What to do?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:42 pm 

Oh Yes, it's another one of those, "I'm having a problem with a guy on ebay and not sure what to do..." questions.  PDT_Armataz_01_23

I bought this

** expired eBay auction **

...and two other modules from this guy

eBay listings

recently.  After a couple of weeks when they didn't turn up I emailed him (twice).  Eventually he apologised for forgetting to post them, and they have now arrived.  

But...  toal postage charge for the three was £7.50.  I assumed that they would be packed super securely, and possibly posted recorded delivery.  But they were just shoved into two paper envelopes - with an actual total postage cost of £1.98.  

I have emailed him and politely suggested he use paypal to help offset the postage cost (no response).  

Any final suggestions before I hit the feedback button?  :rambo:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:36 pm 

Actually, I think the new "detailed seller ratings" give you the opportunity to be negative without the actual neg FB.  This guy has already started to take a bit of a hit in terms of delivery times:

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... tForOthers

I had a similar incident with:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=010

Where I was charged £9 p&p for a fighting wheel.  He sent it recorded in a homemade envelope at about £1.20 cost.  His only comeback was to quote a Swedish auction that had £9 international shipping.  He just wouldn't budge.  I didn't neg fb, but did single star for 3 out of the 4 (it was also 10 days delivery).

I'm now taking far more notice of these ratings when I look at buying from sellers I've not used before.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:21 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:
I had a similar incident with:

** expired eBay auction **

Where I was charged £9 p&p for a fighting wheel.  He sent it recorded in a homemade envelope at about £1.20 cost.  His only comeback was to quote a Swedish auction that had £9 international shipping.  He just wouldn't budge.  I didn't neg fb, but did single star for 3 out of the 4 (it was also 10 days delivery).

I'm now taking far more notice of these ratings when I look at buying from sellers I've not used before.

Difficult one generally. Did the seller do what he said he was going to do, or what you assumed he was going to do? I generally don't look at the price on packages that have been sent to me - if I bid then I knew what I was going to pay, not what it was going to cost, which is kind of irrelevent. (One of the reasons I only bid where the shipping is listed or I have specifically asked).

As for the fighting wheel - this was actually discussed here somewhere - shipping was high, incredibly so, but it was listed. I would be very irritated if it wasn't packed well for this price - and to be shipped slowly as well....

(Though if the item reached me as it left the seller there is little cause for complaint)

I know that it isn't a popular thing for most buyers but high shipping is a fact of life on ebay - it shouldn't come as a surprise - the only thing to do is to make sure you build the shipping into your bid - I know it's not right but what else are you going to do? :scratch:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 pm 

Did you ask the seller to combine shipping on the items? If you didn't then you might have an eBay claim against them.

I read the one listing and it clearly states £3.50 for P&P and I would expect that item to be shipped in it's own package.

I would suggest going to the Answer Center in the Community forums on eBay and asking for their advice.

I have bought a lot of expensive test equipment on eBay and have learned to never assume anything, which is what you unfortunately did.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 pm 

When a seller charges a premium for shipping and then proceeds to spend .10 on packaging and ship slow and cheaply I would be a little ticked too.  If the seller has left FB for you already I might be tempted to ding him, or at least give a positive with a ding.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:29 am 

gyg wrote:As for the fighting wheel - this was actually discussed here somewhere - shipping was high, incredibly so, but it was listed. I would be very irritated if it wasn't packed well for this price - and to be shipped slowly as well....
(Though if the item reached me as it left the seller there is little cause for complaint)

You're right of course.  The overall price was fine, I was happy to pay.
However, slow shipping and chasing resulted in the 1 stars being given.