Original Font for OD&D manuals and 1st Edition?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 29, 2020
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:21 pm 
 

Does anyone know which font was used to write "Dungeons & Dragons" on the covers of these books/modules?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 121
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:15 pm 
 

Try looking here

http://www.geocities.com/rgfdfaq/tsrfonts.html

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 29, 2020
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:41 pm 
 

What a great resource! I never even knew it existed...

Thank you!


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  


Active Collector

Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 15, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 07, 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:29 am 
 

Yeah, sweet resource.  Any ideas what font was used for the text within the OD&D booklets?  Maybe Courier?  Chainmail looks like Courier to me...



 WWW ICQ  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2468
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:17 pm 
 

and you could even check Thorf webpage on TSR fonts...

http://mystara.thorf.co.uk/fontfaq.php

:study:


I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 10, 2019
Location: Los Angeles

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:47 pm 
 

All right, does anyone know where affordable versions of Quentin and Futura can be found? 35 Euros (!!!!) for a single font is just a bit outrageous...

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 29, 2020
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:00 pm 
 

Unless I am mistaken (please correct me if anyone knows better!) there is a cloned version of Futura called "Futurist"...

It is available on many of the shareware sites.


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:23 pm 
 

Howdy,


Charles G. wrote:All right, does anyone know where affordable versions of Quentin and Futura can be found? 35 Euros (!!!!) for a single font is just a bit outrageous...


I looked for a year and just went ahead and bought Quentin and ChiselD for about $35 each. In a year of looking I could not find free or reduced price versions.

I don't regret buying them for I have used the fonts for various projects from Character Sheets, to DM Screens, to edited versions of the AD&D manuals, to my own modules. Futura Bk and Futura MD BT, I believe I found on a free font site.

If you have those you have all the fonts you need for PH, MM, DMG era texts and modules.

Check this out for an example of how I've used these fonts:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... ht=#456850

You can get the download here and make your own screen:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive ... atchfile=0


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 10, 2019
Location: Los Angeles

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:14 pm 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,




I looked for a year and just went ahead and bought Quentin and ChiselD for about $35 each. In a year of looking I could not find free or reduced price versions.

I don't regret buying them for I have used the fonts for various projects from Character Sheets, to DM Screens, to edited versions of the AD&D manuals, to my own modules. Futura Bk and Futura MD BT, I believe I found on a free font site.

If you have those you have all the fonts you need for PH, MM, DMG era texts and modules.

Check this out for an example of how I've used these fonts:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... ht=#456850

You can get the download here and make your own screen:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive ... atchfile=0


Futures Bright,

Paul


Top notch work on the Screen!

I may just have to break down and get the Quentin.

Do you happen to recall what site you picked up the Futura fonts from?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:17 pm 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,




I looked for a year and just went ahead and bought Quentin and ChiselD for about $35 each. In a year of looking I could not find free or reduced price versions.

I don't regret buying them for I have used the fonts for various projects from Character Sheets, to DM Screens, to edited versions of the AD&D manuals, to my own modules. Futura Bk and Futura MD BT, I believe I found on a free font site.

If you have those you have all the fonts you need for PH, MM, DMG era texts and modules.

Check this out for an example of how I've used these fonts:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... ht=#456850

You can get the download here and make your own screen:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive ... atchfile=0


Futures Bright,

Paul



Holy Crap!  Nice work!


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:14 am 
 

Charles G. wrote:
Top notch work on the Screen!

I may just have to break down and get the Quentin.

Do you happen to recall what site you picked up the Futura fonts from?


Thanks for the kind words.

I went through my archived sites and here is what I have (I may have paid for all of them):

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/paratype/futura-book/

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/chisel/d/

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/ef/quentin/ef/


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 am 
 

Howdy Mark,


FormCritic wrote:

Holy Crap!  Nice work!


:lol: I get that a lot.

It was a heckuva' lot of work and time but it is the best screen I have ever owned.

Thanks again for the kind words. Ample reward for such a project.


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 395
Joined: Feb 06, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:38 pm 
 

Okay  a little digging revealed Fonts101.com, which appears to be an excellent source of fonts.

They have a future (not a future BK):

http://www.fonts101.com/xt_fontdetails_ ... ~font.html

Several Souvenir fonts including Souvenir light

http://www.fonts101.com/xt_fontdetails_ ... ~font.html

A Chisel (this is called Chisel Becker -- not sure how close to Chisel D)

http://www.fonts101.com/xt_fontdetails_ ... ~font.html

Two Quentins:

http://www.fonts101.com/xt_fontdetails_ ... ~font.html

http://www.fonts101.com/xt_fontdetails_ ... ~font.html

I haven't had chance to try them yet, just downloaded and about to pop out for a curry!

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 121
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:24 pm 
 

Great Site.

Thanks for the links


Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2468
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:11 am 
 

quick update from my side: i went head and found other fonts d&d related which are not mentioned in the 2 main sites (Thorf and Fontfaq)... here we go:



Mystic Etchings - 2nd Edition, AD&D Forgotten Realms logo
*************
Image



Forgotten Uncial - 2nd Edition, AD&D Forgotten Realms headings
*************
Image



Drgonmaster - Dragon/Dungeon magazine logo
*************
Image





I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2020
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:36 pm 
 

The original font for 'D&D' has also been identified as Subway regular.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2468
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:44 am 
 

sauromatian wrote:The original font for 'D&D' has also been identified as Subway regular.


can you pls post an example? ...i found several fonts named "Subway" but cannot match what exactly you are referring to...

is the first one in the results of the seach here? http://www.searchfreefonts.com/search/?q=subway

tnx


I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2020
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 am 
 

aia wrote:can you pls post an example? ...i found several fonts named "Subway" but cannot match what exactly you are referring to...


Then it's probably incorrect information. Someone on another D&D discussion group long ago made the claim, that's all I know about it.

The fonts on the link you provided are in similar proportion to the OD&D title font, just not in detail. Maybe it can be defined as Subway letters with an overlay of 19th-century style elaboration.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 260
Joined: Feb 25, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 pm 
 

Big breakthrough for me on this front this weekend. I found the font that matches the interior text of the original booklets:

Univers Light

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/univers/

It's a perfect match.

This does not match the text for the word INDEX on the index page, nor the front cover text on the booklets and whitebox, but I'm still working on that. Futura covers portions of the cover (GYGAX & ARNESON), but it doesn't explain the "Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames..." text.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 165
Joined: May 15, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2020
Location: Woonsocket, Rhode Island

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:54 pm 
 

Hi everyone,

FYI, there is a font out there called SALOON GIRL -- from a font vendor called Font Mesa, who sells on www.myfonts.com -- which is a dead ringer for Quentin, and even includes a lowercase alphabet and several different shadows/outlines/fills versions for $40.00!

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2