Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 114123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 112113114
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 pm 

Kind of low for this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... NA:US:1123

I just about got it with a few seconds left :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Kind of low for this one

** expired/removed eBay auction **

$2610 was lower than  I thought it might go, though probably about right - I'd be interested to know how much TFM's snipe was. (and do we know what those pictures are - I can't remember if it was discussed?)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:10 am 

Okay, not a particularly interesting item but it caught my eye. Check out he user name and the whole item description - talk about vent your spleen!! (though he does talk a lot of sense, just perhaps goes about it the wrong way!)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:10 am 

(and I bid on it cos I felt bad for him!) :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:02 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Kind of low for this one

It was a good win.  I thought I might luck out, but fell just short.  I feel your pain, Jeff.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:29 am 

I spent a while humming and ha-ing about what level to set an electronic snipe.  In the end it was too low (so didn't show up).  Really hard to say.  Pros: Nice looking box and books and ref. sheets.  Cons: loose pages in the centre of books, and a bust box corner.  I wouldn't have worried about the name in ink.  I couldn't tell from the pics exactly how good the books were.  All in all a hard call.  When I logged on this morning I was half hoping I had won and half that I had lost.  Although that could just be me - you should see me trying to choose wine in a restaurant :wink:

The pics are (I think) just cut outs or copies from other supplements - the seller said that they fit in the box - so are presumably not the fabled (mythical) D&D Prints (which are supposed to be 8.5" X 11" reproductions of some of art from the rulebooks).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 am 

red_bus wrote: so are presumably not the fabled (mythical) D&D Prints (which are supposed to be 8.5" X 11" reproductions of some of art from the rulebooks).

Not so sure about that, which is why I also had a hard time deciding how high to go.  I have a sneaking feeling they might actually be the prints...

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:32 am 

Ah well, if that is the case, and these are the prints, I wish that I would have bid higher.   Here is the discussion we had on the Acaeum, a few months ago, when this was last up for auction (at $4.8K)

viewtopic.php?p=99798&highlight=prints#99798

When I asked the seller back then, he said, "They all fit nicely in the box, that is no larger than the books.  Probably average 4" x 6"."   Although that is hardly conclusive.  There are others here who know much more about these things than me  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:44 am 

By the way Stephen - I feel bad that with you over this side of the pond we have yet to have another Acaeum meeting going here in London (or in Copenhagen for that matter).  You still there or are you back home?  i.e. is it too late  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:26 am 

Fortunately, as with many things in life, it's never too late.  But thanks for your sympathies because being holed up in Denmark for the year has really taken the bite out of my collecting budget (despite the crushing taxes and generally high cost of living, though, the masses are kept calm by cheap beer and wine!).

Yeah, I'm still on my euro-trash tour, but travel plans are really heating up now, so time is short!  Just got back from the neo-tropics, and am now on my way to 78 degrees North.  Livin' the dream, babe, livin' the dream.   :D

BTW, I was sure you were going to snag that woody...you seem to be on a roll at the moment.  Nice grabs with the WoM and 2nd woody!

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:13 am 

bombadil wrote:
Not so sure about that, which is why I also had a hard time deciding how high to go.  I have a sneaking feeling they might actually be the prints...

RedBus, Mars and I discussed this a bit earlier in this thread. I'm of the same opinion that RedBus states above - they are cut-outs - some from a Blackmoor supplement.

viewtopic.php?p=99798

zhowar wrote:Is this 3 original Greg Bell artworks, 1 Sutherland (the Stirges) and 1 other (looks like Jeff Dee boots on that swordsman...)? Or are these copies?

