Gencon Indy - Trade Booth
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:10 am 

Hi All,

I am debating on whether to book a trade stand at Gencon Indy NEXT year (i.e. approx 15 months time).

Anyone here do this?

Any advice please?

Cheers,
Malcolm

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:07 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi All,

I am debating on whether to book a trade stand at Gencon Indy NEXT year (i.e. approx 15 months time).

Anyone here do this?

Any advice please?

Cheers,
Malcolm

It is expensive, e-mail the gencon folks from the website.

l\

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:38 pm 

Malcom, I'm working through pricing/etc. for this now, and you can download the Exhibitor info from the GenCon site @ http://www.gencon.com/files/2007/indy/E ... cation.pdf

Blackmoor's right though:  you're looking at $1000 US at least.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:55 am 

Hiya,

yeah, the early bird is $1100 for the smallest stall.

Do you know if they have a block of "exhibitor only" hotel rooms in the close hotels? It seems to imply there is a specific code that you need before you can book a hotel, and this is different if you are an exhibitor.

And how "early" can you book for next year?

Cheers,
malcolm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 am 

I don't think you can book for next year until after GenCon, though you can touch base with them to confirm that.

If you're a first time exhibitor, you can also apply for the "entrepreneurial discount" which takes $325 or so off of the price.  

What did you have in mind for the booth:  collector-quality TSR sales and trading?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 am 

Yeah, bring over some shrinkwraps, Games Workshop versions etc.

The Missus could also buy in ccgs.

It would be more as a bit of adventure, rather than a serious attempt to make money, as we would be limited to what we could fly with.

Plus combine it with a few days in Vegas and New York.

Cheers,
malcolm

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:43 am 

Well, albeit I'm in a completely different country and continent, I'm now convinced that having a booth, albeit small, in a big game fair is profitable. I tried it last year with a friend and we spent for the booth proper around 560 euros, but we snatched almost 5,000 euros in sales (mostly Magic cards, I admit, but we did good business in out of print games too...).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:43 pm 

Why not have a group of collectors get together and have a booth, maybe call it The Acaeum booth? A booth for selling high-end gaming collectibles...

Lots of people never make it to the auction, but go to the exhibit hall. It might be profitable enough...

Of course, with one booth, you only get two free exhibitor badges, but you can buy more exhibitor badges at a cheaper rate. With an exhibitor badge you can get in the exhibit hall earlier, stay later, and have other opportunities regular attendees do not have, such as the earlier, better hotel reservation system.

Of course, someone would have to be at the booth at all times.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:50 pm 

- Why not have a group of collectors get together and have a booth, maybe call it The Acaeum booth? A booth for selling high-end gaming collectibles...
dozen or two woodgrains = little space taken + good publicity? :lol: :lol: extra security guard cost??

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:05 pm 

Oh man! If somebody sets up an Acaeum booth we will have to all chip in to have a "Beware of Cougar" sign made....  :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:17 pm 

Yeah, but after all the swaps, trades and exchanges amongst the acaeum members there'd be nothing left to sell!

Cheers,
Malcolm

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:42 pm 

Not to mention the ridiculous arguing over "that's not in very fine" or "yeah? I have thirty of those" or "beware the staple rust monster!" Ooo, and I could only imagine what it'd be like when someone came up with a binder of photocopied stuff, looking for its "worth." Fun stuff that would make. Maybe its not such a bad idea, after all. ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm 

I'd be willing to bring some rares to exhibit as long as they wouldn't mysteriously vanish (not that the Acaeum folks would nab them---it's the rest of the crowd I'd be concerned about...).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:39 pm 

I am really hoping to go next year - so would deffo be up for hanging out at an acaeum booth! (or even chipping in for one).  Would be great  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 pm 

- I'd be willing to bring some rares to exhibit as long as they wouldn't mysteriously vanish (not that the Acaeum folks would nab them---it's the rest of the crowd I'd be concerned about...).
why pay to exhibit?? put in auction at high reserve and frank displays for no cost :twisted:  :twisted:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:43 am 

Hi,

we tend to use boxes, or crates, when we display "ordinary" stuff - like in this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/7881288@N05/534358333/ - is that acceptable at US Gencon?

Cheers,
malcolm

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:56 am 

That;s the way many of the booths do it, and sometimes, they have glass cases for the "important stuff." Heck, when I was there last, the place where the auction was held had lots of those boxes. So, yeah... its pretty much the standard practice.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:40 am 

Ta.

Doesnt look like Entr Discount applies, as its only for Designers, who are selling mostly 1 product (I think).

Could probably get a half-decent placement tho, as we have been exhibiting at Gencon UK for a long time, which apparently helps.

Out of interest, do people expect do be able to pay with a credit card in the trade hall? Say for a purchase of $100. Or do people bring lots of cash?

Cheers,
Malcolm

Next