Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 114123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 112113114
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:The latest media mail chart I have actually ends at about $25.50 ... and that's for 70 pounds of material.

If that's not a typo of some other kind of mistake, we're looking at a listing that practically redefines "excessive shipping."

I reported both auctions. I think I'm going to make it my personal mission to start reporting excessive shipping in the D&D section.

For example, I was looking through the D&D mini's last night and some people have $7.00 for a single plastic miniature.

I'm tired of it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19 pm 

Bio One

** expired/removed eBay auction **

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 pm 

Busman wrote:
I reported both auctions. I think I'm going to make it my personal mission to start reporting excessive shipping in the D&D section.

For example, I was looking through the D&D mini's last night and some people have $7.00 for a single plastic miniature.

I'm tired of it.

Shipping is a funny thing. After mailing stuff for 14 years, I can pretty much look at an item and tell you if the shipping is over the top or not.  In a lot of cases what seems to be high may not be, depending on the method of mailing.  Unfortunatley a lot of buyers (I'm not pointng to you Busman by any means, just making a generalization) think that ANY shipping cost is too high. I've actually had buyers underpay shipping, and I took up the difference, to have them complain the shipping was STILL too high..... :roll:

The artwork is going to have to be shipped in a wooden crate and insured for $1000 AT A MINIMUM.  The final price for the piece may end up being even more, which would require even more insurance. That one might be about right. I don't have that much experience with expensive artwork; plus maybe the seller was covering his bases in case a foreign buyer purchased the artwork.  If they were to put a low shipping price, an overseas buyer might initially pay that without realizing that shipping to Asia requires additional costs.

For the D&D minis, it depends on the size.  I ship all my D&D minis in a small priority box, which typically runs $4.60 to $6 for a single.  If it's a larger mini like a medium sized dragon, giant, or the like (which would require a bigger priority box), $7-$8 isn't out of the question. Thus, if the $7 mini is being shipped in a padded envelope or small plain package, $7 is probably too much.  If it's being shipped in a priority box, or it's a larger mini, that's not over the top to ask $7 for shipping. It depends on the specific item.

The media mail one seems a bit padded....I don't think I've had a media mail shipment come out to above $20 in my life.  Not to mention he could use flat rate priority box mail on that lot and it would come in at HALF the total.

I've stopped reporting excessive shipping totals merely because it plays into Ebay's hands.  They have gone on record saying they want sellers to give out free shipping and make up for the price difference by having the seller tack on the extra charges to the price of the item....a transparent ploy to take money OUT of the sellers pocket and put it INTO their pocket (because Ebay makes money on the FVF and not the shipping cost). In other words EBay has absolutely no problem with anyone overpaying for something, as long as they get a piece of it...which is why they've made every effort to crack down on "excessive" shipping, yet done nothing for years to stop sellers like Cougar from pissing on people.  I'd much rather pay higher shipping and help out someone trying to make a living than give another cent to the greedmongers that are ruining EBay at the moment.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:32 pm 

Badmike wrote:Shipping is a funny thing.

Totally agreed, Mike.

But, for every guy like you who is trying to keep things reasonable, there is a guy taking a 4oz module, shoving it in a grocery bag and stuffing that in a 40 cent yellow envelope and writing do not bend on the envelope; and charging $4 for S&H. (One of my latest purchases)

I generally don't bat an eye at anything $4 and under for shipping, even on small things.

I've shipped stuff for the last 14 years or so as well for my job and I know that you can ship things cheap if you want, and people often do. Or you can very nicely package things and put them in a nice box with a nice wrapping of bubble wrap.

If something is shipped well, I don't mind paying for it. $8-$10 for something wrapped in bubblewrap and put in a nice box. Totally worth it. $8-$10 for that same box set just thrown in a cardboard box? Not worth it.

It's why I mention in each of my feedbacks about the shipping quality if it's good. Well shipped items mean I'm a repeat customer.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:05 pm 

Busman wrote:
Totally agreed, Mike.

But, for every guy like you who is trying to keep things reasonable, there is a guy taking a 4oz module, shoving it in a grocery bag and stuffing that in a 40 cent yellow envelope and writing do not bend on the envelope; and charging $4 for S&H. (One of my latest purchases)

I generally don't bat an eye at anything $4 and under for shipping, even on small things.

I've shipped stuff for the last 14 years or so as well for my job and I know that you can ship things cheap if you want, and people often do. Or you can very nicely package things and put them in a nice box with a nice wrapping of bubble wrap.

If something is shipped well, I don't mind paying for it. $8-$10 for something wrapped in bubblewrap and put in a nice box. Totally worth it. $8-$10 for that same box set just thrown in a cardboard box? Not worth it.

It's why I mention in each of my feedbacks about the shipping quality if it's good. Well shipped items mean I'm a repeat customer.

Yeh I have had the guy who took a pulp magazine 50 years old, wrapped brown paper around it, slapped an address and stamp on that, and charged me priority shipping.   :evil:  Did he get a postive feedbck? Noooooooo......

I also recently had another magazine disaster...which is why I'm always throwing caution to the wind when I buy mags (after promising myself I wont' ever buy mags through the mail again!). Then again I just had a box full of mags arrive from Bspaul in PERFECT shape...so I know it can be done.  

I guess what I meant to say is that I don't mind paying for shipping...even overpaying...as long as I get the product in the condition it was packaged in.  So I don't like to judge a lot of the "excessive" shipping until it gets to me and I can see if they charged me $10 for a priority box or $10 for a grocery bag and duct tape...... 8O

The lesson I suppose is ask before you bid..."Do you use priority boxes, or is my paperback going to arrive coverless in a reused plain white envelope?"

