Laughable item descriptions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 62123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 606162
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:43 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Advanced-Dungeons-D ... dZViewItem

For the serious collector.

I've actually found that the serious collector prefers it if their modules have not been sand blasted.

If someone is going to put up a $100 min bid auction they need to cough up for more pictures and a complete list of what they are selling.

The crazy thing is that it wouldn't surprise me to see it go for the bin.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

For the serious collector.

I've actually found that the serious collector prefers it if their modules have not been sand blasted.

If someone is going to put up a $100 min bid auction they need to cough up for more pictures and a complete list of what they are selling.

The crazy thing is that it wouldn't surprise me to see it go for the bin.

I don't know how much it redeems that lot, but I'm pretty sure there's a Dark and Hidden Ways in there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 pm 

I thought this was funny....

http://cgi.ebay.com/I-have-no-idea-what ... 286.c0.m14

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 pm 

SH60B wrote:I thought this was funny....

I collect hexagons. Thx for posting!  :rabbit:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 am 

they're also selling coupons... isn't that illegal?

Bizzare

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:25 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeon-Dragons-AD- ... dZViewItem

Look and see how flexible my modules are. They bend like a reed in the wind, but they will not break.    :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:13 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:

Look and see how flexible my modules are. They bend like a reed in the wind, but they will not break.    :lol:

Speaking of flexi modules... Is there one word in this lengthy description about the modules being curved like ripples on a pond? A very artistic look, but it also makes me wonder about the completeness of the modules (Dragonlance being notorious for fiddling little pieces, pull-outs, half-size maps and cut-outs).

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:34 am 

Both funny!  :)

I wonder with the first if he bent them so he could stand them up to take the photo? Or perhaps bendy modules are in vogue $26!

The second one - looks like they've been dipped in hot water one by one - much as one dips prawn crackers briefly in hot oil to get them to shrink!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:36 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Both funny!  :)

I wonder with the first if he bent them so he could stand them up to take the photo? Or perhaps bendy modules are in vogue $26!

The second one - looks like they've been dipped in hot water one by one - much as one dips prawn crackers briefly in hot oil to get them to shrink!

soory, but have you ever heard about the tea-bag-modules? well, this is a crisp example!  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:41 am 

Seriously, I don't see how one could get that much bend without water being involved.  The pictures of the box sets are so blurred you really can't tell anything.  Really bizarre.  It would be interesting to see what kind of feedback the winning bidder leaves for the seller.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:Seriously, I don't see how one could get that much bend without water being involved.  The pictures of the box sets are so blurred you really can't tell anything.  Really bizarre.  It would be interesting to see what kind of feedback the winning bidder leaves for the seller.

Yeah, these seem to have that S crease that comes from moisture warping, but I supose they could have been stuffed in a box on edge and more things piled on top to create a pressure crease.

Depending on completeness (and any lack of mildew, mold or musk) this isn't a bad Dragonlance starter set for someone buying to play. Those non-AD&D dragonlance sets used to be just about worthless and the early modules overprinted so they were about as common as a B2 or an X1, but anymore I'm not sure about pricing on what were common items.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:43 am 

I'm guessing it's the result of being stored in a box in a slightly damp basement.  If the box isn't full, the modules wouldn't be supported, and eventually they would warp.  Something similar (though not to that degree) happened to some magazines I had a while back.

That, of course, is one reason to use those nifty backing boards.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:22 pm 

Here's one:

I find the description interesting:

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, OFFICIAL GAME ADVENTURE, IN SEARCH OF ADVENTURE, THE GRAND DUCHY OF KARAMEIKOS ANTHOLOGY.  B1-9 CAMPAIGN ADVENTURE FOR CHARACER LEVELS 1-3.  TSR 1987.  BOOK APPEARS TO BE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION HOWEVER PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS ESPECIALLY RE: CONDITION PRIOR TO BIDDING AS WE ARE NOT COLLECTORS.  SHIPPING/HANDLING WILL BE $6.00 IN THE LOWER 48 STATES, OTHERS WILL BE CALCULATED AFTER AUCTION ENDS.  PLEASE CHECK OUT MY OTHER AD&D AUCTIONS.  THANKS FOR LOOKING!

I guess only a collector can tell if an item has torn pages or highlighting/writing, etc. in it.  Maybe it's just me but isn't it a little odd that the buyer has to ask questions about condition even though the seller states that they are not collectors and presumably no nothing about condition?   :?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:47 pm 

It looks like a decent copy of the module.

However the "ask us questions about our product" crap is just a cheap way of stating a disclaimer, that we gave them every opportunity to tell them about our product... blah blah blah...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:35 pm 

However the "ask us questions about our product" crap is just a cheap way of stating a disclaimer, that we gave them every opportunity to tell them about our product... blah blah blah...

That's exactly what it is.  Once you buy it you have no recourse as to the condition if you didn't ask questions.  Somehow I get the feeling that a 3 year old used it for a coloring book.  But we'll keep that a secret unless someone specifically asks :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:15 pm 

I guess they have missed 'apart from the holes' after the 'mint condition'?

:?

Then again we should put it down to lack of knowledge rather than malice.  It still bugs me though that I always try to read up on stuff that I sell and some peeps don't.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 pm 

Every once in a while I check Craig's list but lately it seems to be as bad as Amazon for pricing:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/834114155.html

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:15 pm 

simonmwh wrote:I guess they have missed 'apart from the holes' after the 'mint condition'?

:?

Then again we should put it down to lack of knowledge rather than malice.  It still bugs me though that I always try to read up on stuff that I sell and some peeps don't.

Maybe by 'mint' condition, he means the product has holes in it, just like some varities of mints you can buy.  :)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 62123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 606162