Mars wrote:I think these might be the "Prints from Dungeons & Dragons" set 2: Witch, Hippogriff, Wizrds Fighting, Barbarian, Werewolf.   They are listed in the catalog pages of a number of GK logo'd early books.  So I don't think they are original drawings but rather larger prints.

zhowar wrote:This is a possibility, but there are some significant discrepancies. First, the top picture is from Blackmoor (pg 15) and is labeled "Hell Hounds" (this label appears replicated in the above "art print"). This could possibly have been used as a "Werewolf" art print. The second picture on the left is from Blackmoor (pg 25) and is labeled "Harpie". I suppose TSR could have used this as a "Witch", but I find this doubtful. The bottom left one is of Stirges (similar to the Monster Manual picture, but larger - I think I've seen this somewhere - Dragon magazine?). The second picture on the right could easily be a Barbarian, although the style of art looks quite different from the other pictures. Finally, the bottom right picture is from Blackmoor (pg 5) and shows a single "Wizard" rather than "Wizards Fighting" as listed in the "art print" set. A much more likely candidate for "Wizards Fighting" would be Bell's picture on the very last page of Men & Magic.

Mars wrote:Anything is possible.  The D&D art prints sets are just suppose to be 8.5 X 11 reproductions of some of the art pieces from the rulebooks.  These looked like that is where they were from and a couple matched the description from Set 2.  The page sizes in this auction look proportional to 8.5 X 11 in some cases but the barbarian is not as wide.

I don't really know if the art prints were ever even sold.  Is this a research item here somewhere on the Acaeum?  The art prints are only listed in a few early GK logo TSR books and if some of the ones pictured are from Blackmoor then they could very well be too late to be them.

red_bus wrote:If they are the prints - that would be very exciting, since as far as I have heard, no-one in the online D&D collecting community has ever actually seen these before.  There is always a first time for any rare collectible to show up, but as the years roll by, it does make it less likely that these are the once advertised prints.  The original ad refers to these as prints "from the rules booklets", which would likely rule the supplement Blackmoor out. I will email the seller to ask what the dimensions the pictures are.

red_bus wrote:Regarding the woodgrain. Seller seems a nice and certainly helpful guy.  Here is his response on the prints: "They all fit nicely in the box, that is no larger than the books.  Probably average 4" x 6"."   That might reduce the probability that they are the once advertised TSR prints. Thought worth mentioning for everyone.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:45 am 

zhowar wrote:I'm of the same opinion that RedBus states above - they are cut-outs - some from a Blackmoor supplement.

3 of the pics are from Blackmoor.  But I don't think they are simply cutouts from the book.  If they were, they would have text on the back and be easily identified as such.  Also, if they were "photocopied" from the book, the text/pictures from the back of the page would show through as well and this doesn't appear to be the case.  Without having them on hand it is tough to see what process was used to create them and their age.

I think it is still possible that they were done by TSR.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:13 pm 

Anyone gonna take a chance on this War of Wizards?

No picture and the description states it is in good to fair condition.  No shipping options stated either but is a U.S. only auction.  The sellers feedback is deceptive (99.1%) but only has one neg from four years ago.  Maybe the seller will screw over the current bidder who has some horrific feedback for someone who has only been on Ebay a few months.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:44 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Maybe the seller will screw over the current bidder who has some horrific feedback for someone who has only been on Ebay a few months.  :?

This is exactly the type of situation where buyer feedback can be an important factor to consider.

Oh, wait ... never mind! eBay is going to change it so that buyers can only receive positives! Thanks, eBay!  :roll:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:36 pm 

There is of course nothing special at all about this auction of 3 Al Qadim books.  But the images in the auction reveal how great some of the Al Qadim stuff is.  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-D-D-Al-Qadim-A ... dZViewItem

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:42 pm 

red_bus wrote:There is of course nothing special at all about this auction of 3 Al Qadim books.  But the images in the auction reveal how great some of the Al Qadim stuff is.  :D

I got all the Al Qadim stuff but man I seriously need to read it.

I have so much stuff to read, but not the time for it all :(

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 pm 

red_bus wrote:There is of course nothing special at all about this auction of 3 Al Qadim books.  But the images in the auction reveal how great some of the Al Qadim stuff is.  :D

I've been meaning to pick up some of the Al Qadim stuff for a while now.

Any suggestions on which items to start with?  (The core setting book of course, but beyond that?)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:45 pm 

That is a remarkable amount of effort for a single auction listing!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 114123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 112113114