Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 114123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:34 pm 

The only one that I remember being up for sale on Ebay in the past couple of years was the Buy-it-now for $50.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:05 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
OK... For those of you on the valuation board, the last price update was from 2003.  How much has this rare sold for since then? Or, is this the first Orange B3 since 2003 on Ebay?

Plus, I think the photo is just a trick of the light to making the module's normal green appearance look orange.  So really, everyone, just forget about this auction because no one wants another GREEN copy of B3.... 8O

That's right, you don't want to add it to your watch list and if it is already there, go ahead and delete it.  Nobody will want this orange, I mean green B3.  Plus it is in shrinkwrap... Who in their right mind wants a module that's in shrink?  :wink:

It's safe to say there have been plenty more woodgrains available the last few years than orange B3s...which is crazy if you think about it.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:2003 is the last time information about the product itself was updated, not the last time the price was updated.  IIRC the last price update was like last April or so.

You are correct Brian.  I only looked at the 'Rares' page which lists the last update as Dec 14, 03; however, the 'Modules' page lists the last update as Jan 12, 07.  

Thanks again and remember forget about the auction. Forget about the auction. Forget... Forget... Forget...  :D

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:57 am 

Badmike wrote:
It's safe to say there have been plenty more woodgrains available the last few years than orange B3s...which is crazy if you think about it.

Mike B.

Why is it crazy? There were thousands of woodgrains made (7000?). The alleged count of orange B3s is under 100. It's nearly a factor of 100:1 in favor of woodgrains.

The only thing bringing the rarity down a notch for the woodys is that they were printed earlier and people didn't think of them as instantly collectible like the orange b3s obviously would have been.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 am 

Because woodies were much more likely to suffer damage and/or be tossed out/disassembled.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:28 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Because woodies were much more likely to suffer damage and/or be tossed out/disassembled.

ABSOLUTELY!

how many woodies do you reckon are in one piece?

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 am 

smarmy1 wrote:
You are correct Brian.  I only looked at the 'Rares' page which lists the last update as Dec 14, 03; however, the 'Modules' page lists the last update as Jan 12, 07.  

Thanks again and remember forget about the auction. Forget about the auction. Forget... Forget... Forget...  :D

It wont matter who forgets to bid....Harami needs another one apparently.  :roll:   Not sure who the high bidder is at the moment though.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:20 am 

Busman wrote:
Why is it crazy? There were thousands of woodgrains made (7000?). The alleged count of orange B3s is under 100. It's nearly a factor of 100:1 in favor of woodgrains.

The only thing bringing the rarity down a notch for the woodys is that they were printed earlier and people didn't think of them as instantly collectible like the orange b3s obviously would have been.

How many of those Woodgrains are left in one piece, though? Most woodgrains are a decade older...were heavily used (did anyone buy a woodgrain just to sit on their shelf?)....they are not that sturdy and they fell apart. At the time no one thought they would ever be worth anything.

An orange B3 was a instant collectible from the word go, and I would venture to say everyone that survived the "purge" is still around somewhere.  Also, the alleged number of orange B3's still around (is it supposed to be 72?)  has been long debated as being far too low.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 am 

If you read Frank M's comments on the OB3 page, he is surely convinced that the "only 72 copies were rescued" story is utter BS:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/b3.html

<clip>

"I think there were several reasons why the piece was recalled, and psychobabble has nothing to do with it (the claims that it never shipped are false; several cases at least went out to distributors.)  The design flaws are the obvious thing -- we were growing like mad and setting new standards for quality, and here was this thing.... The inferior artwork, dropping in quality while every other product was improving, also hurt.  Gary wasn't happy about being included in the one drawing by Erol but he didn't pitch a fit; it's not like he was being mocked or jabbed, merely included"

We also discussed this here in depth a year or two ago and the overriding conclusion that almost everyone agreed upon was that the residual evidence clearly supported more than 72 copies existing:

viewtopic.php?t=2954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ob3&start=0

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:11 am 

bclarkie wrote:If you read Frank M's comments on the OB3 page, he is surely convinced that the "only 72 copies were rescued" story is utter BS:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/b3.html

