Tomb of Horrors Question: 2nd vs. 7th
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:38 am 

Hi all -

I'm wondering how to tell a 2nd printing mono from the reprint in the RttToH boxed set. The website has:

Second:  Monochrome.  Wizard logo, centered.  ISBN on either back cover bottom left or front cover bottom left; both versions reported.  Thanks to Chris Hoffner and Rhea Shelley for this info.

Seventh (1999):  Monochrome.  Wizard logo, centered.  ISBN on front cover bottom left only.  TSR should have placed a TSR Silver logo on this module, as they did with other Silver Anniversary reprints, but they did not -- notice that the difference between this print and Second / Third prints is solely the location of the ISBN number.  This print was available only within the Return to the Tomb of Horrors boxed set released by TSR in 1999.  It did not come shrinkwrapped. (Thanks to Bruce Robertson and Jeremy Simmons for this info, and to Bruce Robertson for the scan).

Now: let's say the ISBN is on the bottom left of the front cover. If it's shrinkwrapped, you know it's a 2nd. But if it's not, how can you tell? The entry for the reprint says the ISBN location is the only way to distinguish them, but if genuine 2nd printings also have ISBN in that location, it's an exact copy.

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 am 

Well, I have a second printing copy with front/left ISBN. I bought it in 1990, so I know it's the real deal. Do anyone have a 1999 copy? we can nit-pick over it and find out if there are any differences.

Some starters:

The ISBN nr of the 1978 is 0-935696-12-1
The pink background colour is 30% colour at a raster angle of 45° and approximately 133-150 lpi. It is a custom color, not magenta, so it's not made up from CMYK separations.
The inside cover map and hill illustration is printed in 50% Cyan at 45° angle, and 133-150 lpi
The outside of the cover is coated semi-matte, the inside is uncoated.

The booklets are stapled with a distance between the staples of 137mm (5 3/8 in). It is unlikely, but not impossible that this should vary in one print run.

-- MW

edit. bikoos I kant spel

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:29 am 

See this thread:  http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2426&highlight=tomb+horrors+2nd

Read Chromatic Knight's response for your answer.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:36 pm 

Thanks, BB. The one book thing is the easiest difference to spot.

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.