Protocol for returning things on ebay
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:56 pm 

Hey hey all :-)

Just a quick question really, I've never returned anything to a seller before but the seller has agreed in this case for me to return the books to him & to refund my money. What's the protocol in this situation, I ask for the money before I post them back or post them first?

(I thought they were hardbacks & all they are is glued in, the description did mention paperback editions, but not that they were simply the paperbacks glued...)

Thanks  :-)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:18 pm 

I've been burned doing this, course not for to much money.
I'd suggest signature confirmation on the package being sent back. More then likely you'll have to send them back before getting refund, but you can always try talking to the seller and finding out if he'd refund money before doing so.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:53 pm 

I don't think I have ever successfully done this either.  It usually ends up that the buyer has to pay shipping or at least return shipping making the refund pretty small.  But typically, sellers will only refund after receiving the item back in the shape it was initially shipped.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:50 pm 

First, I'd have demanded my money back, and then kept the items (not that I'd "steal" them, but offer that I should be allowed to keep them.) That has been my experience with eBay in regards to "returns." It is far safer for the seller to just let you have the items... after all, you paid for them, and they are already sent, and maintains good will for the transaction then being stiffed one way or the other. But, if you are going to return the stuff, definitely send signed confirmation that the seller received them, and try to have some sort of line of evidence that proves there was an offer for a refund, because he might just stiff you again. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:55 pm 

I think it depends on the situation. I just won a MERP module that was not in quite the condition described, which would be tolerable, but it was also the wrong printing after I SPECIFICALLY asked him what printing, giving him the exact criteria to look for. In this case, if I end up returning it I expect to be reimbursed 100%. If I had not been specific, I would not ask for more than the auction price, minus eGay and Gaypal fees.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:26 pm 

If you go by the letter of eBay. You must return the item in the same condition received, before the seller is required to refund any monies owed. You are responsible for the return shipping and the seller is not required to refund the original shipping ether.

Now if the item falls into the "significantly not as described" category, you can file a claim and if eBay agrees you should be able to get all of your original purchase price back and maybe even the return shipping.

Your best bet is to go to the eBay "Answer Center" and ask this question there. Give item number and the reason for requesting the return and the various eBay members who supply the answers will give you some very good advice.

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 pm 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:Now if the item falls into the "significantly not as described" category, you can file a claim and if eBay agrees you should be able to get all of your original purchase price back and maybe even the return shipping.

I think having Ebay decide this is very unlikely to result in a full refund with shipping.  I don't think you would likely get very much at all.  They would probably decide something like, the item is devaluated by 10% or something like that.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 pm 

I recently had to return an item won on an ebay auction.  I utilized the seller's own return policy-send the item back at my cost and they refund the high bid amount (minus the shipping amount I had paid).

So I first filed a dispute with Paypal.  I stated via Paypal what I was doing and thus I had "proof" of my intentions to return the item and take the seller's return policy.  Then I sent the item back with delivery confirmation.

The seller was obviously not pleased someone actually used their return policy.  They took forever to answer my emails, sent me a Paypal payment for the refund (which stuck me with a fee) instead of using the refund option, and then left me negative feedback.  The funny part is that their negative was the first I have ever received on ebay since I've been a member since 1999.  It makes them look 100% worse when you look at my other feedback than if they had just left a neutral or nothing at all.

Anyways, my point is that you may want to start up an official Paypal/ebay dispute before you return the item.  If all goes well, you can just close the dispute.  Use tracking for your package and you should have enough coverage incase they try to pull something on you.

Ben.S.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:55 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think having Ebay decide this is very unlikely to result in a full refund with shipping.  I don't think you would likely get very much at all.  They would probably decide something like, the item is devaluated by 10% or something like that.

Mars

They don't work that way. They either agree or disagree.

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:58 pm 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:They don't work that way. They either agree or disagree.

Really?  Its either a 100% or nothing?  Do they still take their $25 cut as well?  In that case I would think your chances of getting anything from Ebay is much worse.

Just to clarify, do you mean Significantly Not As Described through Ebay or Paypal or are they the same thing now?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:24 pm 

Finding details on Ebay's website always gives me a headache.  In this case at least it looks like everything has been worked out among the buyer and seller.  But my general sense is that if either Paypal or Ebay need to make a decision, 99.99% of the time, they will be in favour of the seller.