The Giant Series
Dark Tower
Caverns of Thracia
Tegel Manor
Treasure Hunt
Isle of Dread
Isle of the Ape
Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
Frank Mentzer's R-Series (I forget all the names of them, individually)

(Probably more I'm forgetting, but I'm tired.)

From this list -- setting sentiment aside -- I would choose:

White Plume Mountain
Tomb of Horrors
G1
G2
G3
The Village of Hommlet

I bought the Caverns of Thracia last year and read it for the first time.  It seemed solid enough from what I recall.

Once I own a copy of A4 again (In the Dungeons of the Slavelords), I'd like to re-assess it against my own criteria.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:56 pm 

Well..this thread got stupid in a hurry.  Sorry, that's an opinion, not a fact.   :roll:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:57 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
You are still missing the point.  Even if the College Professor would think I was crazy for saying so, that doesn't make it any less of his own opinion versus mine own opinion.   Both are firmly rooted in one's own personal preferences and are not rooted in facts.  If you want to say that a guy writes with a much greater vocabualry or writes with a more complex storyline, those are measurable things that can be compared.  However, that still does not make one better than the other in everyone's opinions.  Some people prefer to be able to understand what they are reading without having a dictionary nearby too look up all the words that they don't understand, while others may prefer less complex storylines, but it all boils down to a matter of personal preference and none of what ones personal likes and dislikes are, are rooted in facts.

Obviously we are not going to agree in the slightest on this issue, no matter the opinions expressed.  I'm going to go forward with "Some modules are definitely better written than others" while you'll stand by "Every module is the best module ever made in someone's mind and we should respect that preference."  Neither is right or wrong, to ourselves, but at this point there IS no point in commenting on our positions to each other any further.... :)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:59 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:The fact that most such modules are priced even lower still than the rate of inflation is indicative of how hard hit the people in the industry are today, and why writers and editors in the game industry get paid a tenth or less of the rate they would writing novels or in other literary endeavors...

This I can speak of from experience, you don't get paid much for freelance writing. But if you can look beyond that, its always great to see something you did write get in print :)

Curious what you got Mark for your adventure in Dungeon Magazine #6.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:04 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Off Topic: When asked who the best fantasy writer was, Harlan Ellison replied Dr. Seuss.  I don't think he was joking.

Also Off Topic: I'm an Alabama football fan.  Thus, I'm cracked.  And it is very difficult to assess my favorite team without resorting to sentimentality: Alabama is among the elite college football programs historically but is currently an average program.  However, Alabama's fortunes could (cough, cough will) change.

On topic: A dungeon module like G1 isn't going to change.  Only our perception of it changes.

For me, railroading was not a bad thing.  In fact, it helped because I had a group of players who took chaotic alignment to heart.   When I  found a tournament module back in the day, I welcomed the chance to drop it into my world since it helped me maintain better control over the situation.   I preferred to home-brew my dungeons, but it was a hell of a lot of effort to tailor them for my devious and unruly players.  Hell, maybe that means I just wasn't a good DM.

The one thing I could always count on, though, was getting their attention with a good intellectual trick or trap.

Railroading is another interesting and sometimes misunderstood concept.  In a sense, EVERY module is "railroading", except maybe some existentialist writing, in that we are put into a situation given specific parameters and expected to discover a solution or come to a certain goal.  Personally, I don't WANT to hand my players a map of a continent and say "Wheverever you guys want to go, whatever you want to do, go for it!".  I do like a little structure. Mostly, I enjoy setting up certain situations, with many different approaches or definiations of "victory" (including running away!), and seeing how they knock it down or break it even.  I think the best written modules give us this approach, rather than the linear Room 1 through Room 100 type advancement. Although, under the right circumstances, a linerally advanced module might be fun to run on occasion..I just don't personally perfer them, and neither do many old school gamers.
 Like you Keith I sometimes liked just dropping a fully formed dungeon into my campaign to give me a rest at writing...sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. The more difficult they were to shoehorn into my expectations, and my party, IMO showed the inflexibility of some of the material.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:29 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:

Please, please, PLEASE stop judging the prices of modern game products on the prices we paid back in the day. Unless you stopped getting raises 20 years ago yourself, it just doesn't make any sense... That 32-page $6 module you bought 25 years ago should be $14.15 retail just based on inflation alone, let alone the higher costs of better production values, the much much higher cost of paper, a much smaller market (ergo much smaller print runs) and other factors. The fact that most such modules are priced even lower still than the rate of inflation is indicative of how hard hit the people in the industry are today, and why writers and editors in the game industry get paid a tenth or less of the rate they would writing novels or in other literary endeavors...

Except EVERYONE is ALWAYS going to make value judgements based on this.  Anyone complain about gas prices? Why?  It's still a huge, huge value when compared to the rate of inflation...I was paying $1 a gallon 25 years ago, I'm only paying $3 a gallon now? What a bargain!  Yet I'm going to bitch just like everyone else....I'm a bit of a miser though... I won't pay $100 to see a modern sporting event because I don't feel like blowing $100 on three hours of entertainment, so I'm probably not in the norm...most kids are blowing $100 a week on whatever kids blow money on now, so to them it's probably not much of a sacrifice.

The test will be if the value in the product is sustained. If I can run an adventuring party for two years through Castle Whiterock with little or no personal input (as I did with ruins of Undermountain), then it's worth $100.  I know products nowadays have to have "flash" to sell, but personally I don't need every room and encounter fleshed out, and every map colored, and every stat block detailed ( I bet one of the 128 page books is devoted just to stat blocks...)  Personally, since I don't run 3rd edition games, and have plenty of gaming material, I am curious about CAstle Whiterock but don't have a need for it.  If I was running a 3rd ed campaign, I'd probably run out and buy it the first day it was on the shelf...

