Dragon's Trove and Troll & Toad?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:27 pm 

My question is this: Has anybody here done business with these two online hobby stores, and if so, would you recommend either of them? Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:07 pm 

Munafik wrote:My question is this: Has anybody here done business with these two online hobby stores, and if so, would you recommend either of them? Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Dragonstrove plenty of times....good service, prices are ok, high on some items  but you can get a deal.

T&T...their prices seemto be on the high side, and most their business seems to be in CCG.  Haven't bought anything from them.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 pm 

What Mike says is pretty accurate.  I have bought from Dragon's Trove a couple of times.  I've found a couple of deals there too.  T&T, I have been interested in a few of their items but their prices are for the most part very high.  International shipping is also extremely marked up.

Dragon's Trove does tend to describe the actual item they are selling while T&T fit it into one of their general description categories so you don't really know what you are buying.  Things like: box may or may not be missing a side panel; maps and booklets may or may not be photocopies; etc.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:02 am 

The two items I bought from Dragonstrove were in great condition and arrived very promptly.  The guy from Dragonstrove has always been quick with his responses to my queries and was quite courteous.

The one item I won from Troll and Toad was shipped quickly, packed well and came to me for a reasonable shipping price.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:36 am 

I have bought from both as well.  They were both professional and prompt.

Like anything, do your research on your item before you buy.  Patience is key, no matter how much you want an item remember it will always be offered again :flower:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:58 am 

Thanks for the testimonials to all who replied!

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:55 am 

Finally able to log in again.  I've dealt with DragonsTrove for years, and years.  Never had a problem.  Great person to actually deal with.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:36 am 

I've had great experiences with dragonstrove.  Friendly and good prices for what I was purchasing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:43 am 

I'll chime in as well in support of Dragon's Trove.  Good service with some deals to be had if you're willing to look.

As for T&T, I've never dealt with them.

The Egg

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:55 am 

I have had several purchases with Dragon's Trove as well, all went very well.  For the most part Michael prices his stuff quite fairly, he doesn't screw you on S&H charges, he ships quickly, packages good and corrects any problems without hassle.

Now, I have purchased from Troll and Toad through their online store one time(not Ebay their actual website) and that transaction went fine, although the shipping was pretty high.  At the time, I thought  that I overpspent on the item I bought, which is my problem not theirs being that I went in with full knowledge of what I was doing.   However, that selling strategy is also what you can expect from them with everything that you buy.  They price their stuff higher than too high(typically at least 2 times higher that the highest items typically go for) and they hope to snag people not knowing the by doing it.    In the long run, the item that I bought (a Warriors of Mars for $500) ended up being about what the market has been bearing for them over the last 12 to 18 months, so in retrospect by their own standards I got a great deal(I'm guessing that if they come onto another one, they will price it at $1000).  That said, if you can expect anything from T&T, it is that chances are that if you are buying something from them(on Ebay or their seperate website store) that no matter what you are buying, you are likely greatly overpaying for it based on what things normally go for.  

Additionally, I do not want to speak for anyone elses experiences, but I have heard more than one person complain about their gradings of some(not all) of the stuff they had bought and I have also heard on a couple of occasions where *printings* of certain items where misrepresented as well.  Again though, those are not my own experiences, they are only things that I have heard here from others.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Additionally, I do not want to speak for anyone elses experiences, but I have heard more than one person complain about their gradings of some(not all) of the stuff they had bought and I have also heard on a couple of occasions where *printings* of certain items where misrepresented as well.  Again though, those are not my own experiences, they are only things that I have heard here from others.

I am going through this right now with them actually :)  I am interested in a couple of their items but I am trying to figure out which prints they actually have and the condition of the items.  Their stock photo does not seem to be accurate for the printing so they are going to dig out the items and let me know what's up.  The problem that I have with condition is that their descriptions of the actual item is very vague unless the item is in mint condition. In exchanging emails, they have always been pleasant though.