Laughable item descriptions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 56 of 62123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 606162
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:28 pm 

I like that the 'prototype' pictured was printed after they presumably 'got it right'.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:I like that the 'prototype' pictured was printed after they presumably 'got it right'.

Whaddya mean, "got it right"? They're still trying to get it right. Haven't you seen the 5th edition thread ;)?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:09 pm 

Hehe. I did say 'presumably'.  :D

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Would have put this in silliest prices, but this thread need moar posties. ;-)

Prototype D&D? Really?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Added yesterday, this is funny:
Q:          Is this the prototype set for all the D&D versions that came before it?         Sep-27-11
A:          Hello There :) Yes, The White Set was the Prototype for Dungeons and Dragons. It was the first product ever released by Tactical Studies Rules in 1974 which later became known as TSR. It came with 3 booklets. TSR later released 4 more booklets to go with the White Set in 1976. Hence this is a complete White Set. I hope this answers your question. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have any further questions :) Ron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friends help you move. True friends help you move bodies...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 pm 

That's my question!   :D

The seller obviously didn't read it real hard before answering.

After he answered, I told him that the white box OCE is not the prototype and that his price and claims were getting comments online.  

I directed him to this strand.

Silliness aside, the seller does have booklets in nice condition.  It is a valuable set.  I advised him to get advice on the Acaeum.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am 

Hilarious and there are two bids.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 pm 

FormCritic wrote:After he answered, I told him that the white box OCE is not the prototype and that his price and claims were getting comments online.

It looks like the sort of confusion I see in editing, where a writer seeks to make factual statements about a precisely defined technical term. They focus on the term itself (here "white box" or "D&D"), while ignoring the words of general English which are applied to it arbitrarily ("prototype").

When someone pointed out the error, the seller replied with dates & data, but nothing about the mis-used word. They don't need the Acaeum, they need a dictionary.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:17 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
It looks like the sort of confusion I see in editing, where a writer seeks to make factual statements about a precisely defined technical term. They focus on the term itself (here "white box" or "D&D"), while ignoring the words of general English which are applied to it arbitrarily ("prototype").

When someone pointed out the error, the seller replied with dates & data, but nothing about the mis-used word. They don't need the Acaeum, they need a dictionary.

I think this is exactly right. But when the confusion is about the words "before" and "after" I don't see how a dictionary can help. I think he understands the term "prototype"; where I think his mental block (if there indeed is one) lies is in the notion that the booklets are labeled "copyright 1974" and the box reads "Original Collector's Edition", which by some kind of bizarro-logic seems to mean to him that it's the first printing.

However, he seems to have toned down his rhetoric on relisting the item.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:17 pm 

Ten years ago I would've thought my white box set (4th) would've brought $500, or more.  
I had nothing to go on, no market with which to compare prices.
I've learned tons from The Acaeum, but jeez, I've been on here off-and-on for 5 or 6 years, and I still struggle with whether a given item is a good deal or a ripoff.

If this guy can get $500 for an OCE, then more power to him.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:56 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
I think this is exactly right. But when the confusion is about the words "before" and "after" I don't see how a dictionary can help. I think he understands the term "prototype"; where I think his mental block (if there indeed is one) lies is in the notion that the booklets are labeled "copyright 1974" and the box reads "Original Collector's Edition", which by some kind of bizarro-logic seems to mean to him that it's the first printing.

However, he seems to have toned down his rhetoric on relisting the item.

I read (and re-read) the original posting multiple times. I never saw a claim that the box set was a prototype within the listing. It wasn't until the word 'prototype' was suggested by a potential buyer (?) that he went along with calling it such: "Q: Is this the prototype set for all the D&D versions that came before it? A: Hello There :) Yes, The White Set was the Prototype for Dungeons and Dragons. It was the first product ever released by Tactical Studies Rules in 1974 which later became known as TSR. It came with 3 booklets. TSR later released 4 more booklets to go with the White Set in 1976. Hence this is a complete White Set. I hope this answers your question. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have any further questions :) Ron"

This seems like a childish setup, orchestrated by the question-asker who knew full well that the OCE was not a prototype but was hoping that the seller would go along with it. This is supported by the wording of the question "prototype....all the D&D versions that came BEFORE it?"

If the seller had actually advertised the OCE as a prototype, then I could understand the subsequent outpouring of derision from the members here. Instead, he fell for a prank (like when you have  friend get on all fours behind someone so that you can push the unsuspecting nerd backward causing him to fall over your crouching accomplice).

I just hope neither pusher nor croucher is a member here :(

If it was a member, then I certainly hope you derived whatever validation you needed as a result of your prank.

I absolutely agree that the price was (and still is) too high, but flicking of booger on someone so that you can point and yell "Hey look at this kid with a booger on him" is simply bullying...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:15 pm 

'Cept for one problem... when I originally found the auction, it was before the question had been asked. The word 'prototype' was part of the listing title (and description IIRC) then. This go 'round, it has been fixed. Seller knows better now.

So there was no baiting. Not initially at any rate.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:35 pm 

I never saw the original version, but see that he adjusted the listing on 28 September. Maybe that is when he removed the word. If that is how this all happened, then it seems as though he responded appropriately to some of the members' emails and changed the wording. In this case, then it is really just a matter of a mistake in semantics and, while funny, hardly cause for speculation by some that he was being dishonest.

And, by the way, sorry if it seemed like I was making it out that I was directly talking to you. I just happened to quote your comment because it was the last in the thread related to the "prototype" OCE. :oops:

Basically, this issue just seemed a bit like a feeding frenzy of sorts, and there still doesn't seem to be a good reason. Maybe it is just a slow news day...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:38 pm 

nevcoup wrote:This seems like a childish setup, orchestrated by the question-asker who knew full well that the OCE was not a prototype but was hoping that the seller would go along with it. This is supported by the wording of the question "prototype....all the D&D versions that came BEFORE it?"

If the seller had actually advertised the OCE as a prototype, then I could understand the subsequent outpouring of derision from the members here. Instead, he fell for a prank (like when you have  friend get on all fours behind someone so that you can push the unsuspecting nerd backward causing him to fall over your crouching accomplice).

I just hope neither pusher nor croucher is a member here :(

If it was a member, then I certainly hope you derived whatever validation you needed as a result of your prank.

I was the person who asked him that question...as is stated just a few posts above.

The seller dang well knew what he was doing.  

I believe he knew it from the start...but he kept listing his item as the prototype version of the game after many others (myself included) told him he was wrong.

I was astonished when he actually posted my question as if it were a serious inquiry.  My question was meant to instruct him.

I think he was fishing for a sucker and it didn't work.

If you had been following his original listing you would know that.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:57 pm 

I guess its a good thing Al Sharpton isnt a D&D collector:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEGROMIGAN-ROLE ... 7871963269

:P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:28 pm 

8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm 

This thread needed a little bumparoonie.

If these are SUPER RARE, then I guess 1st print woodgrains must be an urban legend.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I guess its a good thing Al Sharpton isnt a D&D collector:

:P

Hahaha.  I didn't come across this before now, but that's hilarious, John!

Homewood, Alabama indeed...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm 

Oh the pain!  The pain!

Check out the bottom, right corner. :(

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 56 of 62123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 606162