Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 114123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 112113114
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:14 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Possibly the same copy that started this thread three years ago (note the newbie post from that Deimos3428 guy at the time, too!):

viewtopic.php?t=922&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=punch+tsojconth&start=0

Any chance you can to remind us about the CAN$1.95 purchase  :wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 am 

improvstone wrote:
Any chance you can to remind us about the CAN$1.95 purchase  :wink:

I'll try to work that into a post or two this week, but my schedules pretty busy.  Drop by the chat, if you get a chance.  :twisted:

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:57 am 

- Possibly the same copy that started this thread three years ago (note the newbie post from that Deimos3428 guy at the time, too!):
- viewtopic.php?t=922&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=punch+tsojconth&start=0[/quote]
:lol: :lol: still sold high?? prefer split spine + pencil writing + cut character sheets + few creases if used at tournament to three hole punch otherwise mint stuck in binder best part 30 years

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 pm 

TSR AD&D H1 Bloodstone Pass Dungeons and Dragons uncut

** expired/removed eBay auction **

No pictures.....  :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:22 pm 

Two Mertwig's Maze auctions:

US only:

. . .  

Worldwide:

. . .  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:10 pm 

R-1 To The Aid of Falx  (buried in a module lot)

:D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:52 am 

Some early Dragons:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :B:SS:AU:1

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:34 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Some early Dragons:

isn't he the guy who was buying them all up a short while ago?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:02 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Driving the prices up, up, up....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:04 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Driving the prices up, up, up....

yeah i thought it was.

well i aint gonna help him in doing that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

This comment sounds awfully familiar.  Two great minds must think alike :)

Mars wrote:Isn't this the guy who was bidding on any and every earlier Dragon magazine not too long ago?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:29 pm 

It's not every day that you see three copies of Metamorphosis Alpha up at the same time.

3rd printing:

Stupid BIN on this one:

Another 3rd printing.  Looks really nice though:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:47 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

And some of them are 3 hole punched as well ....

So is this a mini version of our favourite cat?

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 am 

L3 that " . . . has never been used and has been kept in a protective magazine bag ever since I purchased it back in 1999."

. . .  

I thought that L3 wasn't available outside outside of the Silver Anniversary set.  Were these being resold even in 1999?

Oh, yeah, Silver Anniversary set in shrink:

. . .  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:I thought that L3 wasn't available outside outside of the Silver Anniversary set.  Were these being resold even in 1999?

Amazing how an individual item can be worth more than the package it came in.   8O  8O

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:52 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah i thought it was.
well i aint gonna help him in doing that.
Al
Issues 6 and 7 are three hole punched.  :roll: :lol: I know they did not start life that way.....
Even though the current price ($42.50) is low for the lot, even with the two damaged issues, I will not be bidding on them.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 am 

improvstone wrote:Amazing how an individual item can be worth more than the package it came in.   8O  8O
Agreed. The sum of their individual parts (sold seperately) will almost always garner far more than the total together as one complete item.

I also know that sometimes a complete "near-mint" boxed set was actually Frankenstein'ed together from parts taken from otherwise incomplete or damaged box sets. IE. One set has a bad box, and perhaps is missing one module, and another set is missing some OTHER module and has a very nice box. They are spliced together to make one really nice box set and may be sold as such, while the other remaining useful parts are sold separately.

That Frankenstein'ed method is not associated only to Silver Anniversary Box Sets either. Many collectable items are known to be gathered together using that method.

Older rare modules (Or even some common ones) can have that happen to them. The outside cover of one module might have too many marks and/or spine creases/ends and the inside separate module might be pristine, while another cover might be very nice and the sketches insides the module itself were at some point colored by a child in the distant past, or highlighted and marked up by some distant DM who actually used it for gaming purposes. 8O  8O

I know (Unbelievable!). :roll:  :roll:  but I have seen it happen......

What of the OD&D white box sets, and even the occasional woodie. Not to mention all of the multitudes of game board box sets.

I once had over a dozen OD&D white box sets (As badmike or kingofpain can attest for me as they both saw them, and badmike later bought most of them, along with almost all of the remainder of my D&D collection).

Of those dozen or so sets I had, many were from the same editions (or prints if you prefer) and the box on one set might have caving on the cover, or tearing at a corner or two and complete near mint inside contents, while another box might be near mint with incomplete or damaged contents. How easy it would have been for me to have traded parts from one box to another to make one near mint box set and one poor set. Or in my case perhaps 8 near mint complete sets and 4 poor/incomplete sets, or some combination thereof. Such a thing might have been tempting too had I not been a single-minded one-way collector rather than a dedicated re-seller. Re-sellers; however, are making a living at this, so things are totally different for them.

BTW: I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with anyone (collectors or re-sellers) using the Frankenstein method for higher profits on re-sales. As I said, re-sellers are in the business of making money, just as am I (although in a different profession). After all; in the end, the buyer of a Frankenstein'ed box set will be much happier and better off with all the pieces placed together to make one very nice complete box set. While the remains of the Frankenstein operation are later sold off piecemeal.

Both parties are pleased with the complete box set transaction and the re-seller makes more profit.

Personally I would rather have a complete box set, preferably factory sealed if possible. I do have a Silver Anniversary Box Set-Factory Sealed.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:04 am 

improvstone wrote:
Amazing how an individual item can be worth more than the package it came in.   8O  8O
-

I know I sold about twenty L3's years ago when some stores were liquidating the boxed sets. I would get about three times as much for 'parts' as I would for a complete set. Did the same with Heroquests, and all the main Games Workshops boxed sets.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 114123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 112113114