PDFs of modules and magazines...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:29 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I'd do both, if possible, to thoroughly eliminate easy counterfeiting.  Alternatively, if you're just interested in letting people get the content and aren't too concerned about nostalgia -- why not create an entirely reformatted and different printing?  ;)

Best idea yet!!  Not scans but a re-release.  It will preserve the collectable price of the original and introduce a new bunch to the actual content.

I would volunteer my services to such a project.  I ahave actually already started adapting POTVQ to my present campaign. :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:38 am 

I actually like the ideas presented to re-release..

I have presented a possible set of options to Peter and hope he is open to the idea... I know he may not have the time to spend on any such project, but I think there are a few here that would be willing to "flesh out" the old modules and other stuff so Peter just has to "approve" the work.

I think Peter would at least get us some history on how and why the modules came about, maybe even a storyline to work with etc. it's important he is on board and anyone else that was part of the original.

I hope to know more over the next week to see if it's even really possible.

I think some how the exact original could be included with a re-release, as in it would be reprinted inside the re-release thus in totally different font, paging etc and would give many a comparison without actually letting a quality scanned copy of the original out to the masses ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:16 am 

Wow! The same old issues come out every time the PDF subject is run through. I suppose it has to be gone through every year for all the newbies to ask the same old questions and air their views.

Despite my absence from the forum over the past nine months, I still lurk (although the sudden scarpering of the wife has curtailed my eBay habit somewhat). I may even have to sell up some of my collection.

I have almost everything on Afterglow2.com in PDF form now. There are a few gaps, mostly among the uniques and the mundane $2 a book stuff that I haven't got the time to scan. But my collection is largely complete, and I'm now collecting permissions to publish electronically.

I have PoVQ 1st and 3rd, DG 2nd, and MI in PDF, but in my opinion, a redrafting would be a much more prudent release, something along the lines of the PPP mods we've all invested so heavily in.

So, Allan/Rob... If Peter is up for republishing two of the most well known rares of all time (although hardley the best of quality), maybe PPP could approach and publish?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:42 am 

As I noted before, its always easier spending and losing someone else's money than it is your own.  It's easy to write off someone else's loss as you don't have to live with it.

This is not a valid argument. After all, aren't other people who are against reprints or pdfs causing us to lose money by artificially keeping prices high? The argument can work both ways and so is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Personally, I think that if a PDF of these came out, I would probably buy them and then not worry about getting an original copy. I'm curious to look them over but not for $500+ each. I do often wonder how long these items can retain the values that they are currently at. With the Wee Warriors stuff, I think there are a few hardcore collectors that really keep this market afloat. Same thing goes for the nonTSR market as well. A half dozen people keeping the prices up.

I agree. I think the affect on price will remain to be seen. But I have to say that a pdf of many of these old modules (potvq), or reprints of the more modern ones (OB3, ST1), would certainly satiate my demand for these items.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:48 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:This is not a valid argument. After all, aren't other people who are against reprints or pdfs causing us to lose money by artificially keeping prices high? The argument can work both ways and so is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Ahh, your friendly neighborhood resident economist troll comes crawling out from underneath his bridge to participate in this discussion. :roll:   Thanks for invalidating my argument, I am sure that you are correct as always believe that you are.  :roll:   I am begging you to prove that some how the market is artificially inflated and if it is overly inflated how exactly that is causing someone who doesn't own one to lose money. Please show me with something other than you not so bright know-it-all opinion and please provide proof as your assesment of my argument may be the most assanine thing that I have read in a long time.  Seriously, do you even read what the hell you write???

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I agree. I think the affect on price will remain to be seen. But I have to say that a pdf of many of these old modules (potvq), or reprints of the more modern ones (OB3, ST1), would certainly satiate my demand for these items.

Funny how you contradict your own argument that you posted for me in the exact same post and if you can't see that you did you are even dumber that I thought you were.  Seriously, don't you have something better to do that troll this forum again.  I must have missed the thread on here were people were lamenting your absence and while you are out there digging for proof of an "inflated market" that doesn't exist, perhaps you can point that out to me as well.  

