Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 83 of 114123 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:03 pm 

Busman wrote:
How would they know what the typical value is? As you mentioned they jumped in, found the one OCE for sale and wanted it. They've never heard of The Acaeum, or even know that collecting old D&D is a hobby. The only thing that sucks is that everything is going for 25% over normal right now. I'm hoping that it will come down int he next week or two and that we'll see even more stuff come out as people realized that they had old D&D stuff laying around and they should sell it.

There are enough Whiteys out there now to build a white wall in your basement...so, yeh, prices will go down.  The next few weeks might be the time to actually pick one up cheaper than normal.

I sometimes forget the buyer who is not plugged into the hobby...because I've been plugged in so long. $500 probably looked like a bargain to the wide eyed ex-gamer looking for a piece of his youth.  And it came with Chainmail....Whoa!!!!  Picture his crestfallen face when his buddy tells him about the $150 copy he scored on Ebay a few months later.... :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:12 pm 

As you are likely aware; there are others who have also PM'ed me about my classified ad on the Acaeum, and though I obviously wish to get the best deal I can for the LE package, I do not wish to hold everyone on an invisible fishing line for too long, as I feel that would be unfair to all parties.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I don't get this. The last one went for $3 grand and you paid too much for yours 3 years ago? You should be laughing all the way to the bank. Think if you let it go for "the highest Mint Price indicated on the Acaeums Price lists"...

The Acaeum does a good job at surveying the previous prices, and it's very useful in that historical perspective. But it's nothing more than that -- old news.

I agree totally. Though I think you misinterpreted my statement.

Some years ago, when I bought the B-3 and strictly speaking of the time that I made my bid for the B-3, I had known that my final bid was way too much and that my final bid was FAR higher than even the Mint price listed for a B-3 on the Acaeums price guide......  
Now; However, and especially after the 3k E-Bay listing of a few weeks ago, my purchase of a few years ago seems to have been a much better deal for me than it did back then.

My point was that sometimes a high price for something now may not seem so high later on.

In today's market, I could probably get much more than 3k for my copy of Orange B-3 (Especially it being Mint and Shrink wrapped) if I chose to list it on E-Bay and advertised it here and at other RPG sites. Thing is, I wont be laughing all the way to the bank anyway, since the only way that B-3 is likely to leave me is after I am dead, or if I get too poor to buy bread for the family. If the former, then Mike will likely sell it for my wife and split the profits, if the latter, then it will have done some good for my family.

BTW: Mike is NOT exaggerating in the least about the white box sets that I had collected.
I did in fact have (at least) 15 OD&D White Box Sets at one time.
And he knows it to be a fact too, since he bought all but a couple of them from me 3 years ago.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:14 pm 

How would they know what the typical value is? As you mentioned they jumped in, found the one OCE for sale and wanted it. They've never heard of The Acaeum, or even know that collecting old D&D is a hobby.

I think this is the source of confusion. I don't know how that would help them or any of us, for that matter. Consider:

If OCEs typically go for $200, does that mean everyone stops their bidding at around $200? Is it like musical chairs and the bidder who gets it in at $200 wins? If so, then someone who wanted one has to wait his turn to pay $200 after everyone else has their fill at $200.

But people don't want to wait, nor do people value things the same way.

I would argue these "idiots" probably know what they typically go for but, because they want it NOW or because they have deeper pockets or because they have a greater "nostalgic desire" that needs to be filled, they simply bid more.

ETA:

I had known that it was too much and my highest bid was FAR higher than even the Mint price listed for a B-3 on the Acaeums price guide......

I just don't know how it matters. If you bid according to "book" value (or even a lot less) you wouldn't own the thing. Just because there is some perceived going rate doesn't mean you can actually purchase one at that price because those prices don't reflect what's going on this very minute. Yeah you could have waited for the "mint listed price for B-3", but it might be 5 years before you get that historical price for an OB3 because they are not listed often (and besides, this historical price will change as you wait).

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:21 pm 

hey guys...  I don't want to be a pedant, but I suspect that this discussion might run for a bit, suggest taking a discussion/debate about value and markets to a specific thread?

[ed.] to be helpful, have set one up

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:32 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I just don't know how it matters. If you bid according to "book" value (or even a lot less) you wouldn't own the thing. Just because there is some perceived going rate doesn't mean you can actually purchase one at that price because those prices don't reflect what's going on this very minute. Yeah you could have waited for the "mint listed price for B-3", but it might be 5 years before you get that historical price for an OB3 because they are not listed often (and besides, this historical price will change as you wait).

EXACTLY..........

If I had stopped at the highest Minty Price as then listed on the Acaeum's Price/Condition list, then the fantasy museum would have it instead of me..........

Back then, my bidding for that module had little to do with perceived prices, or listed values.
I had my own value for the OB-3 based on other less tangible things than a price guide ..........  
And I still do.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 pm 

Four (4) Queen of the Demonweb Pits in one auction,...including a brown one? :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mixed-Lot-of-Dungeo ... dZViewItem

First print or fading?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:45 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Four (4) Queen of the Demonweb Pits in one auction,...including a brown one? :?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

First print or fading?

They all look various shades of purple to me.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:47 pm 

Never seen that reddish, wine coloured purple though. Maybe that one's been aged in an oak cask.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:54 pm 

Interesting ... 97-percent feedback ratio and he took three years off of eBay. He doesn't even have any DSRs yet. See feedback for details.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:45 pm 

And Radford, Virginia as well for the location...

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:16 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Never seen that reddish, wine coloured purple though. Maybe that one's been aged in an oak cask.

That's a first print.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:23 pm 

Indeed it is. I just looked at the printing info. They seem to sell for a fair bit too.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 pm 

Minty looking Guidon DGUTS:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:08 pm 

D&D Trivia game. I hour to go, one bid only at $4

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 pm 

D&D Lost Tamoachan Origins edition

The module you are looking at, 184 out of 300, has no writing in it at all.

The one that was sold recently would be copy 39, making this copy the 40th known to exist

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Lost-Tamoachan- ... dZViewItem

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:44 pm 

Malakai wrote:D&D Lost Tamoachan Origins edition

The module you are looking at, 184 out of 300, has no writing in it at all.

The one that was sold recently would be copy 39, making this copy the 40th known to exist

Sweet. I betcha it goes for over 2k.... easily.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:32 am 

Here is a massive lot of 90 modules with a $525 bin or $400 starting bid.

The listing is a bit melodramatic though - makes you wonder if the Seller can be trusted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Here is a massive lot of 90 modules with a $525 bin or $400 starting bid.

The listing is a bit melodramatic though - makes you wonder if the Seller can be trusted:

Actually, comparing the price to the contents, it does not seem very "interesting" to me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 83 of 114123 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 112113114