Keith the Thief wrote:
From this list -- setting sentiment aside -- I would choose:

White Plume Mountain
Tomb of Horrors
G1
G2
G3
The Village of Hommlet

I bought the Caverns of Thracia last year and read it for the first time.  It seemed solid enough from what I recall.

Once I own a copy of A4 again (In the Dungeons of the Slavelords), I'd like to re-assess it against my own criteria.

A4 is a good example of a "railroad" that works, because to set up a SPECIFIC situation, you have to start the party at a very structured point (i.e, basically nude with no weapons or spells).  The module simply doesn't work if the party is powered up with all their goodies.  I enjoyed it because it took characters out of the box, forced them to actually ROLE PLAY (I.E, no magic items or goodies to define their characters), yet use their brains to think their way out of certain situations (any party going into A4 guns blazing will be dead very, very quickly).  .  It managed to sweep away a lot of the generic stereotypes that were present in dungeon crawls at the time, and was ultimately very exciting and suspenseful.  My characters remember the original time I ran it to this day! I would say it rates very highly on my "subjective" criteria table for what makes a good adventure, and "objectively" is one of the better constructed classic adventures in both plot, objective, and tone.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Obviously we are not going to agree in the slightest on this issue, no matter the opinions expressed.  I'm going to go forward with "Some modules are definitely better written than others" while you'll stand by "Every module is the best module ever made in someone's mind and we should respect that preference."  Neither is right or wrong, to ourselves, but at this point there IS no point in commenting on our positions to each other any further.... :)

Mike B.

Sorry if I think telling someone that their opinion is wrong is assanine.  I have no problems what-so-ever hearing what people prefrences are and why they feel that way.   The, "I am an authority on this stuff, so therefore my opinion is somehow more meaningful than your opinion" BS  that pisses me off.  Like somehow someone was appointed to be the end all be all to the discussion.  Seems to me that my argument is quite the contrary.  I like hearing what people like and why they like it as opposed to me saying what I like is best and that everyone else's opinion if they disagree with me is wrong.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:10 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Well..this thread got stupid in a hurry.  Sorry, that's an opinion, not a fact.   :roll:

I guess I am wrong again.  :roll:   I seem to be on a real losing streak here.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:42 pm 

I'd be interested in hearing how others of the older generation here first heard about the G-series.  

G1 is the only adventure I can think of that generated a near-mythos among the gamers I hung out with.  Its reputation for good battle and great treasure swept through gzmers in our school the way the storyline of the adventure swept through the characters embedded in it.

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:55 pm 

My friend's uncle kept telling us about this great series of modules we had to play once we were of the appropriate levels. Eventually he ran G1 for us and we narrowly escaped with our lives or some of us did be we really enjoyed it. I should mention he was a fantastic dm with an arts degree in theatre though. He made everything fun.

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:24 pm 

Badmike wrote:
if Ed Greenwood was independently publishing "Undermountain: The Lowest Levels" and it was exactly the dimensions of the Castle Whiterock set, I would be there the first day to buy one. I guess I'm just an old schooler at heart... :wink:

Mike B.

Me too!

(trying not to get into the rest of the thread, which has gotten to be almost as bad as that POS G1 :lol:. For the G's its all sentimentallity for me, loved playing them, loved DMing them and love the fact that you can read the whole of G1 in a single visit to the smallest room in the house :D  :D  8O )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:12 pm 

bombadil wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how others of the older generation here first heard about the G-series.  

G1 is the only adventure I can think of that generated a near-mythos among the gamers I hung out with.  Its reputation for good battle and great treasure swept through gzmers in our school the way the storyline of the adventure swept through the characters embedded in it.

It was early in high school, probably the spring of 79 if memory serves, and I remember mail ordering it from TSR.  There were two basic groups of D&D players at Huntsville High at that point.  My own group and another group who were a couple of years older than we.  Our group heard about the G1 from the older group.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 am 

We stole the G series, along with the D series and Q1. Well, my brother did, actually. He was a phenomenal shoplifter. We couldn't come close to affording more than one module at best.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:15 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:We stole the G series, along with the D series and Q1. Well, my brother did, actually. He was a phenomenal shoplifter. We couldn't come close to affording more than one module at best.

So you're the ones responsible for the death of the FLGS - shame on you (or you (much) younger selves)(J/K)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:17 am 

bombadil wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how others of the older generation here first heard about the G-series.  

back in the day, i didnt see G1 G2 or G3 individually. When i was buying Q1, one of the lads bought the G1-3 compilation, and one of the other guys got the D1-3 compilation too.

thats how we got ours and then played the whole lot one after the other.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:50 am 

Did anyone here play the G-series at the tourney or con where they were introduced?  I can't remember which convention it was...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:57 am 

bombadil wrote:Did anyone here play the G-series at the tourney or con where they were introduced?  I can't remember which convention it was...

There's a nice writeup of the con where the G-series was first run in an early issue of the Dragon....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:40 am 

Oooooo, sounds like a good read!  Do you remember which one it was?

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:10 am 

bombadil wrote:Oooooo, sounds like a good read!  Do you remember which one it was?

Dragon #19 - "The Battle for Snurres Hall - the Origins '78 D&D Tournament"

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:04 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:We stole the G series, along with the D series and Q1. Well, my brother did, actually. He was a phenomenal shoplifter. We couldn't come close to affording more than one module at best.

So, we have you bastards to thank for inflating the collecting price of these modules?!?!?

8O

just kidding.  My sister lives down in Lowell, I keep telling her she should move to New Hampsha and join the Free State Project.

WWW ICQ  
PreviousNext