Facebook
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:30 pm 

Just curious, apart from one other that I know about, anybody else from Acaeum on FaceBook (www.facebook.com)?

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:44 pm 

Looks similar to MySpace.  I once had a MySpace account a couple of years ago.  I thought it was for hosting files so I put up a bunch of pictures of my collection and posted links to it on the forum.  Little did I know that months later I would have all these "friends" asking me stupid questions about the pictures.  Needless to say, I canceled the account.

:batman:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 pm 

I have a facebook account.  I set one up about a month ago.  I can see why people get addicted to it.  I know a couple of people who over 500 friends.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm 

We have a myspace, but not facebook, too many of those sites now just have to stick with one.  =)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:12 pm 

An emerging one is called Plenty of Fish: http://www.plentyoffish.com

It's primarily a dating site, but some of the features are like that of myspace and facebook. Cool place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 pm 

If they come out with Breastbook or Snatchbook, I'll consider it. Otherwise it's just another MySpace, and I have no time to waste with that.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 pm 

:thumleft:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:41 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:If they come out with Breastbook or Snatchbook, I'll consider it.

Sorry Frank but I don't want to see either your snatch or your rack.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:31 am 

I'm on LiveJournal, and it appears that no other collectors are.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:31 pm 

I signed up for MySpace recently, but strictly to give our good friend DAYEONâ„¢ the occasional bad time. But then he set all of his MySpace stuff to "private" ... and then I discovered that the entire place is, really, pretty damn boring. Something tells me that most of the "social" sites won't do a lot for me ...  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:41 pm 

Ooooh, good point. I don't have a snatch 9well, I have a wife), and my rack is pretty guyish.
How about YouBoob?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:49 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Something tells me that most of the "social" sites won't do a lot for me ...  :?

Well, since bumping seems to be all the rage here now ...  :)

**BIG BUMP**

It turned out I was wrong in the quote above. I'm actually liking Facebook quite a bit. For one thing, it's not MySpace, which is a hell-on-earth populated almost exclusively by brain-dead social retards; for another, any site with an "Erol Otus Fan Club" can't be all bad.

And I just did a search for "dungeons" and more than 500 groups came up, with most of those appearing to be D&D groups (as opposed to weird S&M groups ... not that there's anything wrong with that).

On a slightly more serious note, Facebook has been the first tool I've been able to use to successfully re-connect with some old friends (especially from my college days). It's taken a few weeks, but now I'm beginning to hear from at least one old college friend per week, which is very cool. On my own, I never would have had the patience to go seeking these people out one at a time.

So, anyway ... any other Acaeum alumni using Facebook? I know of at least one 1,000-plus poster here who does, but I haven't really tried to hard to seek other folks out. I figured I'd ask here first.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:01 pm 

I'm on Facebook too - just joined the Otus group :)  I know a couple of others are on there too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:45 pm 

I've been on Facebook for a couple of weeks.  I'd resisted getting involved until recently, viewing it largely as a time-sink.  I figured that once my dog got a Facebook profile, I should get with the times.

I too just joined the Erol Otus group.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:56 pm 

NetRodent wrote: ... viewing it largely as a time-sink ...

No, no, it's not a time-sink. I mean, just because I've spent all day there, uploading photos, finding old college buddies, looking for Acaeum people, sending fake drinks to everyone in my list, adding widgets, and ... uh, nevermind ... it's a total time-sink. The whole thing is sort of hypnotic.   :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:56 pm 

I have recently joined facebook myself... at first I did think that it was a total waste of time, now only a moderate waste of time.... Looks to be a lot of young want to bees;) "going out sat see you there" kind of stuff... however after a couple of days I figured that it could almost replace your email IF all your friends joined as you can send email to each other but also post pics let poeple know what you are doing like a blog etc.. Its also can be used to track down some old friends, it makes it a lot easier if the have a pic, have their profile not set to private and don't call themselves Super Chicken or some such.. then they have to accept you as a freind then as well;) And lets face it at the end of the day most of the poeple that you join as friends are mere acquantainces.. (although I have found a couple of old girlfriends and my ex-wife on there as well!) I have made the concious efforft NOT to put drinks, vampire/ninja, hatching eggs etc crap etc crap on my page, I'm going to keep it fairly free of clutter I think

The big plus is that you get to see what poeple look like.. Hehehe

Anyway more than glad to add Acaeum members (already have a couple already) just search my name Brett Easterbrook (I'm the angel)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 pm 

I'm on there too (in addition to LinkedIn).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:28 am 

Ooh! I want to be Grodog's friend!

Seriously, anybody I've met in person can friend me here. You can even see what my real name is.

About half my friends list on Facebook is people I've played D&D with.  (The other half? People I've met in politics.  They're two groups that have nothing to do with each other.)  I've actually started using the Facebook Events tool to schedule my on-and-off 1E games -- I can send the invite to a bunch of people and see how many reply.

WWW ICQ  
Next