PDFs of modules and magazines...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:30 pm 

Apparently this is a concern for Brian and possibly others.  I dont see how his argument is irrelevant.  What I do see is you posting something that is designed to do one thing and one thing only...provoke a negative response.  And you wonder why so many people on this forum think you are an asshat.  

You misunderstood the argument Brian sought to make.

Under the assumption that prices would fall, Brian's argument is this:

"If you favor the 'reprints', your opinions lose credibility because you don't have a financial stake in the outcome. You are, in a sense, spending someone else's money."

My point was simply that everyone has a stake, because even those who don't own a copy are forced to pay higher prices due to the non-availability of reissues.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:34 pm 

Funny how you contradict your own argument that you posted for me in the exact same post and if you can't see that you did you are even dumber that I thought you were.  Seriously, don't you have something better to do that troll this forum again.  I must have missed the thread on here were people were lamenting your absence and while you are out there digging for proof of an "inflated market" that doesn't exist, perhaps you can point that out to me as well.  

Polite, tactful, and diplomatic as ever.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:37 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

Under the assumption that prices would fall, Brian's argument is this:

"If you favor the 'reprints', your opinions lose credibility because you don't have a financial stake in the outcome. You are, in a sense, spending someone else's money."

My point was simply that everyone has a stake, because even those who don't own a copy are forced to pay higher prices due to the non-availability of reissues.

Please don't speak for me, as not only am I more than capable of doing so for myself, you are also yet again 100% wrong.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:43 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Polite, tactful, and diplomatic as ever.

You act suprised by my response to your trolling post.  Funny you always keep getting the same reaction from almost everyone to the crap you post and yet you still claim that you haven't figured out why yet.   :roll:

Seriously, Cougar is really obviously short on friends and since you have been so sympathetic to his plight here in the past, why not email him or something and you guys can like chat or something. I mean its got to be better than coming back here and trying to hijack this thread with your nonsense in yet another lame attempt to piss people off.  If you must run your mouth, you'd be much better served talking to someone who is on your own level, right?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:56 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

'Fraid not.  I understand precisely what Brian was trying to say.  I don't really want to get into this crap and take the post any more off topic than it already is but if anyone's posts around here are irrelevant I can say with some certainty that they are yours.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Please don't speak for me, as not only am I more than capable of doing so for myself, you are also yet again 100% wrong.

Fair enough. However, there was an impression that only people who have bought the things stand to lose, not those that want to or plan on buying them.

My post sought to correct that impression. I apologize if you found that wholly offensive.

Related posts:

bclarkie wrote:I would very surprised however if you invested $1,000 in one and still felt the same way or even if you came into one by accident cheaply and still felt that way, as then you would actually have something to lose in this. As I noted before, its always easier spending and losing someone else's money than it is your own. It's easy to write off someone else's loss as you don't have to live with it.

bclarkie wrote:Its easy for you to tell Jeff(both of them) or Alan or David or Paul or Bill or any of the other 1st print PotVQ owners out there, sorry about your $1000 there, but it was in my own best interests that this seeing the light of day, because I don't own it and some others out there don't either because its a curiosity. I guess when its not your $1000 or whatever it means a lot less

bclarkie wrote:Again though its extremely easy to say, "Hell yeah I'd take one for free or for $5 when it normally costs over $1,000!", especially when you don;t already own it. I think the people who don't have one neglect to look at it from that standpoint.

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 pm 

'Fraid not.  I understand precisely what Brian was trying to say.  I don't really want to get into this crap and take the post any more off topic than it already is but if anyone's posts around here are irrelevant I can say with some certainty that they are yours.

To think a thread might go off-topic for a couple posts. The nerve!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:09 pm 

You act suprised by my response to your trolling post.  Funny you always keep getting the same reaction from almost everyone to the crap you post and yet you still claim that you haven't figured out why yet.   

Seriously, Cougar is really obviously short on friends and since you have been so sympathetic to his plight here in the past, why not email him or something and you guys can like chat or something. I mean its got to be better than coming back here and trying to hijack this thread with your nonsense in yet another lame attempt to piss people off.  If you must run your mouth, you'd be much better served talking to someone who is on your own level, right?

I think my remarks suggest a distinct lack of surprise!

But it appears you need material to run your acid tongue at me. The irony that you seemed so concerned about hijacking lol.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:20 pm 

If you guys want to continue to attack each other, at least try to keep it entertaining.  You're starting to repeat your insults, and the viewers demand new material!  :lol:

Bad on topic...sort of.

