WotC Kills the OCE!
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 pm 

megnelwil wrote:That's right Malc, I ain't worth bothering about. And yet here you are bothering.

Seeing as you care, I don't suppose you could cut me a slice of that 2.4% inflation you're enjoying? I'm thinking of buying a house, running a car, going to the dentist, paying my council tax... you get the idea?

But hey, what a great suggestion. I can always s*d off to another country and maybe you could wave a little flag as I departed?

It's people like you Malc...

yeah, in last 10 years clothes dropped 50% in real terms, food about 25%, electronic goods 70%

I guess youre too young to actually be able to compare stuff from the 70s and previous - or remember 15% inflation.

Luckily, I work for a living, and have always done so, and hence am better off now than ever.  

The Uk is now the land of opportunity!! Just ask over a million of our eastern european cousins who've arrived here in the last 2 years!

And by the way, I'd be happy and proud to wave a BIG Union Flag
(its not a union jack unless its on a ship!).

Cheers,
Malc

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:41 pm 

That's great Malc, I'm really happy for you.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:
And for all I've wrote, it's not like I think you are a shill or puppet of the Coug or anything.
Mike B.

just for the record guys. i can vouch for dan 100%. hes a great guy and does some very decent biz. he gets both thumbs up from me and its an absolute pleasure dealing with him.

plz cut him a "little" slack eh :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:06 pm 

lawrenson wrote:
yeah, in last 10 years clothes dropped 50% in real terms, food about 25%, electronic goods 70%

I guess youre too young to actually be able to compare stuff from the 70s and previous - or remember 15% inflation.

Luckily, I work for a living, and have always done so, and hence am better off now than ever.  

The Uk is now the land of opportunity!! Just ask over a million of our eastern european cousins who've arrived here in the last 2 years!

And by the way, I'd be happy and proud to wave a BIG Union Flag
(its not a union jack unless its on a ship!).

Cheers,
Malc

just to point fact, the UK is a country of opportunity in small doses. what happens is a concept will appear and will run for a little while until the bubble bursts, everyone flounders around for a little while then something else crops up.

one of the current ones is builders throwing up apartments all over the country and investors are snapping em up faster than you can say boo. suuuuuuuuure house prices are increasing faster than the cost of living and everything else. problem is, there is now too much supply against the demand. so where will it end? a crash of sorts?

other fact: in the next 10 years, 1st time buyers won't be able to afford a house/apartment/flat etc. ppl will be renting. that is also a fact.

the UK IS an expensive place to live.

the only lucky this is, is that the currency is reasonable strong in some places.
not against the euro countries anymore :)

anyway malc, what i am saying is that what danny is saying DOES have some substance, maybe a little stretched but there is something though in the point he is putting across.

another point. last saturday i got the bus to town as my car is being fixed. it was £1.10 to actually go 3 stops. i was that surprised i nearly got off the bus and walked (except it was raining). 2 years ago it was 68p to do the same trip. now THAT is a hike way higher than inflation or whatever.

oh and btw the interest rates are steadily rising too. they are twice what they were 3-4 years ago and i am thinking they will keep on doing that too. gonna be great for the property investors and others with mortgages too. gonna feel the pinch eventually? oooh you betcha :)

anyway i have things to do :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:16 pm 

Cheers Al,

Looks like this particular OCE is gone...

Anyone got one for sale? VF+

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:23 pm 

*Ignores UK economic argument*   PDT_Armataz_01_28

Gleemax is one of those decisions that comes from a brainstorming session when the boss has ordered the boys to come up with "something new."

For instance:  In the most recent Rolling Stone magazine, Rayban sunglasses floated the slogan Never Hide.  One can only hope that the irony wasn't unintentional.

Gleemax is clearly the result of a decision made by a commitee...and now everyone has to pretend it was a good idea rather than risk unemployment by telling the boss his new idea is not only bad, it is incredibly stupid.  After all, everyone agreed, right?

In fairness to the commitee members...because I assume at least one WOTC employee reads these forums...they may have been given parameters to work with that forced them to endorse a bad decision.  Sometimes, the only choice is the best among a set of bad options.

Gleemax is a decision roughly on a par with the decision to create 2nd edition AD&D or re-issue 3.0 as 3.5.  It is the New Coke of D&D.  It belongs on the shelf of profoundly stupid ideas that also holds the AMC Pacer, "Make Seven-Up Yours," and the XFL.

