Laughable item descriptions
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:31 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:I wonder if the archer was there when Gary signed it?   :lol:

i would say so: just think that the guy drew it when he was at high school and gygax signed it in 1990...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:29 am 

aia wrote:
i would say so: just think that the guy drew it when he was at high school and gygax signed it in 1990...

:D  You are right !

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:19 pm 

Seller must have gotten Snoop Dog or Dr. Dre to write up the description for this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNEARTHED-ARCANA-AD ... dZViewItem

:puker:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:35 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Seller must have gotten Snoop Dog or Dr. Dre to write up the description for this one:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

:puker:

$15 for First Class Mail to Canada? Guess he had to almost triple shipping costs in order to pay his copywriter. (Assuming it's not just that the calculator is broken again.)

Should have gone for quadruple costs and got him to fact check it as well. Nobody could go listen to a Guns n' Roses record in 1985; they hadn't released anything at that point. :roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:54 pm 

g026r wrote:Nobody could go listen to a Guns n' Roses record in 1985; they hadn't released anything at that point.

According to Wikipedia's entry on the band, they could have been seen live that year. Hypothetically one could have banged one's head against the newly released hardback Unearthed Arcana during an early Guns n' Roses show, although I've always found the sturdier & heavier [pre-orange spine] DMG more effective in this regard.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:05 pm 

I stand corrected then.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:19 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Seller must have gotten Snoop Dog or Dr. Dre to write up the description for this one:

Ahh yes, the 80's gangster speak.  I learned what gangsters were and wore based on the extras from Breakin'

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:42 pm 

tedsim wrote:
Ahh yes, the 80's gangster speak.  I learned what gangsters were and wore based on the extras from Breakin'

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo was off the hizzy fo' shizzy.  8)

I can't believe I just typed that.  Someone please kill me now!

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:58 pm 

FormCritic wrote:His Reply:

Perfectly simple, my dear fellow over the pond. It was aimed at people who stick an item on watch with no intention of ever bidding for it. Hence, they don't even put in a bid if the auction ends and there were no other bids on the item. All seems rather pointless to me.
I've no objection in the slightest to people watching the items if they're interested in bidding and are keeping tabs on how the price goes up.
Hope that assuages your curiosity.

to recap: in this sense, watcher = prat with no intention of ever bidding.

A remarkably civil response seeing as I was trolling him.

Actually, I kind of like Meerkat now. :shaking2:

Have you noticed though, that if you delete a watched item from "My eBay", it takes more than 24 hours for the sellers # watching tally to go down?  It's basically not much more useful than any other unintelligent web-counter.  Maybe I decide to put one of Meerkat's auctions on my watch, but then, later, once I've had a chance to run his ID through the Toolhaus gauntlet, I decide he's not worthy of doing business with, so I 'X' him from my watchlist.  Suddenly, *I'M* a bad guy?  Bah!

bonk!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:52 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0155162025

As you can see in the picture, the cover shows heavy wear and even has the binding end taped even though the binding seems tight.

Heavy wear?  That's putting it mildly.  Probably closer to "dog-rogered after it was run over by a truck". :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:54 pm 

g026r wrote:

Heavy wear?  That's putting it mildly.  Probably closer to "dog-rogered after it was run over by a truck". :D

the first print D&DG that was sold at GenCon was worse than that - you should have seen it!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:15 pm 

Yikes, that one looks a bit like mine, except for the duct tape.   Too much rubbing against other books over the years I guess

What did the one sell for at GenCon??

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:20 pm 

tedsim wrote:Yikes, that one looks a bit like mine, except for the duct tape.   Too much rubbing against other books over the years I guess

What did the one sell for at GenCon??

cant remember the amount but we were all scratching our heads thinking the bidders all needed lobotomys :) it did go for a high price considering the condition.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:36 am 

Not really a laughable description but I thought that the picture (or lack of one) was kind of strange:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Advanced-Dungeons-D ... dZViewItem

Never understood why some sellers dont take pictures of the item but then put an odd graphic where the picture should be.  Kinda stupid if you ask me.  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:18 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Not really a laughable description but I thought that the picture (or lack of one) was kind of strange:

Never understood why some sellers dont take pictures of the item but then put an odd graphic where the picture should be.  Kinda stupid if you ask me.  :?

What are you talking about? That's what my books look like.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:26 am 

I've got nine of those wisps. Duh. They're like ultra-common.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:26 am 

silver_beetle wrote:
What are you talking about? That's what my books look like.

Hmmm...the guy lives in Plano, Texas.  Wonder just how far away from me he is?  Maybe I will bid on the auction and ask him if I can pick them up.  Then I can go over to his house and smack him on the back of the head for being a doofus.  :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 pm 

another classic inflated condition.  listed as "Very Fine".  take a look at that nice spine crease.  on top of that, if you look closely the cover doesn't line up right, you can see part of the first page...

-dave

PreviousNext