The New cougarrinard
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Next time, just take a page out of Killjoy's book....cancel the credit card transaction and avoid paypal.  The ludicrous hoops they make you jump through...first of all, since the seller never had insurance or delivery confirmation, what the hell is this about filing a police report?  The money should be back in your hands the day the seller tells them they have NO WAY of proving they sent the item.  Paypal throws out half this crap because they hope you'll give up and save them a few bucks.  Follow this through and don't let them off the hook.

Mike B

i would still do that now, as its still a major part of the purchase. at the least its gotta be worth an enquiry just to see where the land lies.

paypal are just pathetic little imbeciles and would make you fly to the moon n back if they could to move a claim on, quite well knowing that you won't do it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:39 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:

Well, if you think they are being honest about sending it, then why would you file a police report?  They didn't really do anything wrong.  People aren't obligated to give refunds . . . it is just something that good sellers do.  But if it was a large lot, it is probably some "Joe Schmoe" looking to get rid of their stuff . . . not a real business.

Why didn't you purchase insurance?  Well, probably the reason I never do . . . it's a rip off!  However, to remain objective on insurance, I've purchased about 800 different lots/items on ebay.  Except for a select few, I never purchase insurance.  Everything I have purchased has arrived till this point.  Thus, I have saved roughly $1,100 in insurance over the years!!!!

If I ever get nailed with a lost package and can't recoup the losses, I can take solace in the fact that I will still be hundreds of dollars ahead of the game by not having purchased insurance.

I imagine you are in much the same situation.

Write it off and move on . . .

A $200 package and the seller had NO tracking info? It takes, what, 15 seconds and 55 cents to afix delivery confirmation?  This behavior, coupled with the fact that items actually very rarely really become lost in the mail (I concur with BTB's figures above, maybe one last package a year at most???), would make we a bit suspicious.  Sure, a $20 package, you might blow off the Delivery confirmation.  I can say that in 15 years shipping stuff regularly through the mail I've never once not gotten tracking for a $200+ order.  Personally, I'd file the report.  But like BTB said, in the long run you are probably way ahead.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:09 pm 

Badmike wrote:
A $200 package and the seller had NO tracking info? It takes, what, 15 seconds and 55 cents to afix delivery confirmation?  This behavior, coupled with the fact that items actually very rarely really become lost in the mail (I concur with BTB's figures above, maybe one last package a year at most???), would make we a bit suspicious.  Sure, a $20 package, you might blow off the Delivery confirmation.  I can say that in 15 years shipping stuff regularly through the mail I've never once not gotten tracking for a $200+ order.  Personally, I'd file the report.  But like BTB said, in the long run you are probably way ahead.....

Mike B.

Of course, they should get delivery confirmation . . . but, I buy a bunch of large lots from sellers with low feedback - people just trying to get rid of their stuff on ebay and make a little cash.  I make the extra effort to explain media mail (if necessary), send a link to the USPS website for rates, politely explain to add delivery confirmation and also politely explain that they need to be packed in a strong box, reinforced with tape, prevented from "bouncing" around, etc.

If someone seems like they might be "clueless" , I assume they are and try to cover all pertinent points in advance.  Most folks are good people, they just need a little help to do things right. . .  

:D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:42 pm 

Thanks for the replys, I was kind of feeling icky about filing a report as well.  As for the no insurance thing, It wasn't offered and I didn't add it.   I have always "assumed" that when something like this happened I would just file with paypal and get a refund if they seller couldn't provide the proof of shipping, as I've done in the past with sellers who just plain decide not to ship anything.  I'm probably going to wind up just letting it go, the 1/3 of the books that I did recieve, will or have paid for the whole set (The 2 prizes of the lot did make it, I'm out of a large number of books but they were mostly just cheapie non WOTC d20 modules, many of which I would have bundled up and re-sold in bulk) , I'm only out my profit and some ebay fees.   :?

Previous