dragontree press
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:22 pm 

Hey all.

I don't honestly know much about their stuff - is it worth looking at?

eBay listings

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:21 pm 

I don't know if these are new or reprints, but more information about them is available on their website at

www.dragontreepress.com

I've thought about giving it a look, too...

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:50 pm 

Most of these books are later prints.  ALMA #1 looks like a very recent reprint whereas a number of the others were probably reprinted in the 90s.  Books like the Traps and Tricks have probably been reprinted 5 or more times and can be found in various forms.  Staple bound with colour cover, square bound with colour cover, square bound with parchment cover, etc.

The Arduin grimoire books true to the original versions since Dragon Tree was the company authorized to do this before Emperor's Choice came along.  The books themselves don't generally go for a ton on Ebay and there are a few more than are listed on their webpages.  Stones of Selt comes to mind as one that is missing.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:02 pm 

Mary and Ben Ezell are Dragontree Press

They run Dragontree out of their home in the Puget Sound area.

They have kept the books in print over the years...selling on their website and now on Ebay.

They won a compromise in a dispute with Emperor's Choice over the right to publish Arduin materials.  The upshot was that both Dragontree and Emperor's Choice went on selling their own versions.

I regard Dragontree as the legitimate publisher, and their books look more like the originals than the red covers from Emperor's Choice.

Some of the books they have for sale have undoubtedly been stored in their garage for years...others are newer printings.  I would not think of some of them as "reprints" so much as "print runs."

The books have an old-school feel to them and I think they are worth collecting.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:13 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The upshot was that both Dragontree and Emperor's Choice went on selling their own versions.

I don't think Dragontree is allowed to print any new copies of the Arduin Grimoire but they are allowed to sell off their old stock.  They do also sell the Emperor's Choice editions.

I would not think of some of them as "reprints" so much as "print runs."

Yes, I'm not quite sure what the distinction between reprints and print runs really is.  They have been printed many times and some also have different editions.  Most of the printing information is stated in the book.

The books have an old-school feel to them and I think they are worth collecting.

I would recommend them.  I think I have a complete set of their stuff with multiples of some books that are different printings/editions.  The spell book and trap book definitely do have an old school feel.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 am 

Mars wrote:
I would recommend them.  I think I have a complete set of their stuff with multiples of some books that are different printings/editions.  The spell book and trap book definitely do have an old school feel.

This piques my interest too, especially the The Handbook of Traps and Tricks.

Are their traps/tricks good ones?  This is my favorite aspect of role-playing games.

Thanks,
Keith

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:30 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
This piques my interest too, especially the The Handbook of Traps and Tricks.

Are their traps/tricks good ones?  This is my favorite aspect of role-playing games.

Thanks,
Keith

I lucked into a copy of The Handbook of Traps and Tricks for $1.00 browsing a used bookstore in Indianapolis about fifteen years ago and fell in love with it.  Seriously, this is a fantastic book and in my opinion is far superior to the whole Grimtooth's series.

They had a rule for trap submissions that was very simple: no auto-killer traps.  Each and every trick and trap in this booklet can be overcome through intelligent play, common sense, or even patience.  They are written so their statistics can be adapted to pretty much any fantasy role-playing system which means you have a bit of work for yourself as a GM to figure out how much damage they should do or what the saving throws should be to avoid them, but that just makes them even better.  I've unleashed some of the stuff in this book on unwary parties before, and never once have I heard a complaint that they were unfair or uninteresting - a rare thing considering how quick most players are to grumble about their characters getting caught in a conundrum.

I was also an English major in college, and seeing the quotes from classic literature they used as flavor text in the book brought a smile to my face every time.

I would highly recommend this to anybody who is a GM no matter what system you play under; the book really is that good.

- Michael

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:22 pm 

MichaelC wrote:I lucked into a copy of The Handbook of Traps and Tricks for $1.00 browsing a used bookstore in Indianapolis about fifteen years ago and fell in love with it.  Seriously, this is a fantastic book and in my opinion is far superior to the whole Grimtooth's series.

They had a rule for trap submissions that was very simple: no auto-killer traps.  Each and every trick and trap in this booklet can be overcome through intelligent play, common sense, or even patience.  They are written so their statistics can be adapted to pretty much any fantasy role-playing system which means you have a bit of work for yourself as a GM to figure out how much damage they should do or what the saving throws should be to avoid them, but that just makes them even better.  I've unleashed some of the stuff in this book on unwary parties before, and never once have I heard a complaint that they were unfair or uninteresting - a rare thing considering how quick most players are to grumble about their characters getting caught in a conundrum.

I was also an English major in college, and seeing the quotes from classic literature they used as flavor text in the book brought a smile to my face every time.

I would highly recommend this to anybody who is a GM no matter what system you play under; the book really is that good.

- Michael

Quite a ringing endorsement.  

