Laughable item descriptions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 21 of 62123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 606162
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:36 pm 

Asked a question...

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:57 pm 

serleran wrote:Asked a question...

Me, too.  I have edited my original post. :oops:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:20 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:That is funny. Look at his M1, "clean pages free of stains or writing" - maybe there is a fine print disclaimer down the bottom - 'this statement excludes tears, scrunching, folding and having been fed through a shredder.'

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Same seller also has this "Mint" copy of B10 that is 3-hole punched and incomplete for a BIN of $88:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0076791224

I almost feel like putting this in the shady sellers thread instead.  The seller has obviously looked up pricing to know its rarer but apparently missed the fact that their copy has holes and is incomplete.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:55 pm 

Mars wrote:

Same seller also has this "Mint" copy of B10 that is 3-hole punched and incomplete for a BIN of $88:

I almost feel like putting this in the shady sellers thread instead.  The seller has obviously looked up pricing to know its rarer but apparently missed the fact that their copy has holes and is incomplete.

Ah, welcome to the world of Comic books and sports cards. People see a price in a price guide and ignore the fact that their copy has no cover so it won't be going for the near mint price. (added to the fact that aprice guide isn't an offer to buy, just some market research at best, and most common what s number of sellers were hoping to get for it).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:04 pm 

Mars wrote:

Yeah, that one amused me, as well.  I am currently seeking a complete copy of B10, so I saw this one recently, as well.  lol

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Ah, welcome to the world of Comic books and sports cards. People see a price in a price guide and ignore the fact that their copy has no cover so it won't be going for the near mint price.

Heh.  Reminds me of the local record shop last time I was in.  Someone phoned up asking about the prices for old Beatles LPs, and after they hung up the clerk/proprietor went on a small spiel about how people find these things in terrible shape (mould, scratches, warping, etc.) in their garages and promptly go "Some of these are worth money, therefore this must be worth a fortune!"

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:28 pm 

g026r wrote:
Heh.  Reminds me of the local record shop last time I was in.  Someone phoned up asking about the prices for old Beatles LPs, and after they hung up the clerk/proprietor went on a small spiel about how people find these things in terrible shape (mould, scratches, warping, etc.) in their garages and promptly go "Some of these are worth money, therefore this must be worth a fortune!"

True story, the shop I bought comics at during my college days, I was good friends with the owner. During the Comic Book Craze of the early 90s, everyone was trying to cash in on the inflated values.  So one Saturday this owner gets a call while I'm there, a family has driven into town to sell a box of comics that the guy has looked at in the guide and appraised at 100's of dollars.  The owner tells him to come by and he'll look at them.  The seller drives up in a 100 year old station wagon packed full of kids, dogs, chickens, etc.  It seems he was so excited about his comics find in the attic he has brought the entire family on the long drive up to Dallas (he traveled a couple hundred miles) and they are going to have a weekend vacation with the money he is going to earn.

So we look at the comics, all silver age for sure, but in awful shape.  I'm talking grease stains, silverfish damage, well read and loved but essentially worthless.  The owner tells the guy that and explains that the comic guide price is for MINT copies of said copies, not ones that look like they have been used to clean oil pans.  The guy almost breaks down crying, as he has no money and was counting on the $100's of dollars earned to pay for a hotel room and gas, since he as arrived on "E" and has no money for gas, hotel rooms, or food.  The owner in a very nice act of charity gives the guy $20 for what is destined to be thrown into the trash, which will fill up his car (this was almost 20 years ago when gas was cheap) and get the family station wagon back home.  

So the guy left sadder but wiser, and we tossed the comics in the dumpster because of the terrible condition (who wants to let silverfish eaten comics into your collection???), and the owner confided to me that he got one of those a WEEK and usually sent them on their way, but this guy was so pitiful he couldn't let him and his family hitchhike home.  Of course no doubt when the guy got home, he probably bitched about the rip off comic book owner who swindled him out of those "great" comics.... :roll:

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:00 pm 

At the lower end on the silly price spectrum.  This seller is listing directly onto ebay.co.uk.  Good condition..................it hurts so bad. :)

Leave it down to experience from a new seller.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:11 pm 

I think I broke my laptop turning it over to see the picture. 8O

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:32 pm 

Ah, yes just saw that A4.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0255495719

Because everyone knows, the best high-quality D&D products are kept sonic-proof.   :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:43 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:

Because everyone knows, the best high-quality D&D products are kept sonic-proof.   :D

lol good find. description reads like obsessive hawkwind fan. use your gloves that is what they are there for :lol: :lol:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:07 pm 

I am just scratching my head at his use of the word 'feathers'  :scratch:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:43 pm 

This description is only for those so expert in computer technology to be able to understand the contents of a web page just looking at the HTML code:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:14 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:use your gloves that is what they are there for :lol: :lol:

For those who have no idea WTF he is talking about, "Sonic Attack" is a song by Hawkwind, with spoken-word lyrics by Michael Moorcock.  Rakeesh's line is a play on one of the lines of the song.  Moorcock contributes some truly strange lyrics to the album.   8O

You can Google for the lyrics.  From my addled memory, here are the first few lines:

In case of sonic attack upon your district
Follow these rules
If you are making love
It is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously
Try to get as far away from the sonic source as possible

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:00 pm 

;) ;) good to know not alone when world vanishes into black hole ^^

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:For those who have no idea WTF he is talking about, "Sonic Attack" is a song by Hawkwind, with spoken-word lyrics by Michael Moorcock.  Rakeesh's line is a play on one of the lines of the song.  Moorcock contributes some truly strange lyrics to the album.   8O

You can Google for the lyrics.  From my addled memory, here are the first few lines:

In case of sonic attack upon your district
Follow these rules
If you are making love
It is imperative to bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously
Try to get as far away from the sonic source as possible

uhmmm, i'm sure you're right... rather than this extremely plausible explanation, i would say that the only sonic attack the seller saw was directed to his brain.. and it had been a natural 20!  8O

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:03 pm 

Presenting:

Rare D&D Masters Rule Book - A real collector's item!

But wait, this is a double treat, the Seller has another rare offer:

The equally rare Players Manual

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 21 of 62123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 606162