PDFs of modules and magazines...
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:27 pm 

Mars wrote:
What I would like to see is a compilation reprint of all the Wee Warriors modules with some history about the company, maybe some new sketches by Morno, original covers to their products, Wee Warriors product list, etc.  Something like that I would happily pay $100 for and it would be less likely to be copied into a pdf, etc - or even offer a pdf of it for sale as well.

Great idea about the compilation. I would also buy that.

To be honest, I checked out the B3 pdf to see the banned images.  :wink:

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:34 pm 

Any re-issue of the Wee Warriors publications would not be complete without Morno as the artist.

In order to be of value to me, the Morno cover art would have to be integral to the revised publications.

Since Morno, who is a member here, has taken on a new identity and become a much different artist, he is unlikely to want to re-create his old work.  I am sure, however, that he would not mind seeing his old work in print again on the covers of Wee Warriors products.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:19 pm 

Ok, Peter won't be able to get back to me until at least Monday (busy schedule).

As soon as I know more, I'll let you know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:47 pm 

The product that I envision is an intro with company history, maybe a brief discussion about PotVQ, DG, MI and a look at their other products, some printing of the original PotVQ, DG, MI, and then a section that maybe fleshes out various parts of the original modules.

Personally, I would like to see the original form of the modules but if someone wants to update them with descriptions for use, I think that could easily be put into a different section.

My stake in this is that I do not own any of these items but would purchase an affordable copy.  My big problem with pdfs is that they are like the dog crap of the internet.  Some people are responsible and do what is right others do not.  The harm is generally mininal and very few ever get caught or charged but it is definitely an annoyance.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:15 pm 

Yes Mars, that is what I was thinking about... some history, maybe the old module printed inside along with the new updated version ...

How about a little PotVQ trivia...

Guess how many copies of PotVQ Peter threw away when he moved about 30 years ago ?

And when he moved again just a fews years ago, guess what he thew away ?

I'll post answers later...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:54 pm 

I see no reason why they couldn't be published as a compilation.
Realistically, PDF's won't detract from value, for the reasons stated. No one wold spend $250 for a DG just to see whether it was useable, they'd get it for the intrinsic value. People who would by PDF's would probably actally USE them.
However, PDF's of LOW value material, such as DMG's and common modules, shold never be allowed.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:17 am 

In speaking with Peter, he mentioned that long ago (almost 30 years) when he first moved.. he threw away between 500-600 copies of PotVQ !!!

And, in recent years when he moved again, he still had the ORIGINAL printing "plates" (I don't remember what they are called for offset printing)  for the module... and threw them out during that move !!!

Valuable stuff just being tossed out....

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:23 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:In speaking with Peter, he mentioned that long ago (almost 30 years) when he first moved.. he threw away between 500-600 copies of PotVQ !!!

And, in recent years when he moved again, he still had the ORIGINAL printing "plates" (I don't remember what they are called for offset printing)  for the module... and threw them out during that move !!!

Well, on one hand, if he HADNT thrown them out, then the remaining copies would be worth far less now.....
 But, on the other hand, if I could use a time machine to wisk myself to that dumpster the day it happened....and only sold a couple a year...Cha-Ching!!!!
   Hey, back in those days, who know this stuff was going to be worth anything? I sure didn't, otherwise I wouldn't have extrensively wrote in and defaced my copy of GDQ1-7 while running it in the late 80s....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:23 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:In speaking with Peter, he mentioned that long ago (almost 30 years) when he first moved.. he threw away between 500-600 copies of PotVQ !!!

Well, on one hand, if he HADNT thrown them out, then the remaining copies would be worth far less now.....
 But, on the other hand, if I could use a time machine to wisk myself to that dumpster the day it happened....and only sold a couple a year...Cha-Ching!!!!
   Hey, back in those days, who know this stuff was going to be worth anything? I sure didn't, otherwise I wouldn't have extrensively wrote in and defaced my copy of GDQ1-7 while running it in the late 80s....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:24 am 

hoody frickin hoo!!

I reckon though that having half a thousand more copies available would devalue it more than a pdf!!

This is exactly the sort of history/background that I'd like to see in an updated reprint/compilation.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:24 am 

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:15 pm 

I had never heard of Wee Warriors until I read about them on Mattias Bock's Afterglow webpage.

I never saw a Wee Warriors product on the shelf and would not remember them now if I weren't a part of this forum.

I have often thought it would be cool to have mutant powers similar to Patrick Stewart's character in the X-Men movies. (Can't recall the character's name, but I bet lots of comic readers are saying it right now.)

Anyway, instead of being able to detect mutants I want the power to know when and where any gamer is preparing to toss all of his old stuff into either a dumpster, donation box or yard sale stack...possibly also the power to psychically warn any gamer whose mother, sibling or other well-meaning person is tossing away his old swag.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:18 am 

Ok, got some more info from Peter, he sent me some of his history more than anything, but it's a start... he seems to be all over the place :)

I'll give more details later, but let me summarize:

Peter is in the digital design business now days

He hasn't kept in touch with Judy since they divorced in the mid 80's

Last he heard of Brad, he was in software development...

He started printing Wee Warriors stuff right haver he got out of the service, and about 18 months later, he got into Real Estate. At the same time he go t interested in computers and sold some programs and ran a play my mail service. These new interests are why he closed up shop. He stayed with Real Estate until '81, then got into the "ecomputer" stuff in the Valley for about 10 years until he got burned out... then he got into production of resin items for Geohex and Armor cast.. then back into computers with his current wife. They setup some computer training schools which they ran until about 3 years ago when they moved....

His last bit of of the email is:

"Today the computer art I do holds my interest. If you ever want to see some I can email you some samples.  I work with total realistic art so my people have some real personality."

I sent him off some additional questions about Wee Warriors, the modules and some other stuff... if you can think of any questions you think we need to know, please let me know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:11 am 

I would be interested in some of the printing info, such as number of copies of each printing printed, cost to have them printed?  How well did they sell?  What was their arrangement with TSR to sell their products?  How did it come about?  What happened to end their arrangement?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:02 pm 

There was a thread about him some time ago when he sold his items. I believe he claimed at one point he was selling out of the trunk of his car.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:28 pm 

Try:

viewtopic.php?p=34926

and/or

viewtopic.php?p=37703

Relevant posts are part way down each page & continuing on in the thread.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:06 pm 

Well, I called Brad this afternoon...

I spoke to him for a very short length of time... I don't get the nice friendly feel like speaking with Pete.

Don't get me wrong, he was polite, but was short in his answers and to the point.

I basically asked if he would be willing to create any type artwork for a reprint.

Basically he said "I don't do anything that looks like that any more", and he said he was not interested.

So, Brad won't be participating, at least not at the moment...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:01 pm 

Did Brad give his consent to having the items reprinted?

PreviousNext