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:47 pm 

Busman wrote:

I hear ya! I  had my eye on a module that was up for auction by an Acaeum member. The shipping was $12.00 to Canada from the U.S. I cannot justify paying that much.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:57 pm 

NetRodent wrote:Bio One

** expired/removed eBay auction **

2nd print fyi

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:20 pm 

xraygord wrote:The shipping was $12.00 to Canada from the U.S. I cannot justify paying that much.

Chances are that this rate was for the Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope for $9 + a bit of a handling fee.  You can probably stuff a few modules in there for the same price and it usually shows us in about a week and a half instead of 2-3 weeks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 pm 

xraygord wrote:
I hear ya! I  had my eye on a module that was up for auction by an Acaeum member. The shipping was $12.00 to Canada from the U.S. I cannot justify paying that much.

I am assuming this was me. :) Mark is right, my shipping to Canada would have actually been $10($12 for outside North America) for Priority Mail or if you would have wanted I would have shipped it First Class for like $5 or $6. You should have asked.  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:43 pm 

Mars wrote:Chances are that this rate was for the Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope for $9 + a bit of a handling fee.  You can probably stuff a few modules in there for the same price and it usually shows us in about a week and a half instead of 2-3 weeks.

I wish I lived where you do, Mars.  Priority takes two weeks to get to me, and first class can take 4 or more.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

I am assuming this was me. :) Mark is right, my shipping to Canada would have actually been $10($12 for outside North America) for Priority Mail or if you would have wanted I would have shipped it First Class for like $5 or $6. You should have asked.  :wink:

BC makes a good point...sometimes when I see ridiculous shipping, I ask them if the rates are set in stone and if they will combine shipping for multiple orders. Almost always they will help me out, I've got some really good deals on stuff I wouldn't have normally bid on because the shipping looked really high.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:36 pm 

Badmike wrote:
BC makes a good point...sometimes when I see ridiculous shipping, I ask them if the rates are set in stone and if they will combine shipping for multiple orders. Almost always they will help me out, I've got some really good deals on stuff I wouldn't have normally bid on because the shipping looked really high.

Mike B.

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm sure I'll be sending BC and you Badmike money at some point.  :wink:

But to give you my perspective... the treasure seeking/searching part of collecting is half the fun for me, if not more. So if I see a shipping price that is high with no other apparent options available then I will move on and keep searching. There will be exceptions to this rule of course but I think you get my point. After all it is ebay, and unless its an item I'm dying to get, I can always wait.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:49 pm 

It's all moot if sellers follow eBay's advice and start providing 'free' shipping (the modern thing to do, don't you know?). Everything will just start at $big bucks or more instead of 99c and the handling fees are going to be harder to determine because they'll blur with arbitrary opening prices. Plus that price will include eBay's new FVF cut.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 pm 

Beleve me I DO NOT agree with the way ebay is going and i'm mostly a buyer. When I do sell its not to make money, although it never hurts :)  its usually just to get rid of stuff I have that is collecting dust.

Shipping costs money, it shouldn't be free, I'm referring to exceptionaly high shipping prices.
i.e. seller A ships for $1.00 while seller B charges $7.00. The exact same shipping service and packing materials used by both

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:40 pm 

xraygord wrote:Beleve me I DO NOT agree with the way ebay is going and i'm mostly a buyer. When I do sell its not to make money, although it never hurts :)  its usually just to get rid of stuff I have that is collecting dust.

Shipping costs money, it shouldn't be free, I'm referring to exceptionaly high shipping prices.
i.e. seller A ships for $1.00 while seller B charges $7.00. The exact same shipping service and packing materials used by both

Yeah I know you are, sorry but when I get a bee in my bonnet I bang on and bore the crap out of people. It's my way. Actually I used to charge fairly high shipping prices, for several reasons. First, Royal Mail is damn expensive and they've put that 25mm max depth rule in to ensure that anything over a size 3 Jiffy goes small packets rather than large letter. Third - I always used new packing materials because I hate getting decent RPG stuff in scribbled out, half worn envelopes that already took a battering first time around. And C - I took every step to ensure the item ended up in the buyer's hands in the same condition it left me, so that meant plenty of bubble wrap, bags, boards and so on. I worked out my costs carefully, to the penny, and figured how much materials cost to charge. Worked out 70p for the first item and 30p per item thereafter with postage costs by weight added. But nobody ever complained because they always got their stuff in tip-top condition. What with eBay and Paypal fees I had to pass this cost on or else I would have made negligible profit. Mind you, when I did clear a decent return I always dropped the additional charges and sent at cost. I think as long as the intentions are good then shipping costs can be justified. When shipping turns into a scam I agree, that's the time to complain.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 pm 

I am not sure what the hang up is. If a seller has inflated his shipping charges, most buyers will adjust their bidding (or not bid at all).

I have been selling on ebay for close to nine years and I have always kept my shipping fees within 10% of the POSTAL COST. The extra 10% covers purchasing extra materials that the post office does not provide. Nevertheless, some idiot crawls out of the woodwork from time to time and tells me that my shipping cost is $0.35 too high for priority mail...

Also, dealing with the post office is no picnic. First off, I have checked their website and quoted shipping only to show up at the post office and get jammed - this mostly happens with non GPM international stuff. Secondly, I don't care what anyone says; standing in line and filling out those ridiculous international shipping forms sucks. Yeah, it is part of being a seller, but like the man said,"there is no such thing as a free lunch."

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm 

Sooo.....

Is there any interesting item s up?   :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 pm 

Nothing that is affordable for me and interesting to you  :D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 114123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 112113114