Laughable item descriptions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 62123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 606162
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:43 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:Sorry Mike, but being from Mississippi and living in Alabama we can only aspire to such greatness.  You guys are so lucky to have scored with heifers; we only ever had sows (and not the human kind.)  :wink:

And don't forget your cousins..... :wink:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:25 pm 

Hooray!!!  :D  :D  :D

ADVANCED 1978 D&D SPECIAL REFEERENCE WORK PLAYERS BOOK

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Oh, my gosh!!!!!  8O  8O  8O  

Damn lemurs get into everything these days.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 am 

From the item description

Seller wrote:THIS IS 124 PAGES OF PLAYERS SPECIAL HANDBOOK. BY GARY GYGOX.  

Head down and tend to those fields boy. Don't forgit to hitch up the plough to Gary Gygox now y'hear

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:39 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AD-D-Dungeons-Dra ... dZViewItem

read the auction description, involving the smell of smoke - oh dear :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:39 pm 

(and I just noticed his ebay id - oh dear again :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:46 pm 

gyg wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

read the auction description, involving the smell of smoke - oh dear :D

I've always been a bit puzzled by this "smoke-free" issue. My players have been smoking more or less everything in my house (mostly cigarettes, but definitely plenty of other things also), quite close to the books, but I definitely can't smell even the slightest hint of smoke from them. I wonder if this is a problem related to wooden houses so common in the US, since the smell of smoke tends to stick to wooden walls (that was the reason why the landlady of the house where I lived in CT used to smoke outside the house).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 pm 

guerret wrote:
I've always been a bit puzzled by this "smoke-free" issue. My players have been smoking more or less everything in my house (mostly cigarettes, but definitely plenty of other things also), quite close to the books, but I definitely can't smell even the slightest hint of smoke from them. I wonder if this is a problem related to wooden houses so common in the US, since the smell of smoke tends to stick to wooden walls (that was the reason why the landlady of the house where I lived in CT used to smoke outside the house).

I think Americans by and large are much more sensitive to the smoking issue, as it's been outlawed in almost every public venue the last few years, and the rate of smokers has been going down accordingly. When I get a module owned by a smoker I can instantly tell, and it doesn't even take holding the book in front of my face.   I don't think it has much to do with wooden walls; I think the issue is just more connected to the amount of smokers vs non-smokers (and the sensitivity of the latter) between Euro and non-Euro gamers.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:38 am 

I have also had items that smell of smoke and it isn't that pleasant.  (I'm an ex-smoker so I guess the worst sort.)

Smoking is also banned in pubs and restaurants in the UK now.

I suspect the Italians and French don't notice as they still smoke everywhere.  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:11 am 

guerret wrote:

So what do they build the houses out of in Europe?  You guys still using mud and sticks or what?  :lol:   I am very sensitive to smoke probably due to growing up in a home where both parents were heavy smokers.  I have also had a couple of roommates that smoked as well and I was never able to smell smoke on books, clothes, etc.  But now that I have lived in a smoke-free environment for a number of years, I can smell the slightest bit of smoke on just about anything.  And the "herbal" stuff?  I can smell those things a mile away.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:16 am 

i can also smell it a mile off too. the smoke smell actually makes me feel sick  :oops:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:32 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So what do they build the houses out of in Europe?  You guys still using mud and sticks or what?

Ehm, you know, there is stone, there are bricks and cement... I understand that the oldest standing building in the US is Hawthorne's house in Salem, MA which dates back to 17th century, but we have plenty of buildings which are centuries older than that and are still well inhabited without any risk of crumbling. Stone is almost eternal.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So what do they build the houses out of in Europe?  You guys still using mud and sticks or what?  :lol:

:lol:

In the UK most houses are brick with older (pre-mid victorian?) houses being made of stone.

Mine was built circa 1905 is a fairly typical late-victorian/early edwardian design and is brick.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:46 am 

i can also smell it a mile off too. the smoke smell actually makes me feel sick

It didn't used to bother me, when I was around 11, but then my father died (due to a smoke-related assistance) and my mom stopped smoking... it took a few years, but now I can smell it when its around, and it gives me a headache, or makes me feel sick, depending on how strong it is.

Some people have allergies. This is not that much different, so I don't see why people would act as if its abnormal.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:15 pm 

All you guys are lucky to have a house, I live in an old shoe box along side the road.... :wink: Someone has to get that reference.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:02 pm 

I have to admit, I can instantly smell smoke.. also smoke can yellow pages as it does wallpaper over long periods of time.
It's like the smell of dog, can't stand that either. It's a bitch to get out of soft furnishings too.

We don't smoke, don't own any pets due to my allergies and you know, money, but we do have a destructive little boy who apparently takes exception to the bible the Jehovas witness gave me as he's torn out Samuel 2. Maybe he just doesn't like David.

But anyway, I can smell smoke a mile off. Most of the time it turns my stomach but it depends on what sort of tabacco is being smoked. Some brands are less offensive than others, roll your owns tend to be less vomit inducing and pipe smoke is different again and reminds me of my granddad. Even so, i'd rather my books didn't smell of smoke, but alas.. our neighbour smokes and sometimes walking up the stairs I catch a waft of it seeping through the cracks in the wall near the bookshelf. It's revolting.

We have two inch thick stone walls, but our neighbours house and our own used to be one house, the bookshelf we keep our rp stuff on is built into the doorway that used to connect them on the top floor. their house was the shop so the downstairs are both seperate but upstairs used to be all the shopkeepers home. There's a part of me that would love to buy their house and smash through that bookshelf, heh. I don't think there's actually anything behind it so it's just a wooden set of shelving seperating us, odd huh?
In the basement at least they had a decency to cement it.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 pm 

Plaag wrote:All you guys are lucky to have a house, I live in an old shoe box along side the road.... :wink: Someone has to get that reference.

ShaneG.

oh dear
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:24 pm 

gyg wrote:
oh dear
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt

Did you say belt? oye you were lucky....(Could go on and on :D )

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:18 pm 

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/f ... iremen.htm

(There would have been a time when I could have quoted verbatim from this, and many others - now I rely on google!!)(and don't even get me started on 'four candles' - must be an English thing I'm afraid) :roll:

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 62123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 606162