You know I hear danteisevil and Cougarrinard are both short on friends, why don't you go post on their boards.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:58 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:This is not a valid argument. After all, aren't other people who are against reprints or pdfs causing us to lose money by artificially keeping prices high? The argument can work both ways and so is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Why is this not a valid argument and why is it irrelevant to the discussion?  If you read the first post you will notice the following discussion topics:

What I am interested in, is what do people think about this ?
Is there good or bad reason for trying to make this happen ?
Are there concerns people have?

Apparently this is a concern for Brian and possibly others.  I dont see how his argument is irrelevant.  What I do see is you posting something that is designed to do one thing and one thing only...provoke a negative response.  And you wonder why so many people on this forum think you are an asshat.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:30 pm 

Apparently this is a concern for Brian and possibly others.  I dont see how his argument is irrelevant.  What I do see is you posting something that is designed to do one thing and one thing only...provoke a negative response.  And you wonder why so many people on this forum think you are an asshat.  

You misunderstood the argument Brian sought to make.

Under the assumption that prices would fall, Brian's argument is this:

"If you favor the 'reprints', your opinions lose credibility because you don't have a financial stake in the outcome. You are, in a sense, spending someone else's money."

My point was simply that everyone has a stake, because even those who don't own a copy are forced to pay higher prices due to the non-availability of reissues.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:34 pm 

Funny how you contradict your own argument that you posted for me in the exact same post and if you can't see that you did you are even dumber that I thought you were.  Seriously, don't you have something better to do that troll this forum again.  I must have missed the thread on here were people were lamenting your absence and while you are out there digging for proof of an "inflated market" that doesn't exist, perhaps you can point that out to me as well.  

Polite, tactful, and diplomatic as ever.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:37 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

Under the assumption that prices would fall, Brian's argument is this:

"If you favor the 'reprints', your opinions lose credibility because you don't have a financial stake in the outcome. You are, in a sense, spending someone else's money."

My point was simply that everyone has a stake, because even those who don't own a copy are forced to pay higher prices due to the non-availability of reissues.

Please don't speak for me, as not only am I more than capable of doing so for myself, you are also yet again 100% wrong.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:43 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Polite, tactful, and diplomatic as ever.

You act suprised by my response to your trolling post.  Funny you always keep getting the same reaction from almost everyone to the crap you post and yet you still claim that you haven't figured out why yet.   :roll:

Seriously, Cougar is really obviously short on friends and since you have been so sympathetic to his plight here in the past, why not email him or something and you guys can like chat or something. I mean its got to be better than coming back here and trying to hijack this thread with your nonsense in yet another lame attempt to piss people off.  If you must run your mouth, you'd be much better served talking to someone who is on your own level, right?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:56 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

'Fraid not.  I understand precisely what Brian was trying to say.  I don't really want to get into this crap and take the post any more off topic than it already is but if anyone's posts around here are irrelevant I can say with some certainty that they are yours.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Please don't speak for me, as not only am I more than capable of doing so for myself, you are also yet again 100% wrong.

Fair enough. However, there was an impression that only people who have bought the things stand to lose, not those that want to or plan on buying them.

My post sought to correct that impression. I apologize if you found that wholly offensive.

Related posts:

bclarkie wrote:I would very surprised however if you invested $1,000 in one and still felt the same way or even if you came into one by accident cheaply and still felt that way, as then you would actually have something to lose in this. As I noted before, its always easier spending and losing someone else's money than it is your own. It's easy to write off someone else's loss as you don't have to live with it.

bclarkie wrote:Its easy for you to tell Jeff(both of them) or Alan or David or Paul or Bill or any of the other 1st print PotVQ owners out there, sorry about your $1000 there, but it was in my own best interests that this seeing the light of day, because I don't own it and some others out there don't either because its a curiosity. I guess when its not your $1000 or whatever it means a lot less

bclarkie wrote:Again though its extremely easy to say, "Hell yeah I'd take one for free or for $5 when it normally costs over $1,000!", especially when you don;t already own it. I think the people who don't have one neglect to look at it from that standpoint.