It sounds like I need to move this close to the top of my wish list.  

I like the fact that the trap/tricks require brain over brawn, and that they're adaptable to any game system.

I just today bought Castles & Crusades (the collector's box set) to read while I'm on vacation next week.  If I like C&C as much as I think I will, then the Handbook of Traps and Tricks may be my next purchase as I build my first C&C dungeon.

Also: I used to write fiction, so I'd probably find the literary references amusing as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keith

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:53 am 

I see on the Dragon Tree website, they sell the four newer books and still sell prints of Monster File, Amazon Mutual Wants You and Desert Plots.

There are at least four other books not in print. Can anyone tell me anything about rarity and value of these other items?

Book of Plots
Book of Artifacts,
Beyond the Sacred Table &
Stones of the Selt

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:25 am 

None are overly rare.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 am 

As copied from their web site.

The Handbook of Traps and Tricks
by Ben & Mary Ezzell, et al

The Handbook of Traps and Tricks offers a modern rendering of the Azure Manuscript of Master Engineer Humphrey Tappercoom (a.k.a., The Blue Book of Hengist). The Handbook details over 100 fully-statted, ready-to-play dungeon traps whether Magickal, Mechanical or Techno -- Low-level, High or Super-complex.  No Instant-Killer traps are included!  These are playable traps -- clues precede each, escape is possible and responses require brains, not monte-haul hardware.

Note: all traps are rated by level of danger and, with the able assistance of the priests of Jocus, for both playability and humorous aspects.

Table of Contents (abbreviated)
Introduction
An extensive introduction by Master Engineer Humprey Tappercoom on the use, placement and construction of traps both interior (and underground) as well as in the open / countryside.

Passages and Other Ways
Obviously, without recourse to passages, paths, hallways and other channels of movement, yon doughy adventurers are unlike to threaten access ... therefore, what better location to discourage them?

Stairways to the Stars
Stairways are always a prime opportunity for entrapment of the unwary ... or, for that matter, the wary as well ... and even a single step can suffice to entrap those who step not wisely but too well.

Doors and Other Dangers
I know death hath ten thousand several doors
For men to take their exits
                 Webster, Duchess of Malfi

Rooms and Other Chambers
Traps aren't limited to doors, passages or stairs ... in some cases, entire rooms become the traps ... or worse ...

Have I Got A Trap for You
Because there are always those super-adventurers who are impervious, immune or otherwise untouchable ...

Maya and Other Illusions
Things are not always what they seem ... or what some think they appear ... or are they?  Discovering the answers can be half the fun ... for someone.

Hemlock, Henbane & Horror
Poisons can do much worse than merely kill ... and, at times, death could even be a kindness.

Spikes ... Bars ... Problems
Stone walls may not a prison make nor iron bars a cage ... but they can still disrupt our happy explorer's blithe dreams of glory in a most amusing way.

A Little Ray of Sunshine
... can be most enlightening ...

How To Trip Your Trap and Other Diversions
While a simple trigger is all very well, psychologically, it's much more satisfying if our victims are forced to expend a bit of effort to get themselves into trouble

Bazaar of the Bizarre
Here are more than merely traps but an assortment of richly magical constructs which are as much wonders as they are impediments to progress.

Treasure Hath A Charm Unknown
Isn't it nice that we (as dungeon masters) can always depend on the adventurer's subtle sense of greed to ensure that they become properly and thoroughly ensnared?

Additional Tables / Charts

Insanity Tables
Tables 1 & 2 provide an assortment of random insanities with which to inflict those who are too headstrong for their own safety.

Random Effect Tables
Tables 3 & 4 offer temporary and permanent random effects which may be inflicted by magical traps.

Random Phobia / Philia Chart
A fear of coins?  A liking for liches?  And much much more.

Trap Detection Tables
Just what chances do your players have for detecting a trap?  Aside from stepping in it, of course.

Monsters and Traps
Some monsters have a positive affection for traps ... do you know the signs?

Time/Total Chart
How much time (playing time, of course) does a trap require?  This will help you manage your players' adventures.

Nothing but good stuff.
I have had a few copies over the years.
My first copy from many years back was completely worn out from reading by many and use by some.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:None are overly rare.

What should I pay for them - about $10?

Aneoth - based on your enthusiasm, I'll have to get me a copy!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:53 pm 

You could probably get one for $10 or so.
I have always liked DTP items, partly because of the material and partly because of the"old-school" look and feel of the books.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:07 pm 

I like Dragon Tree Press, too. They make some interesting items.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:49 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:None are overly rare.

None are the original printings either. All reprinted in the mid nineties, clearly to fill a gap in the market that wasn't there on account of the vast stock pile that's been hitting the streets for the last four years.
A few dollars each may be worth it if you're curious, but you're better off hunting down the originals. They reprints have a cheap and nasty feel about them.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.