Why Do You Collect RPG's?
Poll: Why do you collect RPG's?  What is your main reason for buying all these paper, cardboard and lead treasures?

As an investment 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
As a re-seller 4%       4%  [ 4 ]
As an active gamer 19%       19%  [ 17 ]
For nostalgic and sentimental reasons 54%       54%  [ 49 ]
For historical and preservation purposes 9%       9%  [ 8 ]
For the pure joy of collecting something 11%       11%  [ 10 ]
For another reason not listed here 2%       2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 91

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:38 pm 

What kind of RPG collector are you?  What is your main reason for collecting in the role-playing genre?

Do you collect as an investment?

Do you collect because you are a re-seller?

Do you collect because you are an active gamer?

Do you collect for nostalgic and sentimental reasons?

Do you collect for historical and preservation purposes?

Do you collect for the pure joy of collecting something?

Do you have other reasons not listed here?

Most people are likely to have more than one reason to collect.  This poll question is about your main reason for collecting.

The question is significant because it will affect your answers to a number of questions related to collecting, such as pdf's, condition issues, shipping, ebay policies, feeback, noteworthy auctions, rare publications, different editions of Dungeons and Dragons, etc...

Most likely, you will have complex motives.  If you would, after responding to the poll, please tell us why you answered the way you did.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:49 pm 

Mainly, I collect for nostalgic and sentimental reasons.  As I wrote in another thread, my collection basically started with my dad's things, and I collect to kind of keep the tradition going.

In addition, though, I'm an active gamer, an avid reader, and I like the idea of preserving some aspect of the gaming hobby through my own personal collection.  Add to that it's just downright fun and you've got a pretty good recipe for a great time. :)

- Michael

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:52 pm 

I have to say that my reasons are a mix of many of the above. I view roleplaying as a wonderful tradition, something I want to pass to my children, and through that, it is an investment, of sorts... something that will always have value, and, theoretically, even monetarily if the time comes when I have no option but to ditch my collection (which I've had to do before, which is why I find it very hard to justify selling off my stuff, even when I have duplicates and whatever... I just don't like the idea personally.) I am also an avid gamer, playing anything I can get my hands on; I will try any game at least twice -- once as a player and once as a "master," to see how the game works. There are also many games I have found to be the cornerstones of certain life events, like the first time I roleplayed with my fiancee, or when I met Gary Gygax and he knew who I was, or the first book my baby bought me (D&D OCE) and others, like wanting to get the game I played throughout high school and had the best of times doing (Shadowrun 1e.) Beyond that, I think the concept is amazing, the effot, the play, the sheer variety of people attracted to gaming... its astounding to me, and I want to understand it, and I think that by seeing as much of the possibilities as I can, by collecting as many games as I can, that I'll get some insight into others, myself, and have an awesome time doing it!

But, my major reason: avid gamer. I own a lot of game systems and every day I find out about more. Sure, they are often similar, but I always find something to use to make my experience better.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:09 am 

nostalgic and sentimental reasons for me

Also because maybe I am a bit strange :lol:

Iremember when I purchases my 1st print woody.  It cost over $4000.00.  There was an immediate uproar over on Dragonsfoot about what a nutbar I was; comments about my sanity, feed the world issues came up and other ridiculous statements.  After I posted on the Dragonsfoot forum and told them why I bought the item (Nostalgia etc) the folk's actually changed there tune and became more sympathetic to my reasons.

We are a very small group of collectors; the hobby we enjoy returns us to our time of magic and mayhem.  It's a great hobby and right now it is still within the realms of attainable to get a complete collection.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:24 am 

Nostalgia, primarily.

I sometimes wish I could go back in time with all of the detail I know about Mediaeval arms and armour to improve those aspects of the various games that were released (D&D, TFT, etc. etc.) and maybe some tips on streamlining the various designs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:30 am 

I'm an active gamer and I mainly collect Planescape books. Anyway, since I come from from Italy almost every OD&D or AD&D 1st edition supplement has something valuable for me in terms of gaming ideas and concepts (since they've never been printed here and most Italian gamers think that the very first edition of the rules was the D&D Set Rules 1 back in 1986...).
I'm also somewhat younger than the average member here, so I think that some year shall pass (and some collection shall be sold and re-acquired) before nostalgic collecting takes his hold on me.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:00 am 

well, the official reply is of course the sentimental reasons...

the true (and hidden) reason is that i am ill: i have an ossessive compulsive push and therefore i need to have everything... all... it is a must, i must conquer the world!  PDT_Armataz_01_36

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:53 am 

I would have to say nostalgic as well. I remember twnety years after last playing findng my old modules and thinking: "man, that was some of the most fun I ever had." I read them all again cover to cover and really enjoyed reading them....... and then ...... discovered Ebay.

Then it is like, oh wow --there's a module I wanted to buy twenty years ago ... SOLD. Then it got out of hand.