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 pm 

'Fraid not.  I understand precisely what Brian was trying to say.  I don't really want to get into this crap and take the post any more off topic than it already is but if anyone's posts around here are irrelevant I can say with some certainty that they are yours.

To think a thread might go off-topic for a couple posts. The nerve!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:09 pm 

You act suprised by my response to your trolling post.  Funny you always keep getting the same reaction from almost everyone to the crap you post and yet you still claim that you haven't figured out why yet.   

Seriously, Cougar is really obviously short on friends and since you have been so sympathetic to his plight here in the past, why not email him or something and you guys can like chat or something. I mean its got to be better than coming back here and trying to hijack this thread with your nonsense in yet another lame attempt to piss people off.  If you must run your mouth, you'd be much better served talking to someone who is on your own level, right?

I think my remarks suggest a distinct lack of surprise!

But it appears you need material to run your acid tongue at me. The irony that you seemed so concerned about hijacking lol.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:20 pm 

If you guys want to continue to attack each other, at least try to keep it entertaining.  You're starting to repeat your insults, and the viewers demand new material!  :lol:

Bad on topic...sort of.

I think that reprints in general a bad idea, rare or otherwise.  It adds confusion to the marketplace.  (I didn't like it when they put the reprints of the mono mods in the Silver Anniversary set, and they're hardly rare...it just makes it confusing to keep things straight.)

Re-releases seems to be the way to go to minimize the chance of adversely affecting the collectible market and/or assisting counterfeitors.  New material isn't required, but might be nice.  It can't really be that difficult to look at an original PotVQ and type it all back in.  (And that's perfectly legal if the copyright owner authorized it.)   ;)

While I'd like to see it happen, I personally I hope it doesn't become a "collectible" release, as the previous PPP modules undoubtedly were.  (No limited runs of Runic Copies, or signed copies, or whatever.)  The reason being, the whole point of this endeavour is to get the module into the public's hands.  If you want a rare collectible, I say go after the real thing. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:31 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:While I'd like to see it happen, I personally I hope it doesn't become a "collectible" release, as the previous PPP modules undoubtedly were.  (No limited runs of Runic Copies, or signed copies, or whatever.)  The reason being, the whole point of this endeavour is to get the module into the public's hands.  If you want a rare collectible, I say go after the real thing. ;)

I don't see any reason that you can't do both.  I thought the different editions of Bottle City were a great idea.  I thought the limited edition price was a bit high so I decided to go with the standard.  Either way you get the whole of the adventure...one is just different than the other.  One way or the other, any person that wants the module can get a hold of it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:59 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I don't see any reason that you can't do both.  I thought the different editions of Bottle City were a great idea.  I thought the limited edition price was a bit high so I decided to go with the standard.  Either way you get the whole of the adventure...one is just different than the other.  One way or the other, any person that wants the module can get a hold of it.

Well, you can...I just don't think you should.  Unlike those others, this one's already an established collectible.  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:06 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Fair enough. However, there was an impression that only people who have bought the things stand to lose, not those that want to or plan on buying them.

Actually that is correct.  If you can explain to me how people who have nothing invested in them currently have something to lose, I AM ALL EARS.  That said, I never even alluded to the fact that those who have nothing to lose should not have a say in the matter, thats the part that you made up.

Let me asking you something since you seem to be of the opinion that its okay for those who have money to lose on this regardless of their reasons for thier purchases, whether it was for investment or just desire to have the item(s) at any cost.  Here goes:

Do you own any motor vehicles i.e Car, Pickup-up Truck, Motorcycle, etc? (A simple yes or no is all that I want)

Last edited by bclarkie on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext