Your Searching Tools
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:04 am 

Because I seem to be less than special at locating stuff, and then feeling like a total twit when I end up paying more for an item that is easy to find (for someone else) because it has eluded me, I ask you for what you use to find stuff. Not the search strings, or specific methods... just websites, resources, and the like. eBay is nice but I don't visit it everyday (if I did, I'd be bankrupt ) but there has to be other things. Are there very good online stores (yeah, pimp yourself, I don't mind -- and I do know of NKG) or other utilities? Thanks.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:18 am 

Hi,

don't get upset about it. Largely, its just gaining knowledge. Experience counts.

I still mistakes, and sometimes pay a bit over the odds, even after collecting for a loooooong time.

On Ebay, if theres something you want, set yourself a budget, and then STICK TO IT  :D   If you think you tend to overvalue stuff, then knock $5 off your budget! 9 times out of 10 there will be another of the same item along next week, so just be patient.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:19 am 

I use ebay, but fairly often i try mispellings or vuage descriptions of things like "Planescape" often becomes "planetscape" or "planes scape" and suchforth. Heck, I got the game for cheep because it was being sold under the simple title or "torment" rather than "planescape:torment". Huzzah, given it usually sells for about 30 bucks in it's original box.

Rpg and hobby shops with a second hand section are good too. Before Travelling man stopped stocking second hand things I managed to pick up the Complete necromancer for about £4 and Harbinger house for £2! sold that one on for about 7 which was a nice little profit. Complete necro however, i'm keeping, it's shiny and interesting.

SO yeah, second hand shops or people who don't know what they're listing on ebay... sometimes things show up in charity stores too but it's rare... mostly video games and cds (I also collect radiohead and blur memerobillia you see)

Good luck, the key to bargain hunting is perserverance.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am 

The Classifieds here work pretty well.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:21 am 

I've had good experiences buying from other Acaeum members.  

Check out the "Private Sales and Sellers" thread in the "Collecting General" forum to get a feel for transactions among members.

Good luck ...

Keith

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 am 

serleran wrote:Because I seem to be less than special at locating stuff, and then feeling like a total twit when I end up paying more for an item that is easy to find (for someone else) because it has eluded me, I ask you for what you use to find stuff. Not the search strings, or specific methods... just websites, resources, and the like. eBay is nice but I don't visit it everyday (if I did, I'd be bankrupt ) but there has to be other things. Are there very good online stores (yeah, pimp yourself, I don't mind -- and I do know of NKG) or other utilities? Thanks.

Deadlord's tag line is probably something I think about almost everyday when I get caught up in the  bidding for items..."There's always another one". I've been on Ebay nearly 10 years, and yes, EVERYTHING except unique items will be seen again, often for much cheaper prices. Most times prices are cyclical, and the next time around, you can get it for a fraction of the cost.  Here are a few little tips:

1.  As mentioned in another thread, one of our illustrious members has a Sword & Spells that has gone up to $139 through the efforts of two idiots.  Meanwhile, myself and Troll & Toad (T&T!!!!) have one in our stores at under $40.  While Ebay store items are often more expensive, not as often they will be somewhat underpriced.  A few years ago, I was randomly looking for Dungeon mags, and I found a guys store (buried deep in multiple listings of dealers with Dungeon mags) who had almost a complete set priced $2-$5 apiece, I managed to pick up a set of 1-50 or so very reasonably price, good combined shipping terms, and when they got here they were in beautiful shape.  If you are looking for a particular item don't forget to sweep the ebay stores on ocassion.

2.  This is so very, very important: Assign a price to an item you want, and stick to it.  Don't let another moron dictate how much you are going to pay....besides, with the "hidden bidder" policy now in place, you are never 100% sure it's not a shill with the sole purpose of pushing your bid up.  Chances are, eventually it's going to come up for the price you want.   If not (over several months), bump the price up $5 to $10 (you've obviously valued it too low).  I've pretty much never paid over what I valued the item to begin with...if I'm outbid, so be it.

3.  Check NKGames every once in awhile....they are not always able to price the items according to "true value", they are a giant online store and miss an item every once in awhile.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:59 pm 

All of the serious eBay trollers use AuctionSieve... a utility developed by a member here, incidentally.  It is a marvelous -- and free! -- piece of software.

http://www.auctionsieve.com

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:20 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:All of the serious eBay trollers use AuctionSieve... a utility developed by a member here, incidentally.  It is a marvelous -- and free! -- piece of software.

I was wondering if people actually use this software?  I downloaded it and tried it once but there was something about it I didn't like.  Although I can't remember what that was now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 pm 

Mars wrote:
I was wondering if people actually use this software?  I downloaded it and tried it once but there was something about it I didn't like.  Although I can't remember what that was now.

It's been updated several times - damn good piece of software.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 pm 

Very cool. Thanks FoulFoot. I hope it works well for me.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:25 pm 

jkason wrote:
It's been updated several times - damn good piece of software.

I should probably take a look at it again.  For someone who is getting a PhD in computer science, I am very low tech.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:37 pm 

Mars wrote:
I should probably take a look at it again.  For someone who is getting a PhD in computer science, I am very low tech.

How low tech - on the Traveller 1-15 scale? :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.