Lake Geneva
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:00 pm 

Howdy -

I'm in Chicago at the moment, and am heading up to Lake Geneva tomorrow for the day. Can anyone give me the addresses of the original TSR building(s) in town - I've a mind to swing past to check them out.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:21 pm 

I think the former Dungeon Hobby Shop was on Williams and Broad (723 Williams sounds right).  The Hotel Clair building is on Broad and Main.

That is all I can remember off the top of my head.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:00 am 

Never been there myself, but I found this guy's write-up of a trip to Lake Geneva incredibly informative:

http://hoodcity.livejournal.com/36940.html

Hope this helps.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:10 am 

mdr003 wrote:Howdy -

I'm in Chicago at the moment, and am heading up to Lake Geneva tomorrow for the day. Can anyone give me the addresses of the original TSR building(s) in town - I've a mind to swing past to check them out.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Watch out for the FBI on the highway.

Baby Face Nelson was finally brought to bay by two FBI agents who apparently spotted him passing the other direction on the road from Chicago to Lake Geneva.

All three...agents and outlaw...died in a roadside shootout.

I believe the FBI agents were headed toward Chicago and Nelson was on his way to Lake Geneva.

Spooky...eh?  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:Never been there myself, but I found this guy's write-up of a trip to Lake Geneva incredibly informative:

http://hoodcity.livejournal.com/36940.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link!

What a great narrative!  Only another gamer could understand the feelings of these two gamer pilgrims.  That was a really nice read.  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:06 am 

mdr003 wrote:I'm in Chicago at the moment, and am heading up to Lake Geneva tomorrow for the day. Can anyone give me the addresses of the original TSR building(s) in town - I've a mind to swing past to check them out.

Dragonsfoot has some threads with pictures and addresses of TSR-historical buidlings from the recent Lake Geneva Gaming Convention.

Search for "723 Williams" once you click on the following URL.  The building pictures and related text are in the middle of the first page.  Yeah, the title of the thread is . . . odd, but it's also the reason I could remember it.

. . . http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... sc&start=0

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 pm 

Also useful:

http://anthonylarme.tripod.com/dnd/dndtown.html

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:05 pm 

Thanks for all the info... I did some sightseeing, and took some photos.

I ended up having a great time. I'd gone up there to visit Tom Wham - I had asked Tom to do me a couple of Snit drawings a while back, and as I was coming over to Chicago this month, I asked if I could pick them up in person. Tom told me he went to a regular gaming afternoon at Ernie Gygax's place each Monday and invited me along, which turned out to be really fun.

One of the games we played was Dragon Lairds, a new game that should be making its debut at Gencon next month. I got to experience the prototype, with the Dragon Lairds cards stuck on the back of some old MtG cards. It's a great game - anyone headed to Gencon should pick up a copy.

I ended up third out of five - a respectable showing I thought. The other players on the day were Gary and his grandson, Michael.

After the gaming was over, I headed over to Tom's place for a beer, and he showed me his work area, and a few games he had in the process of being designed.

Tom really went out of his way to ensure I had a great time while I was up there, and Ernie was remarkably hospitable as well.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Last edited by mdr003 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:50 pm 

That's great to hear, Mike.  I didn't really get to visit with Tom at all while at Lake Geneva Con a few weeks ago, and wish I'd tried to make more time to visit, hang out, and get him to sign my SR and AGTFOS and King of the Tabletop, etc., etc.  

Perhaps I'll get to rectify that at GenCon :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/