I think that reprints in general a bad idea, rare or otherwise.  It adds confusion to the marketplace.  (I didn't like it when they put the reprints of the mono mods in the Silver Anniversary set, and they're hardly rare...it just makes it confusing to keep things straight.)

Re-releases seems to be the way to go to minimize the chance of adversely affecting the collectible market and/or assisting counterfeitors.  New material isn't required, but might be nice.  It can't really be that difficult to look at an original PotVQ and type it all back in.  (And that's perfectly legal if the copyright owner authorized it.)   ;)

While I'd like to see it happen, I personally I hope it doesn't become a "collectible" release, as the previous PPP modules undoubtedly were.  (No limited runs of Runic Copies, or signed copies, or whatever.)  The reason being, the whole point of this endeavour is to get the module into the public's hands.  If you want a rare collectible, I say go after the real thing. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:31 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:While I'd like to see it happen, I personally I hope it doesn't become a "collectible" release, as the previous PPP modules undoubtedly were.  (No limited runs of Runic Copies, or signed copies, or whatever.)  The reason being, the whole point of this endeavour is to get the module into the public's hands.  If you want a rare collectible, I say go after the real thing. ;)

I don't see any reason that you can't do both.  I thought the different editions of Bottle City were a great idea.  I thought the limited edition price was a bit high so I decided to go with the standard.  Either way you get the whole of the adventure...one is just different than the other.  One way or the other, any person that wants the module can get a hold of it.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:59 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I don't see any reason that you can't do both.  I thought the different editions of Bottle City were a great idea.  I thought the limited edition price was a bit high so I decided to go with the standard.  Either way you get the whole of the adventure...one is just different than the other.  One way or the other, any person that wants the module can get a hold of it.

Well, you can...I just don't think you should.  Unlike those others, this one's already an established collectible.  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:06 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Fair enough. However, there was an impression that only people who have bought the things stand to lose, not those that want to or plan on buying them.

Actually that is correct.  If you can explain to me how people who have nothing invested in them currently have something to lose, I AM ALL EARS.  That said, I never even alluded to the fact that those who have nothing to lose should not have a say in the matter, thats the part that you made up.

Let me asking you something since you seem to be of the opinion that its okay for those who have money to lose on this regardless of their reasons for thier purchases, whether it was for investment or just desire to have the item(s) at any cost.  Here goes:

Do you own any motor vehicles i.e Car, Pickup-up Truck, Motorcycle, etc? (A simple yes or no is all that I want)

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:27 pm 

Mars wrote:
What I would like to see is a compilation reprint of all the Wee Warriors modules with some history about the company, maybe some new sketches by Morno, original covers to their products, Wee Warriors product list, etc.  Something like that I would happily pay $100 for and it would be less likely to be copied into a pdf, etc - or even offer a pdf of it for sale as well.

Great idea about the compilation. I would also buy that.

To be honest, I checked out the B3 pdf to see the banned images.  :wink:

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:34 pm 

Any re-issue of the Wee Warriors publications would not be complete without Morno as the artist.

In order to be of value to me, the Morno cover art would have to be integral to the revised publications.

Since Morno, who is a member here, has taken on a new identity and become a much different artist, he is unlikely to want to re-create his old work.  I am sure, however, that he would not mind seeing his old work in print again on the covers of Wee Warriors products.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:19 pm 

Ok, Peter won't be able to get back to me until at least Monday (busy schedule).

As soon as I know more, I'll let you know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:47 pm 

The product that I envision is an intro with company history, maybe a brief discussion about PotVQ, DG, MI and a look at their other products, some printing of the original PotVQ, DG, MI, and then a section that maybe fleshes out various parts of the original modules.

Personally, I would like to see the original form of the modules but if someone wants to update them with descriptions for use, I think that could easily be put into a different section.

My stake in this is that I do not own any of these items but would purchase an affordable copy.  My big problem with pdfs is that they are like the dog crap of the internet.  Some people are responsible and do what is right others do not.  The harm is generally mininal and very few ever get caught or charged but it is definitely an annoyance.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:15 pm 

Yes Mars, that is what I was thinking about... some history, maybe the old module printed inside along with the new updated version ...

How about a little PotVQ trivia...

Guess how many copies of PotVQ Peter threw away when he moved about 30 years ago ?

And when he moved again just a fews years ago, guess what he thew away ?

I'll post answers later...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:54 pm 

I see no reason why they couldn't be published as a compilation.
Realistically, PDF's won't detract from value, for the reasons stated. No one wold spend $250 for a DG just to see whether it was useable, they'd get it for the intrinsic value. People who would by PDF's would probably actally USE them.
However, PDF's of LOW value material, such as DMG's and common modules, shold never be allowed.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

PreviousNext