Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 114123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 112113114
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:18 pm 

D&D Wood Grain  :D  :D  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-original-wood-g ... dZViewItem

Enjoy ...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:31 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:D&D Wood Grain  :D  :D  :D

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Enjoy ...

I like it when sellers take lots of good pictures but jeez....put 'em on Flickr or Photobucket for chrissakes.  PDT_Armataz_01_08

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:07 pm 

The problem with these posts is they are temporary...

we should be archiving this stuff somewhere for reference.

there's nothing more annoying than serching old posts and having all those dead links.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:13 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:D&D Wood Grain  :D  :D  :D

Enjoy ...

I like the orange sheets.   :wink:

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:30 pm 

I can't see the forest for the Woodies!  :D  :D  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUNGEONS-DRAGONS-19 ... dZViewItem

Timber!!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 am 

smarmy1 wrote:I can't see the forest for the Woodies!  :D  :D  :D

Timber!!!!

Is it just a Woodie box with another edition of the books?  :scratch:

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:19 am 

IttyBitty wrote:

yah... there's smtg wrong... woody box + 4th print booklets... simply an hybrid?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 am 

A Frankenstein! :alien:   Bwahaahaahaa!

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:45 am 

IttyBitty wrote:

It's a Third+ print:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:00 am 

So if you had a 3rd and 4th print, and swapped the books, would you have 3rd+ and 4th- prints?
I'm skeptical about the 3rd+ concept. It really isn't a separate PRINT, it is just the piecemealing of two separate print runs.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:So if you had a 3rd and 4th print, and swapped the books, would you have 3rd+ and 4th- prints?
I'm skeptical about the 3rd+ concept. It really isn't a separate PRINT, it is just the piecemealing of two separate print runs.

Dammit, where is David when you need him.  :lol:

Well there is no 4th- print anymore that was proven false as someone reported owning a set(s) with no prices of $3.50 on the bottom of the books, which turned out to be incorrect.  The old report 4th- is simply what we now know to be just the 4th Printing now.  No "official"sets were ever listed as a white box set with the earlier woodgrain style books in it.  For reference, here are the old descriptions for the 4th- and the 4th from the Internet Archive:

• Fourth Minus
    White box, showing a wizard and some orcs (artwork is now actually printed on the box) and the price ($10.00)
    Outside cover of Men & Magic shows a warrior standing with a sword and shield
    Outside covers of all three booklets have a price ($3.50)
    Inside covers of all three booklets are white, and state "Fourth Printing -- November 1975"
    References to Hobbits and Ents (see page 9 of Men & Magic) are still present
    Internal typeface is still rather rough and difficult to read
    Rear inside cover identifies the printer: Patch Press of Beloit, Wisconsin.  Also, a "TSR Hobbies, Inc" sticker covers the printed "Tactical Studies Rules"
    Yet another hybrid.  The first appearance of the white box, but containing the "true" Fourth print booklets (same booklets as in the Third Plus print above).  Again, TSR most likely took the first white boxes off the assembly line and mated them with the last batch of true Fourth print booklets. Three sets matching this description have so far been spotted, leading us to believe that it was more than a unique occurrence
    Thanks to Scott Gregg, John Huckerby, and David Wiley for this info
  • Fourth
    White box, showing a wizard and some orcs (artwork is now actually printed on the box) and the price ($10.00)
    Outside cover of Men & Magic shows a warrior standing with a sword and shield
    Outside covers of all three booklets no longer bear the price ($3.50), and are a shade lighter in color
    Inside covers of all three booklets are white, and state "Fourth Printing -- November 1975"
    References to Hobbits and Ents (see page 9 of Men & Magic) are still present
    Internal typeface has been changed to a much-easier-to-read font
    This print originally came shrinkwrapped
    25,000 copies of this set were printed
    Note that the Fourth print booklets included with this set bear slight differences from the "true" Fourth print booklets included with the Third+ and Fourth Minus prints above: no price on the cover, and changed internal typeface
    Thanks to Curt Gould and Gary Gygax for help with this info

On that notion though, I agree thats its really not anything more than a hacked up Frankenstein job, but I do think that its not completely unreasonable to believe that a most sets out there like this, were actually in fact done at TSR.  I say this, because from collectors point of view, it would make absolutely no sense for some one to do this on purpose, as by doing so you would really only be devaluing your 3rd print set by putting your 4th print books into it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:25 am 

bclarkie wrote: it would make absolutely no sense for some one to do this on purpose, as by doing so you would really only be devaluing your 3rd print set by putting your 4th print books into it.

It seems to occur too frequently for it to be on purpose.  Though I suppose if you had lost your 3rd print books, and had a 4th printing books and 3rd printing box on hand, it would increase the value of both by combining them...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 am 

Well, there's no question that things were thrown together/Frankensteined on a regular basis. Whether or not it was done at TSR really isn't the question. By definition, a PRINTING is a run of a particular item at the manufacturer. The 3rd+ sets are not printings, they are Frankensteins.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:34 am 

Doesn't mean I can't want the box.... :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Well, there's no question that things were thrown together/Frankensteined on a regular basis. Whether or not it was done at TSR really isn't the question. By definition, a PRINTING is a run of a particular item at the manufacturer. The 3rd+ sets are not printings, they are Frankensteins.

The Acaeum lists printings, but we want to retain this relevant information in some format.  The combination of box and booklets was apparently done prior to being sold, so perhaps a more accurate term would be "distribution", or "package".  Still, I think calling it the "3rd+ printing" is fairly unambiguous, even if not technically accurate.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:25 pm 

Is this a good price?

I need the Geomorphs, Rec Sheets and the Boxed Set (it's earlier than either of mine...)

The M&Ta I already have and would trade it here... also, it's always nice to have extra holmes editions to lend out to newcomers (if you read the description there are two basic books).

And I had him add the photo of the dice... I don't have a pink d20 from that era...

What say you?!?!?

Last edited by TheMilford on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 pm 

If I had the money to spare, I'd have bought it already... because I want that box set, but that's me. I also don't have any of the other stuff (well, dice and pencils I have.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:39 pm 

He only accepts Check or Money orders ( I hate paypal anyway)

Wonder why it's all still up there?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 114123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 112113114