WotC Kills the OCE!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:44 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Cheers Al,

Looks like this particular OCE is gone...

Anyone got one for sale? VF+

Thanks goodness the PDF has driven down the price...I'd hate to see what one of these would go for in an open market    8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:47 pm 

:) :) lost post by 30 second on previous page
waiting to laugh at final price Badmike :D :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 pm 

Looks like it's topping out at $264

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:50 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Looks like this particular OCE is gone...
- Anyone got one for sale? VF+

VF+ would be better than that set. overall and local aging and staining on box + light aging at edge of refsheets = likely exposed to humidity. box in VF ideally be whiter than refsheets = rare
plus side that box has good corners + no other visible damage. not bad but not VF+. percentiles = also plus
Image[/quote]

I think the argument about whether the PDF has "killed" the OCE has pretty much been decided...in favor of "HELL NO!!!!"

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:50 pm 

And before anyone says a damn word - I am NOT Bidder #6! Those items are waaaaay too clean and dry for my liking.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:51 pm 

- Looks like it's topping out at $264[/quote]
saved second bidder name just in case. anyone want to contact?? ;) ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:52 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Looks like this particular OCE is gone...
- Anyone got one for sale? VF+

VF+ would be better than that set. overall and local aging and staining on box + light aging at edge of refsheets = likely exposed to humidity. box in VF ideally be whiter than refsheets = rare
plus side that box has good corners + no other visible damage. not bad but not VF+. percentiles = also plus
Image[/quote]

That is a nice picture of the early dice sets...including the pink d20 I have referred to from time to time.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:53 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Thanks goodness the PDF has driven down the price...I'd hate to see what one of these would go for in an open market    8O

Mike B.

In related news..

BADMIKE BOOKS AND GAMES IS BUYING ALL OCES REGARDLESS OF CONDITION...$100 EACH...PLEASE CONTACT THE LUNATIC FRANTICALLY WAVING $100 BILLS IN THE PARKING LOT.....HURRY GET RID OF YOUR COPIES WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!  MAKE SOME MONEY BEFORE THE PDF KILLS IT FOREVER!!!!!     :D

$264.....Ye Gods....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:54 pm 

Now how does that price work in the grand scheme of things at Acaeum? Will it be averaged across several auctions? Rounded down? How will it affect the valuation charts?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:57 pm 

- Now how does that price work in the grand scheme of things at Acaeum? Will it be averaged across several auctions? Rounded down? How will it affect the valuation charts?
may have been ignored when oces were selling more than fourth prints and same again now. insanity usually in cycles + should burn out. i hope :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Rakeesh sah Tarna on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:01 pm 

- BADMIKE BOOKS AND GAMES IS BUYING ALL OCES REGARDLESS OF CONDITION...$100 EACH...PLEASE CONTACT THE LUNATIC FRANTICALLY WAVING $100 BILLS IN THE PARKING LOT.....HURRY GET RID OF YOUR COPIES WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!  MAKE SOME MONEY BEFORE THE PDF KILLS IT FOREVER!!!!!     :D
if anyone offered $100 for oce i have from from ernie gygax they would be welcome. think before saying anything silly like yes. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
p.s. no sig ;) ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:12 pm 

Keep your eye on this one...

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS BASIC SET 1980

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm 

- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS BASIC SET 1980[/quote]

lol. nice work on games workshop set ;) price list + percentiles not common. only missing optional dwarf flier

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Keep your eye on this one...

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS BASIC SET 1980

good ol empty box - some muppet will get that i just know it!

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:30 pm 

FormCritic wrote:*Ignores UK economic argument*   PDT_Armataz_01_28

Quite right too  :lol:

However I feel impelled to defend my adopted home city from the "Just to put £12 into context, it will buy you half a train ticket from Cambridge to London, or 2 miserable, watered down pints of beer once you get there, or 10 minutes stuck in a jam in a London black cab, or 2.5 soggy sandwiches if you feel peckish...." accusation. Particularly for the benefit of people here who have never been to London (and you all should, at least once  :D ).  

I live in the centre of town, and beer in almost every pub near me costs from £2.50 to £3.50 a pint.  Two of my locals will carry at least three guest ales (from small local breweries from all over the country), changing weekly (sometimes daily), many of which are delicious.  Sandwiches and taxi journeys here are also better in quality and price too!  London is busy, crowded, sometimes dirty and brusque.  But it is also great fun, and it can be a bargain too - once you know where to look.

(waves patriotic London banner enthusiastically)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:54 pm 

Red, I've got nothing against London as a city, spent most of my adult life working in it, it's the UK economy that get's me going. All those prices I quoted are from real, personal experience. I wonder can you get decent ale in Covent Garden any more, don't know, but I know the last time I shelled for a round of three in what used to be a typical pub but is now some poncey themed food and larger joint, it set me back £14.40. Talk about choking on your pint. Not your typical pub, of course, but 15 notes still walked. The point being, I'd rather stay at home and read a soggy book for £12 and keep the change. But like you said, enough already.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:58 pm 

That is a nice picture of the early dice sets...including the pink d20 I have referred to from time to time.

Anythiing special about the pink D20? I've got a few hanging around somewhere but they're all played to death.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:53 am 

I drink in Covent garden every Friday. Beer averages about £3 per pint at the selection of pubs I go to.

I do feel sorry for those who didn't get on the housing ladder when it was affordable - BUT the last 30 years is practically the only time in the the whole of the UKs history when it was possible for an "ordinary" person to own their own home.
People have always rented from landlords, or saved up and bought a house outright when they retired. When my father-in-law bought a house in the 1960s with a mortage (a new invention then) everyone told him how stupid he was.

Anyways, to bring it back to the original argument, I think smeggy is just incredibly naive, which is probably why he loves coug.

Cheers,
Malc

PreviousNext