Laughable item descriptions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:24 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Dungeons-and-Dr ... s-1979-and -LOT_W0QQitemZ160190911672QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44112QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is nothing in particular about the description of this auction thats laughable, as a matter of fact the seller did a lot of work describing it in great detail. The thing that makes this auction laughable is the fact that the seller has listed this auction as a Gallery Plus Pro-pack item, which effectively means they are spending $30 to sell $2 worth of books.....

And if you look at the seller's other items they have another 6 enhanced listings.  Ebay's got a love it.  Maybe the seller is doing this to promote his/her hands...they seem to show up a lot :wink:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:49 pm 

Yes. That is quite funny. I like the artfully displayed DM rule book sans cover. I like the fact that he is holding the books up in front of his face. Maybe he got a job with Sothebys and is practicing. Someone should offer him some no static soft gloves!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:34 pm 

Mint in shrunk wrap. The pen probably doesn't work, but hey, since it's mint shrunk in shrunk wrap, whoo knOwz?

And only $100. What a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-D-D-M2-MAZE-RID ... dZViewItem

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Mint in shrunk wrap. The pen probably doesn't work, but hey, since it's mint shrunk in shrunk wrap, whoo knOwz?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Interesting that there is a little gap in the posting where it says that "I am now rated    powerseller."

Apparently, the word "titanium" has been deleted and the gap shows.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:46 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Mint in shrunk wrap. The pen probably doesn't work, but hey, since it's mint shrunk in shrunk wrap, whoo knOwz?

That is by far the funniest, most retarded auction description I have ever read.  :lol:   I seriously wonder if the guy actually talks like he types?  DOUBTFUL IF STILL INK IN AFTER DECADES BUT MINT WITHIN MINT SHRUNK WRAPPING SO POSSIBLY?  When I think what Diamond Dave must look like I  get this image of that Sloth character from The Goonies wearing a D&D T-shirt.  Either that or the guy is three sheets to the wind when he types up his descriptions.

Mind-boggling stupidity to say the least.  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:15 pm 

Maybe he is a budding, but really bad rap artist.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 am 

It's possible that DM Dave is no longer any sort of power seller. The logo means nothing; it can be found and downloaded from any number of places on the InterWebs (not that you'd want eBay to find out you were doing such a thing ...)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:25 pm 

I like the "nothing some tape won't fix" line.  I guess if you're just going to play with it,  8O it doesn't matter.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:55 am 

Hmmm...I was looking at the description for the following item:

I especially like the part at the end:

This copy is still sealed in the factory shrinkwrap, but it is a bit crushed at the top end from incautious storage. Even so, the components are all unused and untouched by the hand of anyone who has just eaten greasy potato chips.

I don't eat greasy potato chips when I game. Cheetos, perhaps, but not greasy potato chips. Sheesh.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:21 am 

Not a laughable description, but a laughable shipping cost.

I know there has been discussion about shipping costs from Troll & Toad in the past, but this one really caught my attention.

A plush Cthulhu backpack with $52.48 Priority mail shipping to Canada  8O

Unless it is being shipping in a protective steel box I can not see it costing that much to ship.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:49 pm 

Troll & Toad is a complete farce. I actively make fun of them on my gaming blog, which is read by literally tens of people.  :)

Here's a fun one from a couple of days ago ... this is from one of the ads that pop up on the various game pages at BoardgameGeek. They are all keyword-generated, obviously, so the ad might be gone or expired by this point. Still, though, the odds of anyone paying this much for an easy-to-find version of the Cosmic Encounter boardgame are roughly the same as me suiting up for USC in this year's Rose Bowl:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:33 pm 

Screw Troll and Toad. They REALLY piss me off.

When I used to collect GW's 2nd Edition Talisman (and all the assorted pieces), I would scroll through dozens of their auctions - all of which said LIKE NEW or COMPLETE and 99% of the time it also added - "But doesn't include the box, which isn't needed since everything fits nicely into the main game!"

Or in their taglines for AD&D stuff it says NEW and then it's not in shrink, rather it's "like new" or in "like new, VG+ to EXC condition".

Apparently they must sucker lots of folks with their crappy descriptions. I wish there was some way I could block their schwag from my auction searches - I waste more time sorting through their false advertising than any other damn seller.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:43 pm 

T&T is pretty annoying for certain groups of collectors ... and, unfortunately, I fall into many of those groups:

* They have lots of Cosmic Encounter stock ... my specialty;

* They have lots of Dune stock ... my sub-specialty;

* They have lots of Talisman stock ... I divorced myself from that madness, thankfully;

* And I'm sure there's many more examples. And many other serious collectors that they've annoyed throughout the years.

So, yes, as CSH mentions, it would be nice to be able to instantly filter out their ludicrous items in search results. Sorry, T&T, but I'm not paying $79 for a non-sealed, slightly used Cosmic Encounter Expansion #3 ... and neither is anyone else, you bozos.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:47 pm 

Does anyone else count just 10 issues ... or see 10 issues in the photo?  :)

BTW, I almost posted this in "Interesting Non-TSR Items." Old Space Gamers are very collectible ... not to mention, quite a slice of gaming history.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:48 pm 

At one point they had a MINT CONDITION, 9.9 out of 10 Dragon's Tower for Talisman listed with a $500+ buy it now price.

(But without the box, because all the contents fit nicely into the main package!)

Asshats.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:56 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:At one point they had a MINT CONDITION, 9.9 out of 10 Dragon's Tower for Talisman listed with a $500+ buy it now price.

(But without the box, because all the contents fit nicely into the main package!)

Asshats.

2nd ed or 3rd ed?

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:00 pm 

Ah, Talisman ... down that road leads madness. Madness, I say!

Talisman (second edition) was one of my first collection fetishes when I discovered eBay. I finally had it all (sans Dragons), all in nice individual boxes, by about 1999 or 2000 ... and then I re-sold all of it. I think pursuing Talisman was more fun than owning Talisman.

Sorry, I'm getting off-topic ... give me a few minutes to find and post something laughable.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:02 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:I wish there was some way I could block their schwag from my auction searches - I waste more time sorting through their false advertising than any other damn seller.

If we're talking eBay, then you can -- it just takes a bit more work.

On the advanced search page there's a field that allows you to exclude sellers.  It's not immediately visible (since eBay hides all the extra search fields until you click the second 'Advanced Search' link), and you've got to go back to said page for every subsequent search.

On the other hand, saving the search to your favourites afterwards will keep the excluded sellers list.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

PreviousNext