Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 114123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 112113114
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:18 am 

6th printing whiteys from this year (excluding shipping):

1/08 111.00
1/13 75.33
1/18 132.50
1/22 100.00
1/28 150.05
1/29 82.00
2/03 78.92
2/06 76.00
2/09 109.50
2/13 79.50
2/17 77.52
3/05 203.50
3/08 205.36
3/11 500.00
3/12 230.37
3/16 250.00

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:51 am 

EGG died on the 4th, if memory serves ... and look at that price spike.  8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 am 

Badmike wrote:
People can keep collecting....but do it intelligently. Mike B.

Is this actually possible?

As someone who buys things because they sound 'neat' in a magazine review printed 25 years ago, I would say no! (Perhaps that's just me though) :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:56 am 

(Oh and I've got an OCE that anyone here can have for $200, and I'll ship it for free!!!) :roll:  :wink:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:07 am 

Mattel handheld electronic D&D game w/box & instructions:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:18 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Mattel handheld electronic D&D game w/box & instructions:

Rumoured to be assembled by hand, by Gary Gygax and his family!

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:21 am 

Badmike wrote:
People can keep collecting....but do it intelligently. There is simply no reason for a white box to go for three times it's value....except that EGG died last week and a lot of casual lookie loos got on ebay and went berserk overpaying for the item by bidding against each other. A more thoughtful buyer might have waited a week or so, picked his spots, and come out with the same thing for, say, $150-$200 instead of $500. You watch, this next batch of whiteys put up to capitalize on those few crazy sales will come down to earth and go for their true value.

Mike B.

I think Mike has it right, in that most of the high bidding for that specific auction was driven by the passing of Gary G. The seller simply was on E-Bay at the right time and my hearty congratulations to his success in that auction.

Several years ago, I was one of those lookie loos, or more precicely a rookie. I was paying higher than average prices for rares and many common items as well. I settled down after a while and eventually found this site, which settled me down even more, but by then I had already overpaid for a lot of things on E-Bay. Some of you older members here might recall that at that time I was one of the most prolific Fantasy Collectors at the Acaeum and possibly one of the biggest spenders on Fantasy/TSR items on E-Bay.  At that time............. That all ended when I started my own company. Otherwise I would likely still be spending gobs on E-Bay and need a larger house to store my stuff.

During that time, one of the items that I overpaid for is an Orange B-3 (SW - Mint) and it is still in my now meager collection. The Orange B-3 was more expensive than it should have been as I paid far higher for it than the highest Mint Price indicated on the Acaeums Price lists (By that time, I was already a member here).

Of course I was bidding against the top collectors here at the time too, including amongst several others (If I recall correctly) those Fantasy Museum guys. They were hard to win against even then and they had VERY DEEP pockets. Now they seem to have pockets that go even deeper. Yet even so, they were not the only other bidders in the fight against me in that little war either.

But, still during that time I also found a lot of AWESOME deals. I was able to obtain a second edition wood grain box set for (I think) about 400 and it is in near mint condition (Box) and Mint condition (Books). Not to mention the First Edition Chainmail in NM condition I was able to get for 300 (Sold by a fellow Acaeum member, and later traded by me to another member).

Recently (As many here will remember) an Orange B-3 was sold on E-bay for almost twice what I paid for mine and it was not even in near mint condition (From the picture I saw it did not seem to be). So, I think my investment will eventually proove to have been at least less of a disaster, if not sound.

Still $500 for a OCE does seem to lean heavily towards the rediculous side.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:57 am 

Aneoth wrote:I think Mike has it right, in that most of the high bidding for that specific auction was driven by the passing of Gary G.

obvious yes + white boxes follow trends more

Aneoth wrote:Several years ago, I was one of those lookie loos, or more precicely a rookie.

rookie your words "idiot" otherwise??
bad choice of word to not encourage people to hang out + join in. making clear out to rip newbies for cheap prices not much better

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:rookie your words "idiot" otherwise??
bad choice of word to not encourage people to hang out + join in. making clear out to rip newbies for cheap prices not much better

"Idiot" was a bad choice of words, I agree.  Perhaps "newbie" or "rookie" would have been better.  Although at the time Aneoth was accumulating his 15 or so Whiteys I think the "I" word was bandied about here quite a bit!!!!  :D  Sorry John

I'm upset because it appears a small group of zero or single feedback bidders is responsible for the price hike...but I suppose you're right, it's not my money.  But some of those prices are incredibly shilltastic if you ask me.

The funniest part is that the sheep don't even look around a little before committing themselves to a kamikazi attack on the items.  Look at the latest sale for $575 (which included a Chainmail 3rd ed).  Prices were driven up $300 by a bidder with ONE feedback. Cmon people!!!! Catch a clue!!!!

With some patience it shouldn't be too hard to get a Whitey AND a Chainmail 3rd for about $250 (or less).  Take the THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS you just saved and buy another set...or a R1....or a complete set of monos...you get the picture.  Then again it's just supply and demand which I typically champion...so just ignore a rambling old man....

Maybe it's just me....then again I'm hardwired to look for the "deal" instead of using $100 bills to light cigars....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:26 am 

Badmike wrote:then again I'm hardwired to look for the "deal" instead of using $100 bills to light cigars....

