Eldritch Wizardry 21%       21%  [ 12 ]
Gods, Demigods & Heroes 9%       9%  [ 5 ]
Swords & Spells 3%       3%  [ 2 ]
No preference 12%       12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 58

Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:39 pm 

I'd been using the Blackmoor supplement and Temple of the Frog "module" for years as a springboard to the rest of my "world".  My campaign was based on the ideas that Asimov used for the Foundation novels (a collapsing empire, two Foundations for eventually restoring civilization, the "Mule", etc), with a some HPL thrown in for good measure.

I placed one of my Foundations in Lake Gloomy, and had the PCs play there a good bit of the time.  

Someone in my group got some Blackmoor material (I don't know if it was from GenCon or some magazine article or what) but I distinctly remember some additional information that we had on hand back in the early to mid-80s before DA1-4 came out.

When DA1-4 finally did get published it turned out to be the final campaign for me and my players.  We'd always been science fiction fans, so the themes in the modules were particularly intriguing for us (we'd likewise enjoyed Expedition to the Barrier Peaks years before).

We'd all graduated college by then, and were out getting jobs, married, imprisoned ... but I repeat myself.

Anyway, I have fond memories of DA1-4.  It's been ~18 years since that campaign.   I often wonder whether we'll ever have another one.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:58 pm 

MichaelC wrote:  ........ I've yet to see anything from 3E that comes close to that level of writing and immersion (Blackmoor-DA-1).

nor will you..... ever. :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
nor will you..... ever. :roll:

I'd like to think I'm still open-minded enough to not write 3E off completely.  I've both played and DM'ed it and it's not awful or anything.  Like any other system, a good DM makes or breaks the campaign, no two ways about it. :)

- Michael

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:31 pm 

MichaelC wrote:I'd like to think I'm still open-minded enough to not write 3E off completely.  I've both played and DM'ed it and it's not awful or anything.  Like any other system, a good DM makes or breaks the campaign, no two ways about it. :)

- Michael

The criticism I hear most often about 3E is that combat is tedious and/or time-consuming.  Since I haven't played, I can't speak from experience, but if that's true, I'll be seriously tempted to either play 1E or C&C (if I actually get to play again).

Current poll numbers:
The race is still too close to call.  Greyhawk and Blackmoor are tied, with EW a mere 4 votes back.

Vote, frog-lubbers, vote!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
The criticism I hear most often about 3E is that combat is tedious and/or time-consuming.  Since I haven't played, I can't speak from experience, but if that's true, I'll be seriously tempted to either play 1E or C&C (if I actually get to play again).

Current poll numbers:
The race is still too close to call.  Greyhawk and Blackmoor are tied, with EW a mere 4 votes back.

Vote, frog-lubbers, vote!

I'm a fairly avid 3e player. Comabt can be time-consuming if the DM lets it. It often becomes a case of "Can I do this?" "Well, let's look it up and see," which to me bogs it down too much. When I DM, I tell the players to figure out their actions ahead of time, so when it's their turn, they can do their action without too much fuss. If they're indecisive, I only give them a few seconds to make up their minds. When I played a wizard, I have my spells on note cards so I wouldn't have to look in the books to find the effects.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Previous