Monster Manual II 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Players Handbook 22%       22%  [ 30 ]
Unearthed Arcana 9%       9%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 139

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:37 pm 

I broke down and voted for the DMG, as it best represents that which is 1E.  Why?  Take a look at page 192, gentlemen.  

Any book detailed enough to provide a subtable for the type of harlot you might encounter has got to be the clear winner.  You definitely won't find this sort of thing in later editions.  But if you can't tell a "saucy tart" from a "wanton wench", what's the point in playing?  :lol:

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:52 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:But if you can't tell a "saucy tart" from a "wanton wench", what's the point in playing?  :lol:

Hear! Hear!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I broke down and voted for the DMG, as it best represents that which is 1E.  Why?  Take a look at page 192, gentlemen.  

Any book detailed enough to provide a subtable for the type of harlot you might encounter has got to be the clear winner.  You definitely won't find this sort of thing in later editions.  But if you can't tell a "saucy tart" from a "wanton wench", what's the point in playing?  :lol:

That is indeed a good point, I'd like to change my vote from the PHB to the DMG then.  But, heck, I love them both.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:02 pm 

DMG iconic cover, it's got the lot ... fabulous

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 am 

Hmmm, i'm not sure... I'm rather partial to Skills and Powers actually, I like the point buy system and all the other bits and pieces included in it. Sure it's complecated but I sorta enjoy that... you end up with rather interesting characters that way. Combined with the add on for planars in one of the dragon magazines, you end up with a nicely balanced planescape game, because i'm sorry.. you can't run planescape with just combat stats.

The MM is rather nice too.. I HATE a lot of the 3.5 artwork (what the HELL is with the Erinys? did the artist actually READ the description? as an artist myself I find the treatment of the fiends in the new addition to be disgraceful, most of the creatures don't even match their descriptions anymore.. and why the hell are vrocks purple!??? )
Yeah ok a lot of the AD&D art isn't well.. that good.. but Tony D's stuff is always pretty and at least the simplified almost comicy style of a lot of the creatures matches the written description.. unlike todays junk.

I also have a bit of a soft spot for the arms and equipment guide.. all those pretty pretty weapons.. and the chapter on medieval garb.. it's just cool... random but cool. An invaluable artistic reference book too.. and i'm all for the art reference.

as for worst.. hmm.. yeah i'd have to agree with the dungeon and wilderness survival guides.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:12 am 

I think I'd vote for the Fiend Folio as the worst of the 1E manuals.

I haven't looked at my (only) copy for a while, but I seem to recall that there were very few usable monsters.  My memory may be a bit hazy, but they seemed to be either minor variations on already defined monsters, or some type of undead that died in a slightly different fashion or looked a bit different (I mean, how many types of zombie or skeleton do you need?).

I even got more usable information from the Dungeoneer's and Wilderness Survival Guides, and they were only marginally helpful.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 am 

Artur wrote:I think I'd vote for the Fiend Folio as the worst of the 1E manuals.

I didnt think it was really that bad.  The monsters weren't always as easily usable as the ones in the original MM or even the MM2 but those publications had their share of crap creatures as well.  How often did anyone use the Wolf-In-Sheep's Clothing or Tarrasque outside of the modules they were presented in?

Maybe it was just me but the monsters in the Fiend Folio were so much more frightening that anything in the Monster Manuals.  I'm sure everyone remembers the Penanggalan?  Scary enough in the book but then I find out it is an part of Malaysian folklore and not some made up beastie.  Apparently parents tell unruly children stories about them to scare them into being good since the Penanggalan likes the blood of children the most.  PDT_Armataz_01_23   Glad my parents never told me stories like that.  I would still be in therapy.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:31 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:Hmmm, i'm not sure... I'm rather partial to Skills and Powers...I also have a bit of a soft spot for the arms and equipment guide.

And that, folks, is the quintessential difference between 1E and 2E.  The 2E "core" books were only half-decent references, and were easily eclipsed by several of the later materials (I quite like "Monster Mythology" and the "Vikings" campaign sourcebook, myself.)  The 1E "core" books were true classics beyond compare.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 pm 

For me it's a toss up between the Player's HB and the DMG.  Mr. Gygax did it right.  He understands what role-playing is all about.  I've read the core books for 2nd and 3rd edition and they just don't compare.  What's neat about the Gygax books is there is always something to be learned each time you read it.  For example, I ran across a table of random dungeon noises...how cool is that?  It's kind of sad to pick up the 3rd edition rules and see what the game degenerated to.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:27 pm 

Dungeon Master's Guide as it contains the essentials of conducting the game, yet, the player's handbook is second by a transparent sheath with its in-depth spell and psionics descriptions and, third again, by a transparent sheath, is the monster manual when ideas ran out to make new creatures

they're all necessary to an adventure

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:04 pm 

For me its the DMG, although I do have a soft spot for Unearthed Aracana!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:09 pm 

DMG all the way - everytime I pick it up I read something new! (I don't think I've ever actually sat and read it cover to cover, i just read the bits that I needed at the time- mainly combat charts and magic item tables :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:05 am 

DMG best!!

UA worst :(

Just my opinion is all :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:13 am 

Blackmoor wrote:DMG best!!

UA worst :(

Sounds like Tarzan would speak when describing D&D books! :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:22 pm 

In the "Favorite OD&D Supplement" poll, I had guessed that 90 votes would be needed for a statistically significant sampling based on total membership of The Acaeum.  However, there are probably a couple of hundred registered members who are not active and probably another couple of hundred who don't give a rat's arse.

So, after re-thinking the math, I think 56 votes is probably enough to declare the DMG the winner in this poll.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:32 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Thoughts?

It's not statistically significant until the book I voted for comes in first! :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:04 pm 

g026r wrote:It's not statistically significant until the book I voted for comes in first! :lol:

No, that's the Aleena versus Morgan poll on Dragonsfoot.   :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:24 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:So, after re-thinking the math, I think 56 votes is probably enough to declare the DMG the winner in this poll.

Thoughts?

More than enough, that's a pretty strong response around here.  If only I could get a quarter that number on the chat on Friday night!  :)

YIM  
PreviousNext