Laughable item descriptions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 42 of 62123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 606162
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:52 pm 

misterspock wrote:Quick -- no one stop me from getting my greasy hands on this "rare" version!!! I've been looking hard for one with the demons and devils for YEARS!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Oops, I guess someone with greasy hands already had it in their possession! :)

The $15 price for this book is not bad if you don't add in the $6 shipping ripoff.

The title page says "4th Edition" right on it as pictured.

I think this guy is being duplicitous because I think he knows thats a 4th print, not 4th edition.

It is just....barely...possible that he has confused the different versions of Deities and Demi-Gods with or without Cthulhu and Melnibone, and has listed this one as rare.

I'm too lazy to check his other stock and his past sales to see if he's a jerk...but $15 is not too high.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:08 pm 

I think the guy farms melons when he's not fishing for muppets.

TBH, if someone is stupid enough to buy, then taking money from idiots is fair game. They need to learn somehow, and people like this teach them valuable lessons about life.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:07 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
The $15 price for this book is not bad if you don't add in the $6 shipping ripoff.

The title page says "4th Edition" right on it as pictured.

I think this guy is being duplicitous because I think he knows thats a 4th print, not 4th edition.

It is just....barely...possible that he has confused the different versions of Deities and Demi-Gods with or without Cthulhu and Melnibone, and has listed this one as rare.

I'm too lazy to check his other stock and his past sales to see if he's a jerk...but $15 is not too high.

Yeah, I think he's got it confused with the Deities and Demigods, too. That's got to be it. I guess it could be the 2e change that has him mixed up, but there were a lot of more printings (which he may be unaware) of that manual between that one and the 2e monstrous compendiums. Maybe I'll just nicely prod him with an Ebay email...

TBH, if someone is stupid enough to buy, then taking money from idiots is fair game. They need to learn somehow, and people like this teach them valuable lessons about life.

:lol:  :lol:

On 2nd thought, he did use the word "rare"... I guess he's both mixed up on his info and like so many sellers (ie Lisas Stuff Too) who throw that word around...it'd be a shame if someone walked into that trap.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:17 pm 

dbartman wrote:
Well they managed to snag a newbie with their creative, if not somewhat shady, description...

I guess the $15 price could've been a lot worse for the newbie, but that shipping cost of $10 for priority mail I think pushes it into that absurb range.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:04 pm 

I dunno, I don't think it's all that bad. If said newbie bought the DMG at NKG, he'd pay a few bucks less for Priority shipping, but he'd pay $25 for the book and not have the privilege of seeing a photo first. Don't get me wrong, I love Noble Knight... I just don't think this seller is the devil incarnate.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:I dunno, I don't think it's all that bad. If said newbie bought the DMG at NKG, he'd pay a few bucks less for Priority shipping, but he'd pay $25 for the book and not have the privilege of seeing a photo first. Don't get me wrong, I love Noble Knight... I just don't think this seller is the devil incarnate.

You're right.  You could easily pay that amount at a bunch of other online places, even if you're buying through Abebooks or somethings. I wasn't trying to make him out to be Asmodeus or anything.  Just a good laugh at his expense, is all!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:30 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

How is $6 a ripoff for shipping? a Priority box will be $10+ to ship and the envelope will be around $4.95. If you ship non-flat-rate it will be close to that once you figure in packing...

But $15 is too high for this common a book in this shitty condition.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 pm 

TheMilford wrote:
How is $6 a ripoff for shipping? a Priority box will be $10+ to ship and the envelope will be around $4.95. If you ship non-flat-rate it will be close to that once you figure in packing...

But $15 is too high for this common a book in this shitty condition.

LOL, I wondered who would object.  :D

First, he isn't shipping priority, majority or any ority.  He's shipping media mail.

Second, from my perspective as strictly a buyer, the only reasonable price for shipping is...the exact cost for shipping.

It isn't unreasonable to charge for the slightly larger envelope, some cardboard and some tape...but cardboard is usually free and tape and envelopes are not expensive.

However, I was mostly saying what I said just for fun.

The $15 price tag is about $5 more than the price would be at Half Price Books....but it's hardly an indication of a criminal mastermind at work.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:07 pm 

OK, who has been teaching Couglish to eBay sellers?

. . . http://cgi.ebay.com/Book-Dungeons-Drago ... 0412046219

The title begins our journey . . .

Book Dungeons & Dragons LOT 9 BOOKS in All New

And then the description rises up from the road.  Was this description created by a speedfreak or a crackhead?
Description:

HELLO FORM A LARGE COLLECTION THIS THIS IS NEW IT HAS BEEN STOOD FOR A TIME IF THEIRS ANYTHING NOT RIGHT WITH THE CONDITION I WILL AND IT UNDER THE LISTING I WILL COMBINE SHIPPING AND I START ALL SALES AT .98 SO YOU DETERMINE THE PRICE

THIS IS A NEW BOOK LOT YOU CAN RESELE SOME KEEP SOME ALL NEW

DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE X 3
MONSTER MANUL X 5
FORGOTEN REALMS CAPAIGN GUIDE 1

THANKS

And our final stop is in the land of "Pay".
Payment :

PAYPAL IS THE BEST WAY TO PAY PAYMENT IN 5 DAYS

THANKS

In the seller's defense, each auction that I checked has a large number of pictures.  Perhaps the seller knows that his English sucks ass, and that a picture is worth a thousand words of Couglish.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:26 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:OK, who has been teaching Couglish to eBay sellers?

That is hilarious..get that guy to a remedial English class on the double!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:24 am 

. . .  

I would guess that this seller is what we would call an "English Language Learner" (ELL).   English is probably not his first language.  I hope.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:08 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I would guess that this seller is what we would call an "English Language Learner" (ELL).   English is probably not his first language.  I hope.

Perhaps.  I blame the failure of the educational system on you personally, Mark.  :)

How about this one:

. . .  

The auction title reads as follows:
variety of fancy color including dungeon and dragons

And the description is
These dice are a variety of clear blue clear white fancy blue gray one large 20 die and variety of dungeon and dragon dice was a dice collector sorry dont have a camera so cant put a picture and if not happy will put a return of 7 days on it if not satisfy so let the bidding start for the total of 49 dice had more but gone now by the way there is more variety in colors besides the ones told some wood literally yellow red, red black,  again if not satisfied please send back

Another auction description reads
blood bowl dice dont know what else to say there original white blood bowl dice no picture sorry due to no camera

Are people smoking meth and crack while selling on eBay?  Or is this where the English language is heading?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 pm 

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:04 pm 

Punctuation is a lost art.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 pm 

Whale Tagger wrote:Punctuation is a lost art.

No it, isnt

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:16 am 

v: to Coug ;
the inability to compose a structured sentence with punctuation and grammar.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:17 pm 

Who the hell is "Boria"? :)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:29 pm 

If she's the chick in the picture then I'm interested :).

I actually though this part of the description was funnier:

"Very out of print and hard to find these days"

Isn't "out of print" sort of like "dead" or "pregnant"? You either are or ya ain't.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 42 of 62123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 606162