I do hope one day to start gaming again. It is a lot of fun and fires the imagination - just a few more years until the kids are old enough.

(edit) Just thinking we should organise Nostalgiacon 2008. For those yearning to play again after many years. Bring along the kids!"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 am 

Nostalgia for now and the near-future.

For the long-term, I'd like to have a collection that reflects D&D's history.

I also enjoy collecting things in general, especially small, shiny objects.   :wink:

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:56 am 

Investment ? Sure, a little, hopefully the items don't lose value, but not the safest investment at all...

Re-seller ? actually not until recently, but now I am buying and reselling some items, or buying to complete something I am missing to then resel it complete

Active gamer ? Active, but in the computer world these days (Neverwinter Nights)

Nostalgic/Sentimental ? yes, and most of my stuff was mine

Historical/Preservation ? primary

Pure Joy ? I have been called a pack rat.... so maybe

I had to select preservation since it seems most everything I collect is to save a part of history.

My main collection is of old BBS Door source code, it's all "digital" and people don't seem to maintain copies of floppies, source code etc like they should. So I spend the time/money to do so.

D&D stuff is just another thing I am involved in and thus I collect (heck I have coins, stamps, baseball/football cards, comics, shiny things, cars, guns... just old stuff)

I enjoyed playing D&D for many years, funnest time was teaching a group of 6 other Marines how to play and watching them run around like kids acting out the fights.

Much of the D&D stuff I have was mine from way back.. it's in really crap condition at best, but it was mine and thus I keep it.

I buy some stuff I never had to at least look it over and know what it's all about, then eventually sell it off and let someone else have it for a while.

But like BBS Door source code, I can see there are some items that might need a bit more "attention" and thus my interest in bringing some (not all) modules and/or books to digital form or possibly reprint... which brings me back to preservation.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:09 am 

Like most of the responses so far, I am primarily motivated by nostalgia to recover the items I had when I was a kid.  Also, I enjoy buying and reading through all the cool stuff I remember seeing back then but couldn't afford at the time.  And then, there is the almost-secret hope that I'll eventually find a group and get to actually use all this stuff.   :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:26 am 

Hi Nice Hantlers,

It's good to see someone else from Huntsville here.

Keith

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:33 am 

One option the poll lacked was "no frickin' clue." :D  If I think about it too much, I might stop, so I don't.  

I do enjoy a good mystery, though, so part of it for me is those rare occasions where I learn something completely new (and obscure, preferably...not as much fun if everyone else knows it already.)

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:36 am 

FormCritic wrote:Do you collect because you are an active gamer?

I would very much like to be an active gamer again, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards, as it were, for another year or two.  

I hope to introduce my kids and my 3 nephews to the game (my guess is that it's going to be D&D or C&C) sometime in the next year or two.

So, in addition to sentimental reasons, and having my own collection of D&D history, I will also begin advidly collecting material related to whichever game system we chose to play with the kids.

I also want my kids/nephews to know that I have a collection that is -- at the very least -- valuable to another collector.

Keith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 am 

serleran wrote: Beyond that, I think the concept is amazing, the effot, the play, the sheer variety of people attracted to gaming...

This is a good segue into another reason why this hobby fascinates me so much: the psychology.

Beyond the obvious common denominator of D&D itself, I've noticed that the members here are intelligent and well-educated, and yet also down-to-earth and fairly easy-going.  

For example, it's been noted several times that PDFs of OOP material are going to be made, it's just a matter of "when" and whether they're made legally.

I'm generalizing of course, but the members here seem inclined to understand the "big picture" and both sides of arguments (usually).

Probably more than you wanted to read (if you read it), but that's the other thing that comes to mind about my interest in collecting.

Keith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:54 am 

It's good to see someone else from Huntsville here.

Thanks, Keith.  Considering Huntsville's high geeks-per-capita ratio, I'm surprised there aren't more.   :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:49 pm 

I collect mainly for nostalgia.

I can still remember the first time I opened my Basic D&D set, and saving up to buy my own AD&D Player's Handbook, both around 1980.  That began years of the most fun I have ever had; puzzle-solving, dungeon crawling, monster fighting, pizza and salsa consuming good times.

Some day, I may start playing again. But every time I open my Basic rulebook, PHB, Monster Manual, DMG, or even Deities and Demigods those sweet memories come flooding back.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:27 pm 

It's a combination of nostalgia and the joy of collecting for me. Finding a box of D&D stuff in the dumpster in almost perfect condition was a big boost... no, it was THE impetus to start me collecting. I searched online for a list of all the modules and supplements TSR put out and that's how I found the Acaeum.

I also collect other things: comics, but only titles I really enjoy reading; concert recordings (Bittorrent is my friend!); and recently I started getting back into collecting bootleg albums from the '70s, which is another nostalgia trip for me.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Next