Of course you don't do that.  The smoke from the burning ink spoils the flavour. :D

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:11 am 

During that time, one of the items that I overpaid for is an Orange B-3 (SW - Mint) and it is still in my now meager collection. The Orange B-3 was more expensive than it should have been as I paid far higher for it than the highest Mint Price indicated on the Acaeums Price lists (By that time, I was already a member here).

I don't get this. The last one went for $3 grand and you paid too much for yours 3 years ago? You should be laughing all the way to the bank. Think if you let it go for "the highest Mint Price indicated on the Acaeums Price lists"...

The Acaeum does a good job at surveying the previous prices, and it's very useful in that historical perspective. But it's nothing more than that -- old news.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:15 am 

Some good looking monos:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am 

Some non-TSR stuff that might be of interest:

eBay listings

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:23 am 

Badmike wrote:
"Idiot" was a bad choice of words, I agree.  Perhaps "newbie" or "rookie" would have been better.

Mike B.

Honestly if you look at the winner of the $575 OCE + Chainmail I think the words "newbie" and "rookie" don't quite fit.  Maybe the word idiot is thrown around a bit too much here but in some cases it does fit.  And if someone does get offended by being called an idiot....well geez....usually there is a pretty good reason for it and maybe they should think about a little bit before getting all whiny and offended.

Or maybe we could just adjust ourselves and start using more politically-correct terminology.  Perhaps "intelligence-impaired" or "lacking in cognitive skills" or something similar?  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:41 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:rookie your words "idiot" otherwise??

Yeah. We get it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:55 pm 

Badmike wrote:
People can keep collecting....but do it intelligently. There is simply no reason for a white box to go for three times it's value....except that EGG died last week and a lot of casual lookie loos got on ebay and went berserk overpaying for the item by bidding against each other. A more thoughtful buyer might have waited a week or so, picked his spots, and come out with the same thing for, say, $150-$200 instead of $500. You watch, this next batch of whiteys put up to capitalize on those few crazy sales will come down to earth and go for their true value.

Mike B.

How would they know what the typical value is? As you mentioned they jumped in, found the one OCE for sale and wanted it. They've never heard of The Acaeum, or even know that collecting old D&D is a hobby. The only thing that sucks is that everything is going for 25% over normal right now. I'm hoping that it will come down int he next week or two and that we'll see even more stuff come out as people realized that they had old D&D stuff laying around and they should sell it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:03 pm 

Busman wrote:
How would they know what the typical value is? As you mentioned they jumped in, found the one OCE for sale and wanted it. They've never heard of The Acaeum, or even know that collecting old D&D is a hobby. The only thing that sucks is that everything is going for 25% over normal right now. I'm hoping that it will come down int he next week or two and that we'll see even more stuff come out as people realized that they had old D&D stuff laying around and they should sell it.

There are enough Whiteys out there now to build a white wall in your basement...so, yeh, prices will go down.  The next few weeks might be the time to actually pick one up cheaper than normal.

I sometimes forget the buyer who is not plugged into the hobby...because I've been plugged in so long. $500 probably looked like a bargain to the wide eyed ex-gamer looking for a piece of his youth.  And it came with Chainmail....Whoa!!!!  Picture his crestfallen face when his buddy tells him about the $150 copy he scored on Ebay a few months later.... :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:12 pm 

As you are likely aware; there are others who have also PM'ed me about my classified ad on the Acaeum, and though I obviously wish to get the best deal I can for the LE package, I do not wish to hold everyone on an invisible fishing line for too long, as I feel that would be unfair to all parties.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I don't get this. The last one went for $3 grand and you paid too much for yours 3 years ago? You should be laughing all the way to the bank. Think if you let it go for "the highest Mint Price indicated on the Acaeums Price lists"...

The Acaeum does a good job at surveying the previous prices, and it's very useful in that historical perspective. But it's nothing more than that -- old news.

I agree totally. Though I think you misinterpreted my statement.

Some years ago, when I bought the B-3 and strictly speaking of the time that I made my bid for the B-3, I had known that my final bid was way too much and that my final bid was FAR higher than even the Mint price listed for a B-3 on the Acaeums price guide......  
Now; However, and especially after the 3k E-Bay listing of a few weeks ago, my purchase of a few years ago seems to have been a much better deal for me than it did back then.

My point was that sometimes a high price for something now may not seem so high later on.

In today's market, I could probably get much more than 3k for my copy of Orange B-3 (Especially it being Mint and Shrink wrapped) if I chose to list it on E-Bay and advertised it here and at other RPG sites. Thing is, I wont be laughing all the way to the bank anyway, since the only way that B-3 is likely to leave me is after I am dead, or if I get too poor to buy bread for the family. If the former, then Mike will likely sell it for my wife and split the profits, if the latter, then it will have done some good for my family.

BTW: Mike is NOT exaggerating in the least about the white box sets that I had collected.
I did in fact have (at least) 15 OD&D White Box Sets at one time.
And he knows it to be a fact too, since he bought all but a couple of them from me 3 years ago.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 114123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 112113114