I actually hope I am wrong and Gleemax works.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Until then, there do not seem to be enough derisive adjectives to apply to this uber-ludicrous idea.  In fact, I think "Uber-Lu" is a better idea than Gleemax.  God! :x

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:24 pm 

Gleemax: for all your cleaning needs.

Gleemax: probably the best lager in the world

Gleemax: the new sound in cinema

Gleemax: the new media format

sheesh its awful man

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:30 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:Gleemax: for all your cleaning needs.

Gleemax: probably the best lager in the world

Gleemax: the new sound in cinema

Gleemax: the new media format

sheesh its awful man

Gleemax:  For that "private" itching...

Gleemax: When you want to give her that "extra ribbed" delight

Gleemax: You dog will thank you...with "puppy" love!

Gleemax: Coming direct to video in a Blockbuster near you...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:36 pm 

From the Gleemax website mail bag:

Vesavius asks "Is Gleemax the reason WotC have cancelled the Dungeon/ Dragon mags?"

No. First of all, we didn't actually cancel them. We chose not to renew the license that we had with Paizo and then we announced our intention to migrate that content online. The details of our plans for the future of those magazines in their new online form have not been announced yet, but I can tell you that our D&D plans were conceived of separately from our Gleemax plans. We then merged the two projects into one Wizards Digital Initiative, but I'm pretty sure we would have moved forward with our D&D plans even if we had never thought up this Gleemax idea. That said, I do think the future of D&D is even brighter now that it is going to be partially powered by Gleemax.

I'm sure I missed some good questions. Some of them were probably skipped on purpose because I'm not ready to answer them publicly yet while others were just missed. Feel free to post more questions in the forums - hopefully this article will help prove that I'm serious about leveling with you guys and letting you know what's actually going on.

Randy Buehler
Vice President, Digital Gaming

IF they really didn't cancel Dungeon and Dragon, then they must be putting out both magazines online in addition to the Gleemax gambit.

It strikes me that being coy and clever about announcing their new plans is not really a good strategy...given the level of anger in their established customer base.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:44 pm 

- Looks like this particular OCE is gone...

- Anyone got one for sale? VF+[/quote]

VF+ would be better than that set. overall and local aging and staining on box + light aging at edge of refsheets = likely exposed to humidity. box in VF ideally be whiter than refsheets = rare

plus side that box has good corners + no other visible damage. not bad but not VF+. percentiles = also plus

Last edited by Rakeesh sah Tarna on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:44 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Cheers Al,

Looks like this particular OCE is gone...

Anyone got one for sale? VF+

Thanks goodness the PDF has driven down the price...I'd hate to see what one of these would go for in an open market    8O

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:47 pm 

:) :) lost post by 30 second on previous page
waiting to laugh at final price Badmike :D :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 pm 

Looks like it's topping out at $264

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:50 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Looks like this particular OCE is gone...
- Anyone got one for sale? VF+

VF+ would be better than that set. overall and local aging and staining on box + light aging at edge of refsheets = likely exposed to humidity. box in VF ideally be whiter than refsheets = rare
plus side that box has good corners + no other visible damage. not bad but not VF+. percentiles = also plus
Image[/quote]

I think the argument about whether the PDF has "killed" the OCE has pretty much been decided...in favor of "HELL NO!!!!"

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:50 pm 

And before anyone says a damn word - I am NOT Bidder #6! Those items are waaaaay too clean and dry for my liking.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:51 pm 

- Looks like it's topping out at $264[/quote]
saved second bidder name just in case. anyone want to contact?? ;) ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:52 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Looks like this particular OCE is gone...
- Anyone got one for sale? VF+

Image[/quote]

That is a nice picture of the early dice sets...including the pink d20 I have referred to from time to time.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:53 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Thanks goodness the PDF has driven down the price...I'd hate to see what one of these would go for in an open market    8O

Mike B.

In related news..

BADMIKE BOOKS AND GAMES IS BUYING ALL OCES REGARDLESS OF CONDITION...$100 EACH...PLEASE CONTACT THE LUNATIC FRANTICALLY WAVING $100 BILLS IN THE PARKING LOT.....HURRY GET RID OF YOUR COPIES WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!  MAKE SOME MONEY BEFORE THE PDF KILLS IT FOREVER!!!!!     :D

$264.....Ye Gods....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext