Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 114123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 112113114
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:47 pm 

Last call, 24-hour warning.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:37 pm 

What is that thing with the nose again, Frank? I gotta get me one of those.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:What is that thing with the nose again, Frank? I gotta get me one of those.

Bolotomus -- from Tom Wham's Snit games.

The furry large ones were made in 1979-80 and sold at the infamous Dungeon Hobby Shop in Lake Geneva.

The last ones seen at auction went for about $200 each.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:14 pm 

if i remember, he had it with him at GenCon during the auctions....that right Frank?

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:44 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:if i remember, he had it with him at GenCon during the auctions....that right Frank?

That's a long story and this is the wrong thread -- but in brief, I have two. The one you see is Fred, the other is Charley (named after two guys in the old FFingers comic). Fred goes to all sorts of events; Charlie only goes to GenCon.

F

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:59 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Ooh. Sounds interesting. How did you come upon that?

Not sure that it is?....

The only thing that makes the LE "special" is the map, (other extra bits like the letter and notes are very easily reproduceable). It appears there were enough of these printed to allow for some extras, such as those that got replaced when initial LE's were damaged in post etc.

It would be interesting to know exactly how many of the maps were produced?

Rob offered me an "authors copy" as I tried to order the LE a couple of weeks late (after initial pre-sale period), having only just at the time discovered the PPP stuff myself.  He told me he was going to run off an extra few copies (10 I believe) as "authors" copies, and agreed to sell me one.  

Instead of a number, my copy just has the signature and "authors" written on the back, similarly the map carries same on reverse.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:13 am 

I'll some clarifications and summaries on how to tell the differences between the editions of Bottle City posted to the PPP forums and/or site, and will let you guys know once they're up.

In short.  Both the "standard edition/SE" and "limited edition/LE" are limited editions in that both are signed and numbered.  SE is 500 copies, LE is 51 or 53.  Rob has also signed out Author's Copies, sometimes numbered in the past (but this is the first time I've heard that done with BC).  Both the LE and SE prices are enumerated on back cover of BC, and both contain links to the transcription of the original ms. on the PPP site (this is just a text reproduction of the original ms. and not a scan of it).  

LE has a single-sheet, high-quality-paper poster map, as well as a color reproduction of the original manuscript.  LE copies are signed and numbered as X of 51 or 53 in green ink (I don't recall the color offhand for replacements mailed out later) in the signing box; the signing box still has a printed "of 500" at the bottom of the box.  

SE has a two-piece poster map printed on lesser-quality paper, and does not contain the original ms. reproduction.  LE copies are numbered as X of 500, where the "of 500" is printed and only the X is hand-written.  

I'm sure other details will surface after I hear back from RJK and ENS.  Anyway, that should hopefully help in the meanwhile.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:27 pm 

BOTTLE CITY

Surefire method of identification

Green Pen : Limited Edition.

Black Pen : Standard edition.

SE Serial numbers

Limited Edition : 51 Signed and numbered copies.

Standard Edition(SE): Less than 450 will be put into circulation due to damaged product.

NUMBERING

SE: Issued directly to the public:  1>

SE: Issued in lots to game stores, such as Noble Knight Games: 500<

The Last Nazgul copy 489 was therefore likely purchased through NKG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:46 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I was just over at the Pied Piper website store....I thought now might be a good time to finally order a copy of Bottle City.

Only one shipping method is available...priorty for $6.80.

USPS recently changed its rates, as everyone probably already knows.

The very mainstream shipping module I was using on the site no longer functions with the USPS API. On Sunday/Monday I will be reprogramming it manually, for every zipcode range in the United States.... My apologies. Priority & EXPRESS will thereafter appear on the site. Also please note that all future PPP products will be sent from Florida, and USPS priority is now zonal. As has been previously stated, PPP will not send product using the lower USPS methods. We also intend to add another carrier, such as DHS/UPS/FEDEX, soon.

Further announcements on the PPP Web site soon to come. Thanks DEARLY for your continued patronage!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:59 pm 

Don't forget International buyers. The reason I didn't follow through on my attempted order was because shipping worked out twice the price of the product IIRC.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:03 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Instead of a number, my copy just has the signature and "authors" written on the back, similarly the map carries same on reverse.

Jonathan, is your copy a Red Pen copy? Is it numbered X of X?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:58 pm 

it all sounds tremendously confusing

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:53 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:it all sounds tremendously confusing

You're joking, right Al?   8O   :lol:

You collect games and number things by Judges Guild product number/letter/print run/magazine issue and you are confused by different types of ink?   :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:54 pm 

enshook wrote:
USPS recently changed its rates, as everyone probably already knows.

The very mainstream shipping module I was using on the site no longer functions with the USPS API. On Sunday/Monday I will be reprogramming it manually, for every zipcode range in the United States.... My apologies. Priority & EXPRESS will thereafter appear on the site. Also please note that all future PPP products will be sent from Florida, and USPS priority is now zonal. As has been previously stated, PPP will not send product using the lower USPS methods. We also intend to add another carrier, such as DHS/UPS/FEDEX, soon.

Further announcements on the PPP Web site soon to come. Thanks DEARLY for your continued patronage!

Eric...how many have you got left?  You know...of whatever colored ink or what?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:10 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Eric...how many have you got left?  You know...of whatever colored ink or what?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:37 pm 

Mine doesn't have either one. When I got mine Rob hadn't signed any of them yet. I was going to have him sign it at a later date. But now that he's moved to Florida, I'm not sure when that will happen.  :?

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:10 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
You're joking, right Al?   8O   :lol:

You collect games and number things by Judges Guild product number/letter/print run/magazine issue and you are confused by different types of ink?   :D

i dont know why one set wasnt labelled x/500 and the rest x/51 or 53 or 50whatever and then the rest author 1, author 2 etc....seems mighty straight forward to me

anyway what do i know :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:39 pm 

It's a great piece of writing, and it really opens a window into the way they game was played back in it's birth place. In the grand scheme of things you're really only talking about the difference in the quality of the map. And the poster map with it's black background that goes with the LE is really something. When these things come to be sold in later years, the LE and SE distinction isn't gonna be worth that much IMO. After all, the only difference between a Runic CotSK and a Numbered CotSK is the piece of paper that comes with it. Same with ToB. The product is identical in every way.

The only people who will really be bothered about the difference in the medium to long term are those uber-collectors who have them at present, and those up and coming uber-collectors who find they missed the boat and want one. None of us bought these LE/Runic copies just because we wanted to read them (else we would have bought regular copies or probably did as well). We all bought them either because we wanted to support Rob in his endevours to bring back that old time charm the game once held, or because we percieved an investment return opportunity (probably both). So our returns may not be so high, and there is confusion over the print runs, and maybe some lingering anxiety over the whole way things were handled.

Presumably we all got what we paid for, one way or another, and maybe some of us learnt a thing or two about investing on spec'. I for one will be backing any future PPP publications as far as circumstance will allow. Rob's writing has yet to dissapoint, and until it does, I'll go on reading and buying.

I suspect the more we talk about the numbering system the more the waters will become muddied. As with DCC #2.5, I would imagine the unsigned copies will be the true rarities. If you've got an unsigned LE map, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. Arneson signed DCC's must outnumber unsigned copies by maybe 25 to 1. With BC SE/LE that preumably is in the hundreds to one.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 114123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 112113114