Laughable item descriptions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 62123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 606162
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:32 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So what do they build the houses out of in Europe?  You guys still using mud and sticks or what?

Ehm, you know, there is stone, there are bricks and cement... I understand that the oldest standing building in the US is Hawthorne's house in Salem, MA which dates back to 17th century, but we have plenty of buildings which are centuries older than that and are still well inhabited without any risk of crumbling. Stone is almost eternal.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So what do they build the houses out of in Europe?  You guys still using mud and sticks or what?  :lol:

:lol:

In the UK most houses are brick with older (pre-mid victorian?) houses being made of stone.

Mine was built circa 1905 is a fairly typical late-victorian/early edwardian design and is brick.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:46 am 

i can also smell it a mile off too. the smoke smell actually makes me feel sick

It didn't used to bother me, when I was around 11, but then my father died (due to a smoke-related assistance) and my mom stopped smoking... it took a few years, but now I can smell it when its around, and it gives me a headache, or makes me feel sick, depending on how strong it is.

Some people have allergies. This is not that much different, so I don't see why people would act as if its abnormal.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:15 pm 

All you guys are lucky to have a house, I live in an old shoe box along side the road.... :wink: Someone has to get that reference.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:02 pm 

I have to admit, I can instantly smell smoke.. also smoke can yellow pages as it does wallpaper over long periods of time.
It's like the smell of dog, can't stand that either. It's a bitch to get out of soft furnishings too.

We don't smoke, don't own any pets due to my allergies and you know, money, but we do have a destructive little boy who apparently takes exception to the bible the Jehovas witness gave me as he's torn out Samuel 2. Maybe he just doesn't like David.

But anyway, I can smell smoke a mile off. Most of the time it turns my stomach but it depends on what sort of tabacco is being smoked. Some brands are less offensive than others, roll your owns tend to be less vomit inducing and pipe smoke is different again and reminds me of my granddad. Even so, i'd rather my books didn't smell of smoke, but alas.. our neighbour smokes and sometimes walking up the stairs I catch a waft of it seeping through the cracks in the wall near the bookshelf. It's revolting.

We have two inch thick stone walls, but our neighbours house and our own used to be one house, the bookshelf we keep our rp stuff on is built into the doorway that used to connect them on the top floor. their house was the shop so the downstairs are both seperate but upstairs used to be all the shopkeepers home. There's a part of me that would love to buy their house and smash through that bookshelf, heh. I don't think there's actually anything behind it so it's just a wooden set of shelving seperating us, odd huh?
In the basement at least they had a decency to cement it.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 pm 

Plaag wrote:All you guys are lucky to have a house, I live in an old shoe box along side the road.... :wink: Someone has to get that reference.

ShaneG.

oh dear
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:24 pm 

gyg wrote:
oh dear
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt

Did you say belt? oye you were lucky....(Could go on and on :D )

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:18 pm 

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/f ... iremen.htm

(There would have been a time when I could have quoted verbatim from this, and many others - now I rely on google!!)(and don't even get me started on 'four candles' - must be an English thing I'm afraid) :roll:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:45 pm 

gyg wrote:http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/f ... iremen.htm

(There would have been a time when I could have quoted verbatim from this, and many others - now I rely on google!!)(and don't even get me started on 'four candles' - must be an English thing I'm afraid) :roll:

:D

I have to get back to listening to the CDs since I don't have the show DVDs.

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:00 pm 

Interestingly enough, a Google revealed to me the hitherto unknown fact that it apparently started life as a sketch on one of the pre-Python shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWd5QC7K5E

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:57 pm 

I love this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-Module-S1-TOMB ... dZViewItem

The following quotes are all from his item description:

* S1 - TOMB OF HORRORS monochrome ; some highlighting

* The lot is in excellent condition (see item Rating System below).

Excellent = clearly not new, but still in great shape; no serious problems; no writing, highlighting, or stains; light corner/edge wear; may have price tag still affixed (good item for a typical user)

I've looked through several of his items and they are listed as in excellent condition and most list some or a lot of highlighting.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:30 pm 

Don't get me started about how wildly grading can swing. I've started relying solely on pictures to judge condition, it's always been the one thing about eBay I can't stand. The inability to hold it in my hand and flip through it. Make my own judgments on condition.

As long as none of my auctions pop up in this thread, I'm a happy seller. :)

Zen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:13 pm 

Busman wrote:I love this guy:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The following quotes are all from his item description:

Excellent = clearly not new, but still in great shape; no serious problems; no writing, highlighting, or stains; light corner/edge wear; may have price tag still affixed (good item for a typical user)

I've looked through several of his items and they are listed as in excellent condition and most list some or a lot of highlighting.

I have bought from Guido quite often in the past and even though he doesnt always have the best descriptions and isnt the nitpickiest grader, he usually provides great pictures and his customer service is better than most sellers.  He is also a member of the forum.  Too bad he doesnt include the crazy stories with his auctions anymore.  We used to give him some shit over those a few years ago but they were an interesting read to say the least.  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:19 pm 

Busman wrote:The following quotes are all from his item description:

Could be a cut-and-paste error. I've done it myself, trying to save time by re-using an old template but forgetting that something needed to be changed first.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:24 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:Don't get me started about how wildly grading can swing. I've started relying solely on pictures to judge condition, it's always been the one thing about eBay I can't stand. The inability to hold it in my hand and flip through it. Make my own judgments on condition.

As long as none of my auctions pop up in this thread, I'm a happy seller. :)

Zen

I got burned on this, this week. The picture was not the same as the item I received. They were of similar quality, though I would have rather had the one in the photo.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Could be a cut-and-paste error. I've done it myself, trying to save time by re-using an old template but forgetting that something needed to be changed first.

Ditto.

And as for crazy stories, we now have one that posts snippets of crazy things with their posts (damn I forgot who you are though..)

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:28 pm 

The Fringe Dweller ... ?

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1431

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:40 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:The Fringe Dweller ... ?

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1431

Ah thank you, yeah that crazy nut :)

ShaneG.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 62123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 606162