Also, if filling out the form by hand, don't don't don't inflate the value when doing so.  If it went for a low price, put the price it went for -- not the price you think it's worth.  I got hit with a massive customs bill by a seller who did that; I'm still more than a little pissed about it. :evil:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:33 am 

Within Europe, you don't have to put the value of the items on the envelope. So the Customs Officials have developed a nasty habit of opening the package up and looking for invoices. Mrs Malcolm no longer puts any invoices in foreign packages now, because of this. She wont lie, but she won't admit what some of the stuff is worth either (and even insured stuff gets the value written on the postal slip, which you keep, not on the package).

Cheers,
malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:43 am 

Since I can, I'll third what Bad Mike and g026r state.   When creating oniline customs forms, fill in "used book".    Works like a charm.   Less packages being held up in customs too.

Let's git to killin'!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:19 pm 

Hi Guys,

I was watching a 1st print Tegel Manor on ebay and now I suddenly cannot find it.  It had bids on it.  In fact I was the first to bid on it but now it is no longer showing up in My Ebay and a search reveals nothing.  It had a 1.5 days left before the end of the auction.  Never had anything like this happen before.  I know some of you were also bidding on it.  Did someone snake it out from under us.

Martin

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:31 pm 

Yes I was watching it too.

It was cancelled at 16:30ish UK time reason-'mistake in listing' or otherwise known as gazzumped-the arse!
:evil:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:36 pm 

Arrrr, be that the one, me hearty, that was spirited away by the flying dutchman !!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I had it in my spyglass as well.  Looks extremely likely that some scurvy knave has filched it.  8O

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:39 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Hi Guys,

I was watching a 1st print Tegel Manor on ebay and now I suddenly cannot find it.  It had bids on it.  In fact I was the first to bid on it but now it is no longer showing up in My Ebay and a search reveals nothing.  It had a 1.5 days left before the end of the auction.  Never had anything like this happen before.  I know some of you were also bidding on it.  Did someone snake it out from under us.

Martin

Sonuvabitch!  I was the high bidder on that one.  Damn seller cancelled the auction.  I was trying to do a search for the item but I dont think there is a way to find a cancelled item unless you know the ID number of the listing.

Man that really pisses me off!  :evil:

By the way Martin...why were you bidding on it?  You already have one!  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:44 pm 

.....dont worry he wouldnt have won it :twisted:

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:46 pm 

red_bus you have been watching too much Johnny Depp 8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:51 pm 

Well, I am reinventorying my JG collection in the hopes of selling it as a whole (I hate splitting things up). If it doesn't sell, however, I will put mine up for you. I do hate to part with it, I have about 95% of what's out there, but it is time for it to move on to another collector.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:57 pm 

I think this cancellation may in fact be legit. Looks like a legit error as Jon Hargreaves won this back in early July:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

That said, when auctions disappear that I have been bidding on and my gets gets cancelled I have emailed the seller in the past to find out why for sure.  If the seller gives me an ambiguous answer as to why, I email them back and let them know my disappointment and tell them how much I was "willing" to bid if the auction had run full turn.  You'd be amazed at the repsonses you get sometimes. :lol:  

And before anyone gets me wrong, I am not advocating pissing on peoples legit wins(even super low great buy BINs as I think thats completely wrong to do as well  :) ), its only these auctions that have been running with bids and with no BIN and then they suddenly disappear into the mists of time.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:58 pm 

Where are you going to sell the full collection Frank?
I would definitely be interested.

D.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:30 pm 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:.....dont worry he wouldnt have won it :twisted:

Keep telling yourself that.  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:35 pm 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:red_bus you have been watching too much Johnny Depp 8O

Maybe he's practicing for next Wednesday.   :)

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 114123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 112113114