The print run quantities make a lot of sense, and I'll give you that.  It made sense for Necromancer to charge $75 for Rappan Athuk reloaded, when they were only printing 1000 of them, and it's truly a very nice looking product with lots of gaming goodies inside.  If Castle Whiterock is that quality and quantity, it will be a  great deal even at 100 smackers.  

To put it in perspective though, if Ed Greenwood was independently publishing "Undermountain: The Lowest Levels" and it was exactly the dimensions of the Castle Whiterock set, I would be there the first day to buy one. I guess I'm just an old schooler at heart... :wink:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:35 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
From this list -- setting sentiment aside -- I would choose:

White Plume Mountain
Tomb of Horrors
G1
G2
G3
The Village of Hommlet

I bought the Caverns of Thracia last year and read it for the first time.  It seemed solid enough from what I recall.

Once I own a copy of A4 again (In the Dungeons of the Slavelords), I'd like to re-assess it against my own criteria.

A4 is a good example of a "railroad" that works, because to set up a SPECIFIC situation, you have to start the party at a very structured point (i.e, basically nude with no weapons or spells).  The module simply doesn't work if the party is powered up with all their goodies.  I enjoyed it because it took characters out of the box, forced them to actually ROLE PLAY (I.E, no magic items or goodies to define their characters), yet use their brains to think their way out of certain situations (any party going into A4 guns blazing will be dead very, very quickly).  .  It managed to sweep away a lot of the generic stereotypes that were present in dungeon crawls at the time, and was ultimately very exciting and suspenseful.  My characters remember the original time I ran it to this day! I would say it rates very highly on my "subjective" criteria table for what makes a good adventure, and "objectively" is one of the better constructed classic adventures in both plot, objective, and tone.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Obviously we are not going to agree in the slightest on this issue, no matter the opinions expressed.  I'm going to go forward with "Some modules are definitely better written than others" while you'll stand by "Every module is the best module ever made in someone's mind and we should respect that preference."  Neither is right or wrong, to ourselves, but at this point there IS no point in commenting on our positions to each other any further.... :)

Mike B.

Sorry if I think telling someone that their opinion is wrong is assanine.  I have no problems what-so-ever hearing what people prefrences are and why they feel that way.   The, "I am an authority on this stuff, so therefore my opinion is somehow more meaningful than your opinion" BS  that pisses me off.  Like somehow someone was appointed to be the end all be all to the discussion.  Seems to me that my argument is quite the contrary.  I like hearing what people like and why they like it as opposed to me saying what I like is best and that everyone else's opinion if they disagree with me is wrong.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:10 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Well..this thread got stupid in a hurry.  Sorry, that's an opinion, not a fact.   :roll:

I guess I am wrong again.  :roll:   I seem to be on a real losing streak here.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:42 pm 

I'd be interested in hearing how others of the older generation here first heard about the G-series.  

G1 is the only adventure I can think of that generated a near-mythos among the gamers I hung out with.  Its reputation for good battle and great treasure swept through gzmers in our school the way the storyline of the adventure swept through the characters embedded in it.

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:55 pm 

My friend's uncle kept telling us about this great series of modules we had to play once we were of the appropriate levels. Eventually he ran G1 for us and we narrowly escaped with our lives or some of us did be we really enjoyed it. I should mention he was a fantastic dm with an arts degree in theatre though. He made everything fun.

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:24 pm 

Badmike wrote:
if Ed Greenwood was independently publishing "Undermountain: The Lowest Levels" and it was exactly the dimensions of the Castle Whiterock set, I would be there the first day to buy one. I guess I'm just an old schooler at heart... :wink:

Mike B.

Me too!

(trying not to get into the rest of the thread, which has gotten to be almost as bad as that POS G1 :lol:. For the G's its all sentimentallity for me, loved playing them, loved DMing them and love the fact that you can read the whole of G1 in a single visit to the smallest room in the house :D  :D  8O )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:12 pm 

bombadil wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how others of the older generation here first heard about the G-series.  

G1 is the only adventure I can think of that generated a near-mythos among the gamers I hung out with.  Its reputation for good battle and great treasure swept through gzmers in our school the way the storyline of the adventure swept through the characters embedded in it.

It was early in high school, probably the spring of 79 if memory serves, and I remember mail ordering it from TSR.  There were two basic groups of D&D players at Huntsville High at that point.  My own group and another group who were a couple of years older than we.  Our group heard about the G1 from the older group.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 am 

We stole the G series, along with the D series and Q1. Well, my brother did, actually. He was a phenomenal shoplifter. We couldn't come close to affording more than one module at best.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:15 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:We stole the G series, along with the D series and Q1. Well, my brother did, actually. He was a phenomenal shoplifter. We couldn't come close to affording more than one module at best.

So you're the ones responsible for the death of the FLGS - shame on you (or you (much) younger selves)(J/K)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:17 am 

bombadil wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how others of the older generation here first heard about the G-series.  

back in the day, i didnt see G1 G2 or G3 individually. When i was buying Q1, one of the lads bought the G1-3 compilation, and one of the other guys got the D1-3 compilation too.

thats how we got ours and then played the whole lot one after the other.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:50 am 

Did anyone here play the G-series at the tourney or con where they were introduced?  I can't remember which convention it was...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:57 am 

bombadil wrote:Did anyone here play the G-series at the tourney or con where they were introduced?  I can't remember which convention it was...

There's a nice writeup of the con where the G-series was first run in an early issue of the Dragon....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext