Good or Bad thought
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 am 

Ok, if this is a bad idea, feel free to smack me around... but it's a thought I had.

I know many modules that are rare will not be owned by many who would never spend that type of money...

So, would anyone who does not own say a Palace of the Vampire Queen be willing to spend $25-$50 on a limited raffle ticket to win a copy ???

I was thinking I could make up 16-32 raffle tickets and take payments for same... then raffle off the copy I have so someone who would not normally own a copy could get one...

I'd have someone review the copy I have to place a proper value on it... not the $840.00 I paid for it (in other words, no more than $800 max). [yes the total auction was $961.00, but I also got 4 more Mono mods I can sell for $120.00 so I only paid $840.00 for the PotVQ]... I'd let BadMike or KingofPain or others in the area here be part of the drawing process for fairness etc.

Just don't know if anyone would be interested, and I'd prefer that those that did NOT own a copy participate at the chance. Would require at least enough people to cover the agreed upon value of the module. More people, cheaper tickets.

Ok, now flame me or not.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:57 am 

Nice idea, but the problem would be if you didn't get $800 worth of tickets. You'd still have to raffle it off.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:18 am 

I think $50 a ticket would be a hard sell - I don't think I would buy one at that price.  $25 would be tempting but you would need to sell a lot more tickets and I think you would have a hard time selling 32 of them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:07 am 

My problem with it is simple: If I'm spending money, I want something for the money. All the raffles I have ever done have involved some sort of "loser prize" so the people paying don't feel ripped if they don't get the "big item" which I am quite sure I wouldn't (I have never won a raffle, ever) which is kind of important in some states as it can be considered gambling (and illegal *) if nothing is awarded those who didn't win.

*I'm not saying it is, but simply stating what I have always been told when trying to set up my own.

Other than that, I might spend $25 for it, but $50 is too much for me to spend and not get anything for... I don't just drop "that" amount for nothing. Sorry.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:43 pm 

Over here in the UK, a raffle is synonymous with raising money for good causes - think church fetes and community fundraising.  I would be tempted if you gave the profits to a charity.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:43 pm 

I'd also be tempted...if the ticket cost under $800 and there was only one ticket.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:51 pm 

Hiya. How cold is it there Stephen?

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:54 pm 

Hey Steven,

It's 77F here today...course I'm back in civilization now.   :D

Heading back north next month, though.  The coldest I slept through on the last trip was -6C.  Not too bad, though with a whipping wind coming down off the Ice it was a bit uncomfortable!

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:02 pm 

Although it is technically the opposite direction, p'raps worth taking along H P Lovecraft's, At the Mountains of Madness, next time.  For some fire-side reading when the wind picks up...

Let's go fly a kite

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:10 pm 

Out of the Box thought, but has a lot of potential to go wrong.

While you probably mean well, that type of scenario is super-ripe for scamming.

After the people send in money, how do they know that there's a legit drawing, or that the raffler even has such an item?
The raffler could just pocket the cash, put up a picture of their buddy holding the item or a package with an address (that never gets sent to the fictional addressee) or whatnot and say "there's the winner - sorry to the rest of you!"  Even if another forum member were to say "I won and I received it", there's no way to know they're being honest and not working it together.

(Come to mention it, I'm kind of surprised CougarRetard hasn't thought of this yet.  Does Ebay have rules against selling raffle tickets?)

I'm not sure how you'd ever be able to have definitive verification of the fairness of such a thing.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:37 pm 

There you go.  You see, when I talk about a price I might be willing to pay I mean less than $20.  So a raffle ticket for $25 wouldn't be much of a draw.  

I would look to pick up a copy for $10 or less.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:20 pm 

mordrin wrote:After the people send in money, how do they know that there's a legit drawing, or that the raffler even has such an item?

Thus the reason I mentioned having others from the forums involved in the process... since I am in Texas... BadMike, KingofPain and maybe a few others could be involved for the drawing so others can know it's done fair

As far as eBay allowing selling "raffle tickets"... probably not... it would have to be a side thing I guess...

I am thinking I can do it another way, but not for a few months anyway...

Maybe if the project to get some type of PotVQ updated reprint in the works turns out, then I can put all the names of those that buy a reprint into a hat and draw for an original copy... then every one who spends money still gets something, just a chance for something else...

Like I said, it was a thought to allow those that would never spend $800.00 on an item a chance to own one...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:37 pm 

- Maybe if the project to get some type of PotVQ updated reprint in the works turns out, then I can put all the names of those that buy a reprint into a hat and draw for an original copy... then every one who spends money still gets something, just a chance for something else...
interesting option if could sell >100 copies maybe??

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:22 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:Thus the reason I mentioned having others from the forums involved in the process... since I am in Texas... BadMike, KingofPain and maybe a few others could be involved for the drawing so others can know it's done fair

Another option would be using the a pseudo-random number generator like a stock market, stock prices, lottery numbers, etc.  That way the "draw" is publicly verifiable.  Of course, assigning tickets to the pool of random numbers is more complex and subject to flaws.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:22 pm 

You could have people guess at the number of Republican votes next election and give it to whoever comes closest. Wait, that's too easy, everone would guess zero. And be right.
Unfortunately Sock, I don't really see a way to do it that would encourage people to spend more than maybe $10, even if you asked a forum member to proxy it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:05 pm 

cash to most ppl is hard to come by anyway and it doesnt appeal to me i have to say.

just ebay it, i will whack a nice bid on it anyway :)

Al

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:33 am 

I think it is a good idea and nice of you to think of those budding collectors who can't really fork out the bucks. I'd be happy to buy a ticket, but I would be peeved if one of the big re-sellers who already has three copies wins!!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:05 am 

killjoy32 wrote:cash to most ppl is hard to come by anyway and it doesnt appeal to me i have to say.

just ebay it, i will whack a nice bid on it anyway :)

Al

Too late...

** expired eBay auction **

:P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:39 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:Ok, if this is a bad idea, feel free to smack me around... but it's a thought I had.

Smack!  I'd buy a ticket, because the odds of me ever getting such a module otherwise are minimal.  But you're just playing with fire, honestly.

YIM