<clip>

"I think there were several reasons why the piece was recalled, and psychobabble has nothing to do with it (the claims that it never shipped are false; several cases at least went out to distributors.)  The design flaws are the obvious thing -- we were growing like mad and setting new standards for quality, and here was this thing.... The inferior artwork, dropping in quality while every other product was improving, also hurt.  Gary wasn't happy about being included in the one drawing by Erol but he didn't pitch a fit; it's not like he was being mocked or jabbed, merely included"

We also discussed this here in depth a year or two ago and the overriding conclusion that almost everyone agreed upon was that the residual evidence clearly supported more than 72 copies existing:

viewtopic.php?t=2954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ob3&start=0

I also think the so called "official" number is low. Just sounds far too urban-legendish.  For all we know, numerous boxes of the item might have been snuck out or taken from the dumpster that day.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:24 am 

I recall someone having a box of orange B3's some years ago.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I recall someone having a box of orange B3's some years ago.

It was Aaron from NK.  This one up for sale currently is apparently from that stash as the seller indicates.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 am 

Badmike wrote:
I also think the so called "official" number is low. Just sounds far too urban-legendish.  For all we know, numerous boxes of the item might have been snuck out or taken from the dumpster that day.

Mike B.

No I agree. When we discussed it a couple years ago that was pretty much the concensus too.  Frank's comments, that have been added to the site since then pretty much state in no uncertain terms he thinks the 72 number is BS.   Now he may be wrong(I am not saying I think he is), but it seems pretty clear to me that he is conviced that number is wrong and he is not just guessing.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:58 am 

bclarkie wrote:
No I agree. When we discussed it a couple years ago that was pretty much the concensus too.  Frank's comments, that have been added to the site since then pretty much state in no uncertain terms he thinks the 72 number is BS.   Now he may be wrong(I am not saying I think he is), but it seems pretty clear to me that he is conviced that number is wrong and he is not just guessing.

If what he says was true (that distributors got some boxes before the recall) then certainly the number is larger. I have always had a problem with assigning an arbitrary number to something like this.  From what I understand Aaron's stash was large enough that it would have been a third of the "supposed" number of 72, which leads to a lot of doubt in that number.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:04 am 

Well, 24 is 1/3rd of 72; but more importantly, it is also the inverse of 42, which is the answer... so, you know, its not that improbable, if Aaron didn't panic and brought his towel.

I agree: 72 seems too precise a count.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:02 pm 

Well, 24 is 1/3rd of 72; but more importantly, it is also the inverse of 42, which is the answer... so, you know, its not that improbable, if Aaron didn't panic and brought his towel.

I agree: 72 seems too precise a count.

It's nice to have a number for record keeping purposes -- I think this is important to pursue.

But for most people, they don't value OB3 highly because it's 1 of 50 or 1 of 200 in existence. What matters for most people is the look of the thing, it's lore, and how many of them are actually obtainable. I think there's like one offered a year, if that. Most people just will not part with them.

Btw.. 800 bone seems like a lot for one heavily mutated by plastic..

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:17 pm 

serleran wrote:Well, 24 is 1/3rd of 72; but more importantly, it is also the inverse of 42, which is the answer... so, you know, its not that improbable, if Aaron didn't panic and brought his towel.

Always useful to have a travel guide too. Maybe one designed for a bit of hitchhiking...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:25 pm 

Badmike wrote:I also think the so called "official" number is low. Just sounds far too urban-legendish.

The orange B3's legendary status is almost certainly the result of a perfect storm of urban-legend-ness (urban-legend-osity? urban-legend-itis?)

The story has everything: an unfortunate event everyone can relate to ("valuable stuff got thrown away!"), a surprise twist ("but some of it was saved!"), an unverifiable "fact" that has been repeated over and over until it becomes gospel ("only one box was saved!"), and, most importantly, no way for any legitimate research to uncover what actually happened. You'd need an actual time machine to gather all of the facts on this case.

My educated guess as a longtime collector is similar to what has been mentioned above: there are far more than 72 of these floating around, but they do not come into the market very often. They are being hoarded.